13»

Replies

• gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Netting at a deficit = fat and/or weight loss
    Netting at maintenance = no change in weight
    Netting at surplus = weight or muscle gain

You can still build some muscle when weight lifting on a deficit, but if you're looking for big gains then you need to be eatingaat at least maintenance, if not surplus. In your case I'd be eating at a deficit and continue weight lifting. If you aren't down to your ideal body fat percentage, I wouldn't recommend eating at maintenance or surplus while weight lifting. You'll build muscles under the fat and look fatter instead of lean.

I would definitely concentrate on fat loss first, then muscle gain. Not to say you shouldn't weight train while trying to lose fat though...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Good luck, the threads suggested to read are good. Lots of information and suggestions.

I am NO expert by any means, but if I were in your position I would keep up the heavy lifting (like in NROLFW), reduce cardio to HIIT twice a week (for your mental tick list) with an hour daily walk (more movement) and eat TDEE - 20% (bit less food). Just my opinion, I've got nothing to back it up except reading and thoughts.

You have the best motivation - your wedding!!

Best of luck and I am sure that you will look fabulous in your dress.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience...When I started NROLFW (the first time...long story) I started seeing real results in my arms within 2 months. It made me mad, because I wanted better looking arms when I got married (last April), but was afraid of bulking before the wedding so I just did cardio up until the wedding, then dove into reading NROLFW and started the program in June. When I went on vacation at the end of August, there was noticable definition in my arms that I have never, ever seen before. Therefore, I was irritated that I hadn't started weight training sooner! :bigsmile: I eat 1800-2000 calories a day, which is slightly below maintenance for me and the results are encouraging. I had to take a break since Christmas due to a medical condition, so I'm finally getting back in the gym (and restarting NROL)--but FWIW, eating at that level even while not working out, I didn't gain a single pound.

So...lift the weights and eat good food. You won't regret it!
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience...When I started NROLFW (the first time...long story) I started seeing real results in my arms within 2 months. It made me mad, because I wanted better looking arms when I got married (last April), but was afraid of bulking before the wedding so I just did cardio up until the wedding, then dove into reading NROLFW and started the program in June. When I went on vacation at the end of August, there was noticable definition in my arms that I have never, ever seen before. Therefore, I was irritated that I hadn't started weight training sooner! :bigsmile: I eat 1800-2000 calories a day, which is slightly below maintenance for me and the results are encouraging. I had to take a break since Christmas due to a medical condition, so I'm finally getting back in the gym (and restarting NROL)--but FWIW, eating at that level even while not working out, I didn't gain a single pound.

So...lift the weights and eat good food. You won't regret it!

What's NROLFW?