CANNOT get under 130

Options

Replies

• jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    to the op:
    without your current weight and height and access to your diary, you aren't going to be able to get much help here. it's all going to be based on guesstimations.
    that being said, i just guesstimated your TDEE, assuming that you are 5'4" (the average height of an american woman) and 134 (based off your goal weight and ticker). assuming that you are sedentary, your TDEE would be 1726. since you have less than 20 pounds to your goal, you would do best to lose between .5 and 1 pound per week. you should be netting somewhere around 1400 calories per day. if you're not sedentary, you need to net higher. if you're taller, you need to net higher.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Nothing about starvation mode, all about slowing down metabolism mode - two totally different things.

Might want to read up on your science since you want the comments based on that.

Obese guys accomplished it in 8 weeks.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19660148

Just so you know, MFP recognizes that activity level multipliers are total estimates, and as such as made their Sedentary 1.25 x BMR.
    And the more popular old scale has actually been suggested to be replaced with others with higher sedentary levels, because it's seen that people actually are more active than they thought, and burning more cals than they thought. Hard to believe!

And so you KNOW, for a fact, that your TDEE is truly only 1800? And you know that estimate is true for yourself because .... ? You had the calorimeter machines hooked up to you all day for an average day of standard activity?

Because, a selection of 4 or 5 levels hardly has any bearing on reality. You might start reading about folks reporting their FitBit or BodyMedia Fit TDEE's who sure thought they had sedentary lifestyles of work/driving 10hrs daily, home for cooking and kids, and no exercise on those days. Hitting way above their levels they thought they'd reach.

So just reacting to advice given when you have no facts on the matter at hand, and it appears very little experience with the majority of stalls/plateau's that occur on MFP.

thank you.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    And so you KNOW, for a fact, that your TDEE is truly only 1800? And you know that estimate is true for yourself because .... ? You had the calorimeter machines hooked up to you all day for an average day of standard activity?

I know my maintenence is 1,800 because I had been eating at 1,150 cals a day for 7 weeks and I lost 1.4 lbs a week. No, it's not exact smarty pants, but it's a pretty good estimate.

And yeah, people are "much more active than originally thought." Which is why everyone is overweight....

I love how your arguement to everything is "you can't really be sure of anything."
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm one of those few. My BMR is 1215 (according to some websites, other websites say it's lower than 1200). My TDEE 1500 (based on my bodymedia fit). I didn't slow my metabolism down. It's really unlikely that anyone has slowed her metabolism down. I don't understand where this assumption came from on MFP, that everyone has a BMR above 1200 unless they have done something wrong.

BMR based on LBM is usually much more accurate, those are usually the ones that will read lower unless you're lifting weights.

Glad you know a better estimated BMR, very excellent use of that tool, allows much better planning for things.

It's very easy to slow metabolism down actually. If you eat at BMR minus X, the body has to get by with less for those basic functions of life, by slowing down. May not be much, may be a lot.

Showing the predicted changes in metabolic rates decline sharply in individuals undergoing adaptive thermogenesis which does lead to plateauing. ie suppressed BMR, slower metabolism, ect.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11430776
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19660148
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20054213
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17260010

Estimated healthy BMR levels are usually at 1200 or higher unless you are female older than 45 at healthy weight, under 5 ft healthy weight, or short and skinny fat or obese fat with less muscle than avg person at healthy weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I know my maintenence is 1,800 because I had been eating at 1,150 cals a day for 7 weeks and I lost 1.4 lbs a week. No, it's not exact smarty pants, but it's a pretty good estimate.

And yeah, people are "much more active than originally thought." Which is why everyone is overweight....

I love how your arguement to everything is "you can't really be sure of anything."

You aren't aware of the many estimates that come into play in this whole thing?
    Healthy BMR is an estimate, maintenance level selection is an estimate, food calories is an estimate, exercise burned calories is an estimate.
    The best hope is to get the estimates as best they can be, and then as you have correctly done, look at the real results of what is obtained.

And yes, estimates of real calorie burn on people with sedentary type lifestyles is higher than originally estimated - and that has absolutely no bearing on the majority STILL eating more than that higher level of truly awful foods.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    just my 2 cent's but 130 is a good weight. However I'd try toning up with weights and probably start focusing on body fat% Vs the number. The number is not everything. One of my friends at school has been weight training for a while and is 130 only lost 1 pound in 6 months However her measurements have changed DRASTICALLY.

The number is not everything...
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Some say eat more some say eat less. Well, do what's right for you, if you have been netting 1200 calories or less try eating more because as you said you have not lost any weight. Noticed I said "netting" not consuming, there is a difference. Since you stated you are excercising you need to watch what you NET not consume.

I was in your same situation at 133 and not losing. I also workout 6 days a week in addition to running so I'm considered very active. I upped my NET calories to anywhere between 1475-1675 a day, depends on my workouts, and started to lose. Now I am below 130, I usually maintain between 125-127.

