Calories (vs) Macros: Whats more important?

Options
2»

Replies

• skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I watch my calories but I'm really trying to get my protein in the red every day, I focus on that a lot.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at calories, but now that i've been able to stay under calorie goals i'm moving into balancing macros while still staying under my calories.

Both are important. I mean u can eat 4 frozen dinners for 1600 calories or a days worth of veggies, lean meats, healthy fats and whole grains and the day will look far better and will have you feeling far better too!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Surely if you get all your macros bang on, the calories will have taken care of themselves?
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight I would give the edge to calories. For you long term health you want to keep an eye on you macros.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    to over generalize this issue

Overall calorie intake = weight gain or loss

Macro nutrient split = body composition

micro nutrient = Health

^^This!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your insight.

i see a lot of ppl in there calorie goal with really high carbs, barely any protein, and over in there fat goal and can't help but think that isn't healthy.

but what do i know?

I just wanted a little outward insight.

my self understanding was that calories are just a unit of energy. and macros represent the nutrients you actually take in. so i just assumed macros would be more important. i honestly don't know though.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your insight.

i see a lot of ppl in there calorie goal with really high carbs, barely any protein, and over in there fat goal and can't help but think that isn't healthy.

but what do i know?

I just wanted a little outward insight.

my self understanding was that calories are just a unit of energy. and macros represent the nutrients you actually take in. so i just assumed macros would be more important. i honestly don't know though.

The two are quite linked, though. Most on here will take the macro approach, and as Dan has said - if you're getting your macros right, the calories will fit in quite nicely.

For me, that's too much effort to be sustainable, but at the same time for the most part my macros are at a good level. That's because filling a whole day with foods that aren't nutrient-rich would lead to hunger. I focus on the calories, but in order to enjoy nice big meals and have a few snacks I naturally limit the 'junk' and include vegetables.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump