Greek yogurt v. regular yogurt

Options

Replies

• bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Where I shop, natural yoghurt has more protein than Greek yoghurt. So just check the packaging and buy the right one for your needs :smile:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Along with the awesome macro ratios others have mentioned, the straining process of Greek yogurt also removes much of the lactose. Often, people that are lactose intollerant can handle Greek yogurt, but not regular. Personally, I like to buy plain Greek yogurt and add my own natural sweetener (usually stevia or honey), and some fruit. Removes the tart taste, and I know exactly what's in it.

ETA: I had to try Greek yogurt 3 times to get a taste for it. Try different brands and flavors until you find something you like!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    For me, I personally think it's creamier. So I use it for dessert sometimes, especially when I have to eat back exercise calories near the end of the day.

My favorite is Black Cherry Chobani. I'm not worried about the sugar, I don't eat a ton of sugar. I'm more addicted to salt... so chips, popcorn, etc. are my weakness.
  • mcosme25
    mcosme25 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yoplait and Yo Crunch make an awesome yogurt with a little fruit or honey and isnt tart. The plain is the one that has the tart bite. It is higher in protien and sugars and calories BUT it doesstay with you and it is more filling. Try to stay away from any yogurts that say light and or fat free. They are filled with artificial sweetners that are not good for you in the long run. Eat as close to natural formed foods as possible. Stay away from proccessed and artificial flavors!
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is incredibly thick, tart and with some - gritty - which is unappealing to me. However, there are a bunch of different types and brands out there so try a few more before you decide. Personally the Chobani varieties are my first choice and I have tried Fage, Oikos, Dannon, Yoplait and various store brands. Chobani has a dozen flavors but the mango, cherry and pineapple are my favorites. They have about 140-160 calls and between 13- 15g of protein per serving and taste like dessert - I like to add fiber one or Kashi Go Lean to them for more fiber and to help keep me full. Right now I am gagging down the Kroger brand plain that my hubby bought by accident. Even that is edible with enough honey or stevia and fresh fruit.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I prefer Fage 2%.
    I use if for a snack.... With fruit or a tsp of Honey.
    I use it for cooking... It make delicious sour cream, mayo, also I found a recipe to use it in an "alfredo" sauce!

I Originally started using Greek to make sure my family gets the right amount of protein and less sugar than the "flavored" stuff. Now, I just buy a big tub, some fruits, and they can make their own personalized flavors. We also freeze the yougurt after they add fruit so they have an "Ice Cream" should they decide they need some.

To Greek or not to Greek is a personal choice though :wink:
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Can't stand the slimy texture of regular yogurt. I've never been able to. Greek yogurt has a nice, creamy thickness that I can get behind. Yes, it does have more protein, but if you eat the flavored Greek yogurts, the sugars are not far off from, say, Activia, which was mentioned, or other fruit yogurts--unless you get diabetic friendly, sugar free. So it's important to remember that about /any/ fruit-flavored yogurt. Plain 0% yogurt from other brands actually have far more sugar and more calories.

And though the plain 0% Greek yogurt may have more calories than small, flavored yogurts, you get a full /cup/ of it per serving. Because it's so high in protein, you can easily eat only half a cup for as many calories as, again, Activia, and still get more protein and even less sugars. Yet, I agree with the poster above; I find it far more satisfying, and it keeps me feeling that way longer. Also, if you read the ingredient labels, plain Greek yogurt has /no/ fillers.

Because it's thick, it also serves as a great 0% fat sour cream substitute, where a thinner yogurt couldn't possibly hold up, and it boosts the protein of your meal far better than sour cream or -shudder- "lite" sour cream, which is full of fillers.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Since we are on the subject of yogurt,
    Is Yoplait really the junk-food of yogurts? It's the only kind/brand that I like.
    And I really like the vanilla...
  • crystalcreek
    Options
    I've been hearing all of the great reviews about greek yogurt and how good it is for you. Really??? Is it really that great? On average it has about 12g of sugar, 15g of protein and 110 calories. It can be really hard to handle because of its texture and tartness. I am eating Fiber One 50 calorie yogurt and it only has 4 g of sugar, 50 calories, 3g protein and 5g of fiber. It is absolutely delicious!! I will only be using greek yogurt if a specific recipe calls for it.

