? for Runners that don't believe in wearing shirt b4 earned

Options

Replies

• LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Isn't wearing the shirt at any time good promotion for the cause?

I agree. I always wear my Relay for Life shirts to the gym and people always ask about it. It's a good way to get the word out.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    seems like there is a bit of over thinking going on. lol. all i know is if i saw the shirt lying in my room, i would smell the armpits to see if it stinked and if it was ok, i'd wear it all day. race-- what race? it'a t-shirt.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. As someone who also does alot of these types or races ( all for charity ) you dont do the race/walk, you shouldnt wear/pick up the shirt.

It is almost like not winning/playing the game, but wearing a championchip ring becasue you bought one on ebay
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I wonder if Navy Seals get tshirts for their tours? I'll look online, maybe I can buy one and then everyone will think I'm a badass.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I won't wear a shirt for a race that I didn't participate in... If the shirt was for donating and it said "sponsor" I would probably wear it.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    No class of humans are more pretentious than RUNNERS.

You do the easiest activity possible next to walking!

Hey now, please don't paint all runners with the same brush. The runners I know in real life could care less about tee shirts. They just love to run.

To be honest, in 13 months on MFP, this is the first post from a runner that I thought was a bit pretentious.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm new to distance running, but I paid $130 for my first half marathon and you're DAMN STRAIGHT I wore that shirt as soon as it came in the mail. It cost more than my running shoes. I wasn't going to wait to wear it. Plus it was a nice color blue and it happened to come in on laundry day and I needed something to wear to the gym.

I do, however, think it's tacky to wear the race shirt on raceday. Like wearing a concert tee at the concert you're seeing.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I don't think they should wear the shirt unless they win the race.

That's how those races work, right? If you come in first, you get to wear the shirt?

Yup. And Mr. or Ms. Last Place has to get naked on the spot.

Uh oh...if I knew that, I would not have signed up for a Half. I just might be the official last finisher, but at least no one will be around to see my nekkid azz. Plus it might be after dusk by then... :laugh:

- - -
    ETA: This has been interesting thread for me, b/c I have given an old race shirt to Goodwill. I liked it, I liked the cause, but it was just too small for me...now some thiftstore hipster is wearing my old race shirt...or a natural disaster victim...:flowerforyou:
    OP sorry I was not very helpful...

Hana I give old tee shirts to my mom...I know I've given her some old concert tees, wonder if someone will come up and harass her because she didn't really go see The Gaslight Anthem, she just wears the shirt.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Well, I'm new to distance running, but I paid $130 for my first half marathon and you're DAMN STRAIGHT I wore that shirt as soon as it came in the mail. It cost more than my running shoes. I wasn't going to wait to wear it. Plus it was a nice color blue and it happened to come in on laundry day and I needed something to wear to the gym.

I do, however, think it's tacky to wear the race shirt on raceday. Like wearing a concert tee at the concert you're seeing.

Not sure why people think it's tacky. There's nothing wrong with being proud to be at an event. At the time I ran my first half, I wore the provided tee shirt because it was a tech shirt and I only had one other tech shirt and it was in the wash...and I was damn proud to just show up up to that race. Half the people there were wearing their tee shirts. I also wear concert tees at concerts, sometimes. No one has ever come up to me and said anything. Except for one time a band member walked by and high fived me for wearing his band's shirt AT THEIR SHOW...he thought it was awesome LOL.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I sign up for lots of races, get my race pack and then dont do the race. Instead, I run the route (or an equal value or more track) the night before or the day after. And I wear the shirt whenever I want.

My life is meant for so much fun and adventure that I seriously cant imagine dictating in my head 'no no no silly this piece of cotton is for after Monday only!'silly duck, you cannot wear this piece of fabric on Sunday!'
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I can go either way on this... I don't really have an opinion. I'd say wear it if you want to, but I can also understand, as a runner, not wanting to wear it to honor the race if not completed.

I ran a half marathon this past November where you ONLY got the shirt if you COMPLETED THE RACE!!! I'm proud to wear that one!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's a t-shirt. Not a sash and tiara.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    First world problem.

This.

It's a shirt. If you don't want the shirt, don't take the shirt. If you get a shirt and you didn't "earn" the shirt and won't wear it, then give it to someone who needs a shirt who wants to start working out but can't afford new gym clothes.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I think anyone wearing any sort of sportswear whilst not exercising looks ridiculous. :-P
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    First world problem.

This.

It's a shirt. If you don't want the shirt, don't take the shirt. If you get a shirt and you didn't "earn" the shirt and won't wear it, then give it to someone who needs a shirt who wants to start working out but can't afford new gym clothes.

i luh yoo right now
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine if I finish the race, especially an Ironman or 1/2 Ironman race. Unless the shirt says contributor or volunteer, it needs to be earned (just my opinion).

I get this. But if you are doing the Komen Race or other large event, get over it. Iron Man and the local 5 K for homeless dogs are comparing apples and oranges. And if I can just buy an Iron Man shirt, please let me know where. I'd love for people to think I did it. :)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well I guess when I report back to the friends that asked me to post it I will say that many of the responses came from angry, negative people that have nothing to do but pick on a stranger asking a simple question instead of just moving on to a different topic, and majority of those saying those things probably didn't spent hours and hours a day for month after grueling month training for a race to understand what "earning the shirt" actually even meant. I'm not saying everyone because some people have and don't care about the shirt which I clearly was only asking the question to a specific group of people "runners that believe in wearing a shirt after earned".
    Its like the "insanity" tshirt from the program, you can't buy it but you have to earn it. I did the program and after going through a few months of the program, passing out and throwing up along the way you have a new-found respect for "earning" things and what it takes physically and mentally. It definitely doesn't take judging others that's for sure.
    Thanks for those that gave good input and maybe I will give it to the shelter as I know that I am not running 100+ miles in 3 days like the people competing are. I already have many police memorial shirts so I already show my support since it's close to home. And to those that were just mean, maybe you need more exercise because that usually makes people happier and if you exercise a lot maybe you need a punching bag because being mean to someone who posts a question isn't a good way to get out whatever frustration you have in your own life. Cheer up, smile a little, go for a run maybe.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    But in essence, didn't you earn the shirt? I mean you put the work in or do you feel like you put the work in but you can't prove that it paid off?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    you seem to have a chip on your shoulder. just cause people don't agree with you don't mean they are picking on you.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    gotta be honest, i didn't get that many people were mean. a little snarky maybe, but not outright mean. perhaps you needed to clarify what types of races. seriously, the 5 K and the Iron Man are two different animals. A marathon also a different thing. But I participate in lots of local walks/runs/rides to benefit trails, hospitals, causes, etc. and i really could give a hoot if someone wears the shirt whether they participated or not. i've also done ragbrai - a ride across the state of iowa - and don't begrudge anyone who wears the shirts.

now, if i trained for a year and completed an iron man or an olympic competition, i might be a little ticked if they gave out awards to everyone. but to me, a t-shirt is just a premium. a trophy or medal is another thing altogether....