30 day shred

Options
Hi all,

I've been on MFP for almost a month, really getting into it now but feel I need to do much more exercise! I've seen so many posts about this 30 day shred, results look awesome but I'm terrified of doing it! I wouldn't say I'm fit at all... Can manage 3 times a week at the gym but don't have the motivation to go all the time! Thinking this shred thing may be better as its short and can do everyday at home? What does everyone think of it? I'm worried I'm gonna commit myself but then fail miserably! Any advice?

Replies

• tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did the Shred for the first time this morning... I am out of shape myself. I was able to do it.. I was all sweaty and out of breath... but it is doable.... Plus, I got the dvd for 9 bucks at walmart.....Good luck!!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's fun, especially if you're pressed for time or can't make it to the gym for some reason. Plus you can adjust to your fitness level by modifying moves or adding heavier weights. Good luck!
  • jencurtlong
    Options
    Hi - I just started the 30 day Shred yesterday. I get to the gym 3-4 times a week to do a combination of cardio classes and a strength training workout given to me by my personal trainer. I picked up the 30 day Shred due to the low time commitment and as an addition to my regular workouts. I think you'll be surprised. Level 1 is relatively easy for beginners and Jillian does a wonderful job of explaining each exercise. There are also modifications for almost every exercise that is done right in front of you by one of the people in the video. Go for it - you can definitely do it! Good luck! Keep us posted about what you think and how it's going!
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred for the first time last night, I was winded and sweaty but I made it thru (ok I took a couple few second breaks to catch my breath!) I am not in any kind of shape and I did it with a few modifications but I still made it thru to the end and I will keep at it. It wont kill me :-)
  • fitnessgoalie
    fitnessgoalie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Take it one step at a time. Aim to just do the workout. dont worry about getting it in every single day. Advice from my friend who completed it and is now on JM Revolution...do the thirty workouts. Thats my plan starting next week.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been on MFP for almost a month, really getting into it now but feel I need to do much more exercise! I've seen so many posts about this 30 day shred, results look awesome but I'm terrified of doing it! I wouldn't say I'm fit at all... Can manage 3 times a week at the gym but don't have the motivation to go all the time! Thinking this shred thing may be better as its short and can do everyday at home? What does everyone think of it? I'm worried I'm gonna commit myself but then fail miserably! Any advice?

You should give it a try. Chances are your local library has the dvd -- if you want to look at it before you buy.

It's got 3 levels, you choose which one you start at. It's recommended that you do 10 days at each level, and that you break up your workout: 2 days of doing 30DS, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest. So you don't have to do it 30 consequtive days.

Level 1 is VERY approachable -- all the activities are familar, no surprises on this level (jumping jacks, pushups, squats, lunges, sit ups). And at 20 minutes, it is a very easy time commitment to make.

There are several groups that have their own message boards -- there is a group that just started the shred yesterday -- so you should be able to pop into one of those to see how the group is doing.

I had the same concerns as you, and I have so far had no problem with the commitment & find that I have begun to wish the workout was longer than 20 minutes ( a sure sign it's time to level up).

Good luck!
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I started the Shred, I hadn't even touched a weight, let alone any cardio and I'm still alive! If you have any kind of energy, you can do it! Don't be scared! Even though it has modified moves, you can still modify it to your comfort. The first 3-4 days are the hardest, but by day 6 it's a breeze :)
    I will say that I hated Level 2. Now that I'm doing the Shred for the 2nd time, I plan on doing 15 days of Level 1, skipping Level 2, and moving on to Level 3 for 15 days.
    Good luck!
  • Allisonnleigh
    Allisonnleigh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of The same thing but am thinking about starting it soon, we can do this together!
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Go for it! When I started I hadnt done any proper execrise in years. Jillian does kick your *kitten* to start with but I found that I improved really quickly which was great for my confidence. I'm currently half way through round 2 :)

p.s. I hate Level 2 as well!
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I bought over a week again on amazon for like $7. I watched it first........big mistake.....I was totally freaked out. I started it yesterday....decided it was time to "man-up" and do it! It wasn't as bad as it seemed just watching it. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am buying to tonight and starting ... personally I am really excited
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am starting it tonight really hoping a see some great results
  • DameVenus
    DameVenus Posts: 70
    Options
    I started 30ds three days ago. I am also very overweight and out of shape. Day one and two I had to stop and take a breather. Day three I went all the way through. I'm sure you can do it ^_^
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of failing. It is fabulous. It takes about 23 minutes start to finish including warm up/cool down. I log 187 calories burned per level. It has 3 levels each one increasing in difficulty. I spent 7 days on each L1 and L2. Now on day 8 L3. During the circuit she gives you an option for each exercise how to do it with less impact.

I LOVE it. Went out today and bought Ripped in 30 days to start after I m done with the 30DS.

Try it you will like it.
  • Abelders
    Abelders Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im one day 6 of level one and Im 211lb and not in shape at all Im sure you can do it!!! Good luck!!!:bigsmile:
  • my2gr8boys
    Options
    I just started this today, after hearing rave reviews all over MFP. I go to the gym 5 days/week, so I am using this in addition. I did enjoy the work out today, although my arms were really tired about halfway through! Good luck!!
  • Summergirl_88
    Options
    I started 30ds yesterday and I am very unfit, pretty much did no exercise beforehand. I'm not gonna lie to you, it's tough but doable as long as you have the motivation! Seeing all the results on here is really motivating me to finish the whole 30 days!
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am 29 and 312 pounds. I did this today for the first time. If I can do it, anyone can. Stay positive and you can get through it (:
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Started it today! I love it! I'm so sore, but it's a great feeling. It wasn't all that bad :)
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to stretch your thighs more than she does in the video. The day after my first workout I was so sore. it was hard to get up from sitting. I just moved on to level 2 over the weekend (which everybody hates, but somehow I don't think it's all that bad). The program is really easy to follow and Jillian is a good motivator. You get a good workout in the 20 minutes, I highly recommend it.