You aren't comparing equal serving sizes! you get a full CUP of greek yogurt for the stats you quated but the Fiber One stats you gave are for a tiny container (typically 4 oz). Also, choosing plain greek yogrut means no added chemicals or artificial sweeteners or fake flavors added to it. then you can add your own fresh or frozen fruit and make any type you desire. it can also be used instad of mayo in things like chicken salad, tuna salada nd coleslaw.
    THIS!
  • mmy127
    mmy127 Posts: 14
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt because it does so much for me compared to regular yogurt. It keeps me full and I actually feel like I'm eating something!

However- here is a recipe I've been eating for bfast- depending on what you put in it the sugar can be high (from the fruit) but I am a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE fan of this...a lot of protein and good nutrients in it and I have been eating the cocoa banana one...DELICIOUS.

I plan on trying the mango almond one sometime this week...it's seriously so good.

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

I'm totally trying this!! These sound so tasty!
  • realhousewife_windsor
    Options
    I use the plain yogurt as substitution for sour cream. When I make me dips or use it in tacos it cuts the fat and yet has that creamy texture like regular sour cream. You honestly can't tell the difference.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt's consistency. It reminds me of pudding.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Since we are on the subject of yogurt,
    Is Yoplait really the junk-food of yogurts? It's the only kind/brand that I like.
    And I really like the vanilla...

Nah. If you like it and it fits your calories for the day, eat up!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive aquired the taste for fat free greek yougurnt which is mostly Protein as I dont eat that much meat anymore nor do I drink milk too much anymore. So that is my primary source of protein. I mix it with my oatmeal for breakfeast.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use the plain yogurt as substitution for sour cream. When I make me dips or use it in tacos it cuts the fat and yet has that creamy texture like regular sour cream. You honestly can't tell the difference.

I agree with this, I can handle the Greek yogurt is small doses, like say a Tablespoon, as a substitute for sour cream, or mayonnaise, I can also tolerate my homemade Tzatziki Sauce.:smile: But using 8 ounces in my protein shake just made me sick. Everything in moderation.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    On average it has about 12g of sugar, 15g of protein and 110 calories.

It depends on what brand you get. I get the plain 2% Fage and it has 20 gs protien and only 8gs sugar....all for 150 cals! Show me something else that has that much protien (and that little sugar) for that calories! What a terrific snack. :smile:
    Yeah it's a little sour but whatever, I am SO SICK of eating yogurts with ridiculous amounts of sugar in them. And I kind of like something a little different.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% Blueberry is my cats meow !!!!:bigsmile:
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Im in love with greek yogurt. blueberry is the best.
  • tyrog11
    tyrog11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fage 0%...I completely agree with many of the comments about the macros. The 1 cup comment earlier is right on. I get Walden Farms Strawberry syrup (they have blueberry too) and mix it in. It tastes great and if you aren't familiar with Walden Farms, it is 0 every thing. No fat/protein/carbs/sugar/gluten...nothing. But it adds a great flavor and makes it taste like normal yogurt. Best of both worlds!!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    To each their own. If you don't want to eat it, you don't have to. I personally prefer Greek yogurt to regular yogurt - I don't like how runny regular yogurt is. I don't worry about the sugars in it at all. I do like that it doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup which my body has some trouble with, so that is important to me. But, overall .. it is all about preference. I like that Greek has protein in it.

Eat whichever one you prefer... no one says you HAVE to eat Greek yogurt.

This

I love the Oikos kind made by Dannon..mmmmmmmmmmm so good! and it keeps me full! I love to put some grapenuts in it and have it for breakfast with some fruit.