Starvation mode?

Options
13»

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    everyones digressing a little from the topic, which wasnt 'is or is not starvation mode real' but, what are the contributing factors
    i told you what the contributing factor is 2 posts up. Not what you wanted to hear?

yeah thats great, my phone hadnt synced to see the most recent posts
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    People need to be careful when quoting the study in WW2. It is important to note that the subjects only stopped losing weight and started actually catabolizing their lean muscle when they reached a body fat percentage of between 5-10%. It also should be noted that these subjects were taking part in extremely vigorous exercise for long periods of time during the study, while on a severely restricted diet.

People won't listen, because many people still think that even if they have a BF% of 30, they will cannibilize their own muscle, they are following certain ideas because it is what they want to hear. They don't want to listen to the ideas that they may actually need to cut their food down in order to lose weight, for some people that is too damn much to bear I guess.

Things have gone beyond ridiculous.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    what people talk about here on MFP (eating too few calories) should actually be called "conservation mode" not starvation mode.

eating too few calories causes your body to conserve energy and thus slows or even stops weight loss. starvation mode is drastic calorie deficit for prolonged time that causes the body to start eating muscle then eventual death. I dont suggest either.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode occurs when you consume 50% or less of your total calorie needs for an extended period of time. It is not based on your bmr, but your TDEE. In simple terms if you have a bmr of 2000 and a TDEE of 3000 per day. Say you ate only 1500 cal per day that would be a 50% reduction and you would slowly starve yourself. This has been well documented and the posters saying starvation mode doesn't exist need to do some research on the matter before spewing false info. Of course eating at a lower deficit can have the same affects but will take longer to achieve.

Here's a study that was done on men right after WW2 to help figure out how best to treat all the starving people after the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Hmmm interesting.
    My TDEE is only 1733 so your saying i can eat say 900 calories a day and won't go into starvation mode, because that's not less than 50%?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    what people talk about here on MFP (eating too few calories) should actually be called "conservation mode" not starvation mode.

eating too few calories causes your body to conserve energy and thus slows or even stops weight loss. starvation mode is drastic calorie deficit for prolonged time that causes the body to start eating muscle then eventual death. I dont suggest either.

See, this is where I have a great problem with the whole notion.

How can weightloss just stop, why would it stop when the body is still using energy?

If it stops, what exactly is the body using for energy?

The body will eat muscle when the bodyfat is under around 8%, that excludes the vast majority of people on this site. Before bodyfat reaches 8%, it will dig into its reserves of fat, which is what it is stored for.

Much of the scaremongering that goes on on this site defies the laws of physics and is ridiculous to the extreme.

Metabolism does not stop either, if it did people, you would all know about it, or your families and friends would, because you would be dead.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

How can weightloss just stop, why would it stop when the body is still using energy?

The body will eat muscle when the bodyfat is under around 8%, that excludes the vast majority of people on this site. Before bodyfat reaches 8%, it will dig into its reserves of fat, which is what it is stored for.

Much of the scaremongering that goes on on this site defies the laws of physics and is ridiculous to the extreme.

Metabolism does not stop either, if it did people, you would all know about it, or your families and friends would, because you would be dead.

But catabolism can set in long before actual starvation.

Edit; Although I do agree that the wrong name is applied to the 'starvation mode' most people are talking about here.
  • barackobamamama
    Options
    Thank you. I am so sick of people worrying about starvation mode. The only time you'd need to be concerned about it is if you literally have no fat on your body, are not taking in any calories and energy is starting to come from your bones and muscles.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options

This^^
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I never said anything about metabolism stopping.