Replies

• lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    heavy lifter here, bumping to read later
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    bump, i just got nrol4m in the mail today!!
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1. What is your heavy weight routine?
    2. Do you do cardio with training or only on off days or both or neither.
    3. What kind of weight did you start off with and how often do you increase the weight?
    4. Did you up your calories?
    5. Did you use any protein supplements?
    6. How long did it take you before you started seeing results?

Please, as suggested, read 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women' by Lou Schuler.

1. I mix up free weights and circuit training and had a Personal Trainer map out a routine for me. It WAS WORTH EVERY DOLLAR I spent as she made sure I was doing the weights the right way! I even try to get in a little cardio in between sets (jump rope etc)

2. I also do cardio as I am training for a 1/2 marathon. I do my weights about 3x a week and I run 5 days. There is overlap.
    If I wasn't training, I would not double up on the overlap days, I'd just do the weights. If you read the book, you will find cardio can actually 'undo' some of what you are doing with weights.

3. I started as heavy as I could, depending on the exercise, at least 20 lbs and move up. I do 3 sets, 10 each of the heaviest weights I can lift.

4. Yes, I increased my calories and I eat back exercise calories.

5. Yes, because I cannot eat enough to keep up with my calorie burn (marathon training)... I like the EAS Myoplex Lite drink. 20gms protein and 20 grms carbs each drink.

6. I felt results the next day... lol.. but with all this weight to loose it took a good month to really show.

Hope that helps!

• Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    1. My routines vary but many are Crossfit routines or variations thereof. The most common things I do include:
    - 10 rounds of 15 reps each of push-ups and deadlifts at 85 lbs (or squats at 85 lbs in place of deadlifts)
    - 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 ladder of bench press at 55 lbs, deadlifts at 115 lbs, and clean squats at 75 lbs
    - 40 sets of clean squat to push press to back squat to push press at 65 lbs

2. I do cardio a few days a week and by rapidly completing multiple rounds of several weight lifting exercises, I incorporate cardio there too. I also run recreationally.

3. For a lot of things, I started off with just the 45 lb bar (no added weight) or a 25 or 35 lb plate to hold. As my time improves or I no longer feel like my muscles are being pushed to the point of failure, I increase. I have a male trainer, and our goal is to get me lifting the equivalent of his weights, based on body weight. It's not realistic for everything, but the friendly competition gives me a goal and keeps me focused. In some exercises, I've already achieved it.

4. I've kept my calories at maintenance or slightly above and always eat back my exercise calories.

5. I almost always drink a whey isolate protein shake after working out and usually eat protein bars to increase my daily levels as well.

6. I don't remember exactly when I started seeing results, but it doesn't take long. If you choose not to take supplements, make sure you're eating enough protein. Your body needs it to build muscle.

My best advice to you would be start out light and watch your form. You can always increase your weights, but it's difficult to recover from an injury incurred by trying to go too heavy too soon, or lifting with poor form. A friend of mine was trying to be a bad-*kitten* and deadlift 190 lbs... she did it, but rounded her back and ended up with nerve damage in the process. Be smart about it and take it slow.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts 5x5 two weeks ago. I would definitely recommend it because it's so easy to follow. Just be sure you have your form right and you're set. A couple of other posters mentioned Starting Strength, which I've looked at and is also really good. It's similar except it uses cleans instead of barbell rows. I went with Stronglifts because the cleans looked too complex and intimidating for me. That said, Starting Strength has so much quality information about form, so I would suggest that you give that a look anyways.

I usually do a 5 minute warmup on either the rowing machine or treadmill. Then after lifting I'll do another 15 minutes. On off days, I usually do some form of cardio. I enjoy cardio and it's always been part of my routine whether it's running, or playing hockey or soccer.

3. What kind of weight did you start off with and how often do you increase the weight?
    I started lifting with dumbbells at home. However, when I started Stronglifts, I started with only the bar and have been adding approximately 5lbs to each lift every workout. I've increased my deadlifts by more than 5lbs each time though since I've gotten comfortable with my form and the lower weights were not challenging enough. On the other hand, I've failed to add any weight to my overhead press in the last two workouts because I still cannot complete the full 5x5.

