? for Runners that don't believe in wearing shirt b4 earned

Options
k7n2w3
k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
Ok I am a total subscriber to you can only wear the shirt AFTER the race and after it is earned. My friends and I are firm believers but don't judge others for wearing it though. I would like to ask those that also believe in that theory a question... so my sister knows someone who is running in the Police Memorial Run from Philly to Washington DC. To raise money for that, the person is selling tshirts from the race that say Police Memorial Run 2012... looks like a regular race shirt. I have run several races and if I had to cancel on a race I know that I would not wear the shirt from that race... since the shirt is what is given in exchange for the donation I'm not sure if that's a game-changer. The theory of "it's for charity" does not work because every race i do/will do is for a charity and if I cancelled on a race then I wouldnt wear the shirt. I have no problem giving my $12 donation without a tshirt but wasn't sure the "runner's protocol" on this. thoughts? And i'm not asking to be told that the "not wearing until earned is flawed" i'm pretty stuck on that theory and can't be talked away from it lol
Thanks!

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Isn't wearing the shirt at any time good promotion for the cause?
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can see that point of view but then the shirt shouldn't say "run" on it in a way. And when you sign up for a run it's a commitment to the charity so then you earn the shirt by fulfiling the requirement. I am more concerned with the idea of "not wearing" unless you earn it and if this particular shirt is under that rule since it's a 'run'. I have no problem donating the money to it though just having the shirt without doing the run.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I usually don't wear the shirt for at least a week after the race. I haven't signed up and not competed yet so I can't help you. I do believe that it's up to you. You paid money to do an event and if you can't attend but are given a free shirt I don't see why not. It doesn't matter if you ran or not, the money is still being contributed, unless it's a pride thing for you. If you decide to not wear it for pride, what happens to the shirt?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Seems WAY more complicated than it needs to be.
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They give you the shirt to wear during the race. Of course most shirts are cotton and aren't very good to wear. Most high end races are giving out technical shirts which unless they say "Finisher" on them are totally acceptable to wear.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Definately.
    What about people that work at the race or volunteer? Do they not get to wear the shirts just because they didn't run the race? :tongue:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'll wear my shirt during the race if it's for a 5k, but you better believe I'm saving my first half-marathon & marathon shirts for the second I cross the line.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    You paid for the shirt. You can wear it if you want to.
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Seriously? It is a T-SHIRT...

I'd think there are more important things to focus on than worrying that someone might be wearing a t-shirt that they didn't actually "run" in.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So...if someone does not play for an NFL team should they not wear an NFL jersey?
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Who cares?
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Sounds complicated and a tad picky.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    So...if someone does not play for an NFL team should they not wear an NFL jersey?

lol, this made me think of my dad. Anytime he see's someone all geared out in their favorite team's attire, he points them out and calls them a "jock-sniffer"

Gotta love dad.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    sorry OP, but don't you have more important things in life than to worry about this? it seems you have given this WAY too much thought.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

TOTALLY this, PLUS I don't run and wear the shirts to workout in all the time. I do, however walk and/or avid volunteer. To me, its more about getting the cause's name out there so others will ask questions and promote awareness, but again, I'm not a runner, so....

ETA: I've been involving in organizing and volunteering for a cause near and dear to my heart for 10+ years. It is ALL about the advertisement of the cause.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Exactly. That's WHY they give out shirts. Its not the same as recieving a ribbon or metal after the accomplishment of completing the run. Its to create awareness in others - those that would see you (friends, family, acquaintenances, coworkers etc) - and to promote their cause, so they can get more funding to do what they need to. Trust me when I say, your $12 donation doesn't go very far. In fact, you could donation a $1000 and it still doesn't go far, so they NEED that awareness and funding. The shirt has nothing to do with whether you even show up for the run or not little alone complete the run.

If you don't want to wear it till after, then don't. Do whatever makes you happy. But please don't pass judgement on others for doing what the charity intended in the first place - which is to wear the shirt.

(I've been involved in running and participating in non-profit charity events for 22 years)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should wear the shirt unless they win the race.

That's how those races work, right? If you come in first, you get to wear the shirt?
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

LOL.

I think that the shirt is in return for your donation, I think it is good promotion to wear it for the cause.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^

Or print different shirts for the runners. However, IMO - who the heck cares if you are promoting a good cause? The tshirts aren't a trophy. They are to bring attention to a cause. As someone who works for a non-profit org which does events, we print shirts for messaging - not necessarily as a reward. It's a premium people get for participating...like a PBS tote bag.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I can see that point of view but then the shirt shouldn't say "run" on it in a way. And when you sign up for a run it's a commitment to the charity so then you earn the shirt by fulfiling the requirement. I am more concerned with the idea of "not wearing" unless you earn it and if this particular shirt is under that rule since it's a 'run'. I have no problem donating the money to it though just having the shirt without doing the run.
    Sweetie, it ain't that deep. It's a shirt. Just a piece of clothing. It is not an emblem.

In any case, you "earn" your shirt; others will just wear them. Life goes on.