Anti-Meal Spreaders

Options
13»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,126 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite hair-splitting thread so far today.

Relax, OP. People are going to argue if you say the sky is blue. Don't let it ruin your day, and if you stop trying to change people, your life will become infinitely happier.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    My point is, what if THOSE people, the ones others are saying "you MUST ***" to, really DO need to do those things? What if they haven't tried it and it is what will work for their body? I don't see why it is BS to tell them they need to do something different that really may actually be what works for them.

There is a difference in "You should try because it might work for you." and "You MUST do this because (insert reason that has no scientific backing." The first one is giving a suggestion. The second one is repeating misinformation and bad science. HUGE difference there.

So yes, if someone tells someone "You must eat 6 small meals every day because it keeps your metabolism going." then they should be called on it. Because it is scientifically false and repeating false information is harmful.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite hair-splitting thread so far today.

Relax, OP. People are going to argue if you say the sky is blue. Don't let it ruin your day, and if you stop trying to change people, your life will become infinitely happier.

No one is arguing with her. She doesn't seem to comprehend what's being said and we're trying to explain it.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options

No one is arguing with her. She doesn't seem to comprehend what's being said and we're trying to explain it.

I comprehend it perfectly well so don't imply that I am not intelligent.

How do you know the reason a person gives for doing such & such is unscientific for that specific person? Have you tested that person? Do you know everything about their medical history or body composition? Do you know how their metabolism works?

I'm not unhappy debating things like this. I know I can't change people. However, I can try to get a better understanding of things and try to get others to look at things from both sides.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat when I'm hungry :tongue:

No really, I eat every 3 hours on average (between 2-4 hours). Sometimes I'll feel hungry an hour and a half after eating, for example breakfast is at 8 am and then its 9:30 am and I want to eat again (mental hunger lol) and say to myself "ok wait until 11 or 11:30" and make myself busy until my body feels hungry. It works for me. Some days I just graze all day on nuts, fruits, and vegetables and then will have a few meals with a protein and carbs. Then again some days I eat small breakfast and lunch and a HUGE dinner. Wtf is my pattern?? lol I don't know but YOU NEED TO DO IT MY WAY CUZ YOUR WAY IS WRONG.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

How do you know the reason a person gives for doing such & such is unscientific for that specific person? Have you tested that person? Do you know everything about their medical history or body composition? Do you know how their metabolism works?

I'm not unhappy debating things like this. I know I can't change people. However, I can try to get a better understanding of things and try to get others to look at things from both sides.

I'm sure you're quite intelligent, but you're arguing against a point no one made. That implies you don't comprehend what's been written. The WHY of why you don't comprehend it is not for me to decide.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options

No one is arguing that what they are doing it unscientific, but what they claim about what they are doing. It is not the meal frequency that results in the weight loss, it is the calorie deficit. When they claim that it is the 6 meals a day they and simply wrong, and yes, unscientific. If those meals help that particular person maintain their calorie deficit, fine and good, but don't claim it is the meal frequency thus making people who don't know any better think they must eat in a pattern that may not be beneficial to them and make it more likely they will not maintain their calorie deficit.