Yes. I was originally eating 1400 calories but have since upped it to about 1650. (I'm 5'5" for reference)

I use chocolate Whey protein powder and usually have one protein shake a day.

Well, since I've only been at it for two weeks, I haven't really noticed any results visually. However, I've noticed plenty of strength gains and I'm surprised at the progress I've been able to make in such a short time. Also, yesterday I decided to do some bicep curls just for fun, to see what I could lift. A couple of months ago, I could only do 3 reps at 20lbs. Yesterday I did 3 sets of 8 reps at 20lbs. I was pretty impressed with myself.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love this thread--so interesting to read about what everyone else is doing. Thanks OP!

I'm on stage 1 of New Rules and love it.

I've cut back on cardio since I started New Rules. I do a 10 minute warm-up on the elliptical or stairmaster, then about 20 minutes of Tabatas on the stationary bike after I lift. I try to walk at least one other day per week. Ideally (time permitting, and after I get over an injury) I'd do 2 days of cardio and/or yoga in addition to the lifting/HIIT routine.

I started with 65 for squats and 85 for deadlifts; 15 lb. dumbells for step-ups and lunges. I've upped a bit each workout.

Only a tiny bit. I've been netting around 1500. I may up them after a couple of weeks. I've been very careful to hit my protein goal and am trying to keep carbs lower (not truly low, just not high...)

I have a protein shake after I work out--either ON Gold Standard or Designer Whey.

I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks, but am definitely seeing strength increases. I'm looking forward to measuring!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Save :smile:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I do StrongLifts 5 x 5.

And I also work out with a PT twice a week.

My current weights are:
    Squats 60kg
    Deadlifts 70kg
    Overhead Press 25kg
    Rows 40kg

I do 20min of cycling before my lifting session and 10mins of walking afterwards. That is the only cardio I do.

I started off with the empty bar, which weighs 20kgs.

4. Did you up your calories? Yes, from 1200 + exercise cals, to 1500 + exercise cals.

5. Did you use any protein supplements? I take a protein shake occasionally.

The 'inches lost' was fairly quick, but I was showing a weight gain on the scale for 2 - 3wks. to start.
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    starting stronglifts 5x5 on monday!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Great info! :) saving this for reading later
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    My answer in bold
    1. What is your heavy weight routine? - I used to work with a PT & now I'm applying everything that was taught
    2. Do you do cardio with training or only on off days or both or neither. - I separate my cardio from weight training days
    3. What kind of weight did you start off with and how often do you increase the weight? - I started with a measely 4lb. dumbbells but that was way back 2005 when I joined a gym the first time. Then I stopped for many years & then only came back 2010 but only went serious with heavy weights last year. I increase weight when my body can do more than 12reps
    4. Did you up your calories? - YES during lifting days but I eat lower during off days
    5. Did you use any protein supplements? - sometimes whenever I'm in a hurry or during lunch when I'm not really hungry but I have to eat something
    6. How long did it take you before you started seeing results? - I remember starting seeing some results after 3 months

I just want to know if I'm on the right track as I don't hear of many women doing heavy weights.

My routine is as follows:
    1. Squats with 20kg (44lb) barbell 3 sets of 7
    2. Machine leg press 100kg (220lb) 3 sets of 7
    3. Lat pull downs 40kg (88lb) 3 sets of 6-7
    4. Lunges with 7kg (15lb) dumbells 3 sets of 10
    5. Military arm raises 20kg (44lb) 3 sets of 7
    6. Bicep curls 10 kg (22lb) 3 sets 6
    7. Abs (what ever I feel like doing on the day)
    8. Bench press 10 kg (22lb)
    9. Tricep kick backs 7kg (15lb) while in plank

You're routine is OK for me. Just start off slowly & if you find that you can do more than 12 reps then its time to increase the weights