water fasting?

Options

Replies

• jessica00623
    Options
    Seriuosly? Are we back in high school where it's cool to starve ourselves? I eat anywhere between 1300 and 1700 calories a day and I'm losing pretty steadily every week. Fasting is NOT the answer. Go ahead and look for any and all posts in the forums about fasting and you'll think twice before posting such idiocrosies in the future. Weightloss is not some "quick fix" thing here. Now get off your computer/iPhone/iPod/iPad and go make yourself some dinner.
    l

you must not of read my last post, im not going to starve myself
    thats not for me, i was just curious because one of my friends was talking about it the other day.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    14awjut.jpg
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Um. NO. Intaking just water for a long period of time (one day is not good, more than that is probably dangerous) is not healthy.

People have done it out of ignorance or religious/political reasons. But it's NOT something you fool around with.

It's ok to ask, but honestly, use some common sense. :grumble: Does it make sense that a human body could run on water, which has NO calories (read: energy)? No.

Treat your body with RESPECT. It takes care of you for goodness sake!
  • jessica00623
    Options
    Yeah, i would be afraid to just drink water.
    i couldnt do it, not even for a day.
    i was more or less just interested in what other people
    thought about it.

And i know its not HEALTHY, im not stupid. now come on people.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    A lot of people fast for spiritual/religious reasons. It's a practice that goes back thousands of years in various spiritual paths including Christians, Jews, Hindus, etc. They are okay when it's over. Some people also juice fast for weight loss. Check out the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." You can find it on Hulu and Netflix.

I've fasted at various times for various reasons.

It's not for everyone but it shouldn't be demonized.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I fasted for 12 hours last week for bloodwork and had a raging headache all day! I certainly wouldn't do it unless I have to!

I always have that problem when I fast. Hunger headaches aren't fun. When I had surgery last December I had to fast for it and not take my medication. I ended up with a headache, bruises all over my arm from them trying to put the IV in because my veins were collapsing from not having anything to drink, and I just about assaulted the nurse because she thought after 12 hours of nothing in my system I could produce urine for a quick pregnancy test. I ended up telling her something along the lines of the last time I got laid and if I had gotten pregnant from it I'd be in a delivery room, not there. I was grumpy for two days after even after I got to eat.

I had already warned my bosses not to talk to me until after I had eaten. Unfortunately, the headache stayed even after I had already eaten and had my caffeine, etc...
  • jessica00623
    Options
    A lot of people fast for spiritual/religious reasons. It's a practice that goes back thousands of years in various spiritual paths including Christians, Jews, Hindus, etc. They are okay when it's over. Some people also juice fast for weight loss. Check out the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." You can find it on Hulu and Netflix.

Thats my point, its not for everyone but people do it!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    A lot of these replies seem really negative.
    I wouldn't just do it with out talking to a professional and really looking into it but there are lots of legit types of fasts done for different reasons. It's not as simple as just saying 'don't do it' or 'it's so unhealthy'
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thats my point, its not for everyone but people do it!

With all due respect, I do not see WHAT your point is - you ask a question about what people thought of it, get a bunch of folks saying its bad, and then state 'that's my point' when someone says its OK.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    And, please, I need the world to know that overuse of "Lol" is a pet peeve of mine. Unless you're actually Laughing Out Loud, instead of "chuckling in an awkward, embarrassed way," please refrain.

lol
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't just do it with out talking to a professional and really looking into it but there are lots of legit types of fasts done for different reasons. It's not as simple as just saying 'don't do it' or 'it's so unhealthy'

I am a professional. I say dont do it. problem solved.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh please! Fasting for 1-3 days is not bad for you. Long term of course it is. OP how about you do your own research on google instead of asking a bunch of know -it -alls on a forum.
  • MeganH1121
    Options
    I just finished my first attempt at the Master Cleanse which isn't as rediculous as a water cleanse, though very close to it. I won't explain it all, look it up. I only made it three days, but this is what I will say about it. It is extremely beneficial for cleansing toxins out of your body, and I could tell it was working in that respect, but the weight I lost came right back as soon as I caved to eating again. As far as losing weight, it is NOT the answer however as far as cleansing your system, it has many benefits and I am excited to try it again this summer when I can cleanse for a longer period of time. One of the signs the cleanse is working is a white, fuzzy tongue. I did develop this on my last day, and you are supposed to go really until your tongue turns pink again. This could be much longer than the original 10 days. Some people take up to four weeks to get their tongue pink again! No it's not a good option for weightloss, but it can be beneficial for other purposes. I say don't knock the Master Cleanse until you try it!
  • ebony__
    Options

What exactly is your profession?
    I'm nor suggesting to do it but surely people can respect that there are reasons and circumstances in which to consider it?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Ive heard of some people water fasting.
    i was just wondering if that would be a bad idea?
    like some people gain weight back that theyve lost but some dont.
    and wouldnt it be good to like, clean your body out? 0.o
    lol
    Let's see: no protein or fats just water. Protein and fats are ESSENTIAL to healthy living and living period. Uh no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

What exactly is your profession?
    I'm nor suggesting to do it but surely people can respect that there are reasons and circumstances in which to consider it?

fasting for medical diagnostic testing is the only valid physical reason to subject your body to the effects of fasting. fasting for spiritual and/or religous reasons is a personal choice that has nothing to do with weight loss which seems to be the OP's original reason. fasting to "detox" or "cleanse" the body of toxins is total nonsense. The body's liver and kidneys function best when fed and the liver and kidneys are all the detoxing we need.
  • ebony__
    Options
    I wouldnt say it's for everyone but I do know a selection of people who do it regularly, are all extremely healthy and swear by it!!
  • tarabear826
    Options
    And, please, I need the world to know that overuse of "Lol" is a pet peeve of mine. Unless you're actually Laughing Out Loud, instead of "chuckling in an awkward, embarrassed way," please refrain.

lol

lol

^^ Did was I was going to do. Lol.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I fast regularly for the mental benefits of it...really helps with mental clarity, etc. I'd never do it to lose weight.