Diana
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    just my 2 cent's but 130 is a good weight. However I'd try toning up with weights and probably start focusing on body fat% Vs the number. The number is not everything. One of my friends at school has been weight training for a while and is 130 only lost 1 pound in 6 months However her measurements have changed DRASTICALLY.

The number is not everything...

And that's my goal. I am 65 3/4" (5' 5 3/4") and am on my way to 130. I don't think I want to go much lower than that. I do plan to tighten the heck up though. I like your logic here, measurements can mean more than weight. I'd rather be a stong, tight 130 than a loose skinned 130 any day.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you find you your BF% here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ then find your BMR here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ when you hit submit this site will calculate how many calories you should eat to lose about 1 lb a week for your activity level. It comes up in a nice little chart, you chose the activity level and eat that many calories.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    whoa, calm down. you don't need to yell.
    most of what you're saying isn't related to the op, anyway.

Sorry, I get a bit excited. I hate it when other people discourage and mislead others. :grumble: Usually it is just out of ignorance though so I shouldn't be such a brat....

How is telling her that 130 is a healthy weight and she should focus on toning up "discouraging or misleading" her? You have no idea how much she eats every day. If she's already eating at 1200 (or even below if she comes in below her goal every day), telling her to decrease her cals is NOT a good idea. In fact, many people observe the opposite effect - once they start eating MORE they lose. Browse around these forums and you'll see plenty of examples

The bottom line is, we need more information from the OP before we can give her any solid advice. But for now, I stick with my original statement: 130 is healthy. It's fine to desire to be smaller, but maybe focus more on losing inches rather than weight right now.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently 130. My goal is 120. I cannot get past 130 either. Sucks, because even if my body is comfortable at this weight, I AM NOT. I have just started to do more strength training and with heavier weights & cardio every other day. I'm also trying to eat only lean protein, veggies and fruits (no junk). Hopefully we can all push through this! Good luck!

Same here. 130 seems a very hard number to many of us...LOL.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I too am already in my "healthy range" at 130lb and 5"6, but i am not happy there at all! I'm aiming for 120 and haven't lost anything on over a month. I've been so discouraged i've actually blown it completely a few days these last couple of weeks.

Prime example why going for a "lower than your body can handle" body weight is not a good thing.
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'1'' :/
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    And don't diss my inspirations!! :mad: I love my Gagaloo. She is very fit
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'1'' :/
    then assuming you're sedentary, your tdee is around 1715.
    how active are you and how many calories and glasses of water do you have per day?
  • rgg1961
    rgg1961 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Focus on fitness and well-being, instead of the number on the scale.
    You are not overweight at 130 - unless you are under 5 feet tall.
    If you weighed less at some previous point in your adult years (not teens) and would like to get back there, you may want to take a look at any prescriptions medications you may be taking including bc pills / hormones.
    Also might want to have your body fat analyzed. Under 24% is considered fit for a woman.
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    While the number might not seem overweight, and all this talk about lower than your body can handle, is crap. i f I wear a pair of pants or shorts and stuff is hanging, I work to get rid of it too! There are healthy ways to be super lean. If she is taking care of yourself, don't discourage! No one here really knows the whole story anyways. No need to troll around. Just love! <3
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    While the number might not seem overweight, and all this talk about lower than your body can handle, is crap. i f I wear a pair of pants or shorts and stuff is hanging, I work to get rid of it too! There are healthy ways to be super lean. If she is taking care of yourself, don't discourage! No one here really knows the whole story anyways. No need to troll around. Just love! <3

Oh definitely! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting in shape. If stuff is hanging, it's time to tone up! (That's the stage I'm at right now). The point I (and others, I think) have been trying to make is that sometimes weight isn't the best indication of fitness. 130 is a healthy weight, so maybe stop concentrating on the scale so much and instead concentrate on tightening up! There is a thread here on MFP (I can't find it now, grrr) by a woman who was 130 but flabby. Then she started strength training and went down a few pants sizes and looked AMAZING! And guess what? She still weighed 130. Seriously, the comparison pics were incredible seeing as she was 130 in BOTH pics. Just something to consider :)
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just cut everything white out of my diet and I'm starting to see results. The only bread I use is Ezekiel bread and limit it to 2 pieces max per day. No carbs other than what I get out of carrots and other veggies. No potatoes either. This is what I'm following
    http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thescarsdalemedicaldiet/id18.html

great things is, is no calories restriction, so as long as you are staying in your 1200 limit, this should do the trick! Good luck!

I'm sort of doing the above^^ My cals are set at 1350 and my carbs are only the "good ones"! I am now feeling great!
  • juliski79
    juliski79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as well. I have been trying to watch what I eat and have been working out a lot for the past few months and the lbs. are not shedding too fast. I am stuck in the 130's and I would just like to be 5'4" and 130. I am only 32 but I think it seemed to be a little easier even just a few years ago. Have you measured yourself? I have been once a month and there has definitely been a difference there even tho the scale doesn't say much.