Anyone else addicted to the scales?

Options
I know I shouldn't weigh daily, what with bodily fluid fluctuations etc, what you have eaten the day before etc... I am just finding it such a hard habit to get out of!

Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone else got any tips as to how to stop myself??

Maybe I should put my scales down in the shed! lol

Replies

• kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    How is your emotional status when you weigh daily? There is nothing inherently wrong with weighing daily. It isn't about the scale. It's about your personality. If you can handle the daily flunctuations without it causing you stress or to second guess what you are doing, then go for it. If you are getting wigged out when you see the numbers jump, then it is not a tool you want to use daily. Either way is perfectly fine. It's important to know where you fall on this spectrum and use or don't use the scale frequently accordingly.
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as a sort of motivational thing. If I wait a week I get lazy until the day before weigh in!

Like Kcoftx says it depends on your emotions, ie: if I see a gain from the day before I know it's probably waterweight so I try to drink more water and have less salt which sorts me out pretty quick and I see a loss again the next day :)
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If I see a loss it really spurs me on... this morning I saw a 1lb gain. Which I know is madness as I haven't consumed 3,500 cals to have that gain, so it's water or whatever. I do feel a bit downhearted about it and not as upbeat as I did yesterday.

I think I might put them down in the shed and see if I can resist. I always weigh first thing in the morning, after a wee and before a cup of tea, so I figure if I have my cup of tea and my banana a little earlier I then won't weigh myself.

God, how complicated! lol
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Best way out of this is to down a glass of water as soon as you get up, then you wont be so tempted.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i do it every am after i wake up. it's a bad habit yes, but i can't stop. For me i find it helpful to look back at what i ate the day before if i see a gain, then i know it's most likely water retention. The i look at what i ate that may of caused it and either eat less of that next time or make sure if i eat that, to drink more water....
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always want to weigh myself... I am losing inches more than I am on the scale so it's very depressing :(
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories this week and told my bf to hide the scale because of fear of an impending gain. He just left it where it was before (under the bathroom sink) as a "clever" hiding place :P So I kept using it all week. I might have gained a lb earlier in the week but I lost 2.6 overall in the week.

I think I would really love to avoid the scale for a few weeks and then be surprised, but I worry about it being a bad surprise. I always weigh myself at night before the weigh-in day (every monday) to see if I'll be losing on weigh-in day.... generally I lose 2.5-3 lbs on the scale overnight.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always want to weigh myself... I am losing inches more than I am on the scale so it's very depressing :(

i would be happier if that was me.. i would love to loose inches more then lbs...unfortunately i haven't lost either in 3 months :(
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as a sort of motivational thing. If I wait a week I get lazy until the day before weigh in!

This is me. Not weighing myself often is how I've gotten into trouble in the past....but everyone is different.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I've been weighing daily, but its getting discouraging, thinking im going to start weighing once a week. Not sure how this will work out yet..... I need all the motivation i can get and weighing daily was helping...till i stopped losing. LOL
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and able to handle weighing themselves daily differently. I think part of my attitude is that my goal isn't actually scale related, I want to fit a certain size clothing and have a certain body shape (size 10, nothing unrealistic). The numbers on the scale are just a goal to help me get there, nothing else. If I can reach my goal before my goal weight, my goal weight doesn't matter anymore.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Get someone else to hide them for you x
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I've got the same "goal" size 8/10, although I also have a number i'd like to see on the scales too.
  • jesuslovesme145
    Options
    Scales scare me... :-/
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If the fluctuations aren't bothering you, don't worry about it.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you're doing with the information. Are you using it to beat yourself up for gaining a pound, or as incentive to try harder? I weigh almost every day, usually not weekends, as I tend not to be as careful on weekends. If the numbers go up even slightly, it motivates me to stay on track, or get back on track.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing daily for the past few weeks. I think it helps me stay on track. Do what works for you!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have gotten into this habit. I just want to know that I'm on track, but it just makes me worry. Wish I could quit!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    i do it every am after i wake up. it's a bad habit yes, but i can't stop. For me i find it helpful to look back at what i ate the day before if i see a gain, then i know it's most likely water retention. The i look at what i ate that may of caused it and either eat less of that next time or make sure if i eat that, to drink more water....

I'm the same way.
  • kjones3535
    kjones3535 Posts: 139
    Options
    I look at the scale every morning but I only log it once a week. I like to see the fluctuations and compare with how I feel or how I ate the day (or two) before to see how it really affects me. But, for sure counting it only once a week keeps me from getting obsessed!