Greek yogurt v. regular yogurt

Options
I've been hearing all of the great reviews about greek yogurt and how good it is for you. Really??? Is it really that great? On average it has about 12g of sugar, 15g of protein and 110 calories. It can be really hard to handle because of its texture and tartness. I am eating Fiber One 50 calorie yogurt and it only has 4 g of sugar, 50 calories, 3g protein and 5g of fiber. It is absolutely delicious!! I will only be using greek yogurt if a specific recipe calls for it.

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i agree but i think most people eat it b/c it's a lot higher in protein, that's all...
  • cat_1977
    cat_1977 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's higher in protein which is why I buy it. I do like it though which makes eating it a little more fun!
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt because it does so much for me compared to regular yogurt. It keeps me full and I actually feel like I'm eating something!

However- here is a recipe I've been eating for bfast- depending on what you put in it the sugar can be high (from the fruit) but I am a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE fan of this...a lot of protein and good nutrients in it and I have been eating the cocoa banana one...DELICIOUS.

I plan on trying the mango almond one sometime this week...it's seriously so good.

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    honestly.....i add yogurt to my protein shakes, I've been using activia light, but i tried the greek because of all the hype. I tried a good greek yogurt this weekend, and it made me vomit. I'll be sticking with the activia, and once for ounce, the activia light has more protein anyway (4g protein 130 cal vs 5g protein 70 cal)
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah...it's for the protein (which can be triple that of regular yogurt). I find the sugars a little troubling though. I don't like the plain kind and the fruit flavors I enjoy can have up to 15g of sugar and 160 calories--that's over half of my sugar allowance for the whole day!
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know what you mean about the texture. I can't handle it.
    I only like Yoplait, but I've heard it's the junk food of yogurts :(
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    honestly.....i add yogurt to my protein shakes, I've been using activia light, but i tried the greek because of all the hype. I tried a good greek yogurt this weekend, and it made me vomit. I'll be sticking with the activia, and once for ounce, the activia light has more protein anyway (4g protein 130 cal vs 5g protein 70 cal)

All of the chobani flavors I have tried have 12-15g protein per serving.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I like the Greek better. If I liked the regular better, I would eat that instead. Eat whichever one you like and fits in with your goals. If you don't like it at all, don't eat it at all!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt because it does so much for me compared to regular yogurt. It keeps me full and I actually feel like I'm eating something!

However- here is a recipe I've been eating for bfast- depending on what you put in it the sugar can be high (from the fruit) but I am a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE fan of this...a lot of protein and good nutrients in it and I have been eating the cocoa banana one...DELICIOUS.

I plan on trying the mango almond one sometime this week...it's seriously so good.

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

YUM!!!!
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has great macros. It's like 22g protein per 130 calories (1 cup). Eat it with fruit or use it for cooking :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. I'm not diabetic or anything so the sugar is not an issue for me. Plain greek yogurt is very low in sugar. It's the flavored stuff that has the sugar. That being said, Fage 2% honey greek yogurt is AAAAAAHmazing.

It's got a ton of protein and relatively low calorie which is great for me.

You don't HAVE to eat it because someone else likes it you know....
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I find greek yogurt to be less tart than regular yogurt and I don't get the funky aftertaste I do with regular yogurt. It is indeed thicker and too much can turn your stomach from that, but I went after it for the flavor. I'm not exactly concerned about my protein levels as I get plenty from my actual meals alone. I still eat regular yogurt because it's lighter and there's more flavor variety, but to me the greek yogurt just has something regular yogurt doesn't.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt and prefer it to regular yogurt because of the amount of protein and its uses in cooking. It replaces sour cream and mayo very well.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know what you mean about the texture. I can't handle it.
    I only like Yoplait, but I've heard it's the junk food of yogurts :(

I lofve Yoplait, I dont really like the Greek yougurt. I had vanilla and it tasted like sour cream!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I usually have 100g to 125g of Total 0% with 25g scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder. Mix it up and you got yourself a moose like texture and tastes like chocolate. The weird taste that comes from the Greek yoghurt disappears once it's all mixed. If I know I can't hit my protein intake by the end of the day after my last meal, I tend to have this as a snack.

I'm not too fussed about the amount of sugar in it. Total 0% only has 4g of sugar and 10.3g of protein per 100g. So it's a great ratio. I guess it depends on the type of Greek yoghurt you buy. I think the ones that are flavored with fruits, honey, etc are going to have more sugar because of those added ingredients. The natural Greek yoghurt has no added ingredients to it that's why the sugar is a lot lower.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain and add some honey and/or fruit. More protein, less sugar.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    psst! you can also get 0% greek yoghurt, not fat, only milk sugars (4%) and lots of protein. Bit tart tho - I like it with stews etc
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing all of the great reviews about greek yogurt and how good it is for you. Really??? Is it really that great? On average it has about 12g of sugar, 15g of protein and 110 calories. It can be really hard to handle because of its texture and tartness. I am eating Fiber One 50 calorie yogurt and it only has 4 g of sugar, 50 calories, 3g protein and 5g of fiber. It is absolutely delicious!! I will only be using greek yogurt if a specific recipe calls for it.

You aren't comparing equal serving sizes! you get a full CUP of greek yogurt for the stats you quated but the Fiber One stats you gave are for a tiny container (typically 4 oz). Also, choosing plain greek yogrut means no added chemicals or artificial sweeteners or fake flavors added to it. then you can add your own fresh or frozen fruit and make any type you desire. it can also be used instad of mayo in things like chicken salad, tuna salada nd coleslaw.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    To each their own. If you don't want to eat it, you don't have to. I personally prefer Greek yogurt to regular yogurt - I don't like how runny regular yogurt is. I don't worry about the sugars in it at all. I do like that it doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup which my body has some trouble with, so that is important to me. But, overall .. it is all about preference. I like that Greek has protein in it.

Eat whichever one you prefer... no one says you HAVE to eat Greek yogurt.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Ask me 2 yrs ago what I thought of Greek Yogurt and I'd say "blech" - I don't know how people can eat that stuff. But that was because I didn't really give it a fair chance. Now - I love it! I can't eat regular yogurt anymore because the consistency is too runny.