Is there a better measuring stick than BMI?

124»

Replies

• cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Where's a moderator?! SHUT THIS MOFO DOWN! It has been hijacked by people who are apparently medical experts.

Tapping out this piece. Yall are ridiculous!
  • Mdlea
    Mdlea Posts: 25 Member
    I honestly did not intend to start a bar fight with my original post. I just wanted to see what alternative measuring standards might be available.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    I honestly did not intend to start a bar fight with my original post. I just wanted to see what alternative measuring standards might be available.

Don't think it was you who started the bar fight dude...
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member

:laugh: Always a risk here on MFP - the most innocuous thread can degenerate pretty fast! Most people have their pet topics (as you can tell, one of mine is a virulent dislike of the misapplication of BMI :wink: ) and will fight/type to the death in defence of their theories/beliefs. Apologies for derailing the thread :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I didnt think it was nitpicky ....

there are like 4 categories in BMI

(i dont know what comes before underweight cause yeah)
    underweight
    healthy
    overweight
    obese

If you say the wrong one, you cant get mad if people ask for clarification- because its two completely different categories, my 1 cent
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 278 Member
    Err Cynthia.. dont kill me but with a height of 5'2 and weighing 120 lbs your BMI is splat bang in the healthy range
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Don't think it was you who started the bar fight dude...

Yeah, agreed. I thought the responses were pretty civil, then BAM, someone flew off the handle. I read back through the responses and still don't really see why, but it is always a risk on forums that someone will take something the wrong way.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Anything is better than BMI.

Yes.
    Clothing, the way you feel, all your NSVs are ALWAYS going to be better than BMI.