CANNOT get under 130

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting in shape. If stuff is hanging, it's time to tone up! (That's the stage I'm at right now). The point I (and others, I think) have been trying to make is that sometimes weight isn't the best indication of fitness. 130 is a healthy weight, so maybe stop concentrating on the scale so much and instead concentrate on tightening up! There is a thread here on MFP (I can't find it now, grrr) by a woman who was 130 but flabby. Then she started strength training and went down a few pants sizes and looked AMAZING! And guess what? She still weighed 130. Seriously, the comparison pics were incredible seeing as she was 130 in BOTH pics. Just something to consider :)

So you were right on for guess of TDEE - BMR is currently 1320 estimated, probably eating at 1200, and no comment yet whether exercise is lowering that even more.

That inspiration is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore?hl=just+don't+care
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'1'' :/
    then assuming you're sedentary, your tdee is around 1715.
    how active are you and how many calories and glasses of water do you have per day?

I am pretty active... I work out from 30-60 min 5-6 times a week and try to mix it up. I also have between 5-8 glasses of water a day.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Any tips?
    make your diary public
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a Nutritionist and she measured my bone and muscle and said those two things alone weigh 120 pounds, i am 5 foot 4 so she says since i lift i would never be close to that type of goal... That i should aim for more of the high 130 to 140 range. So keep in mind you may not want to be that low if it means losing muscle also.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what happened to me. I'm 5'3" and currently 123 pounds.
    I was stuck at 125-127 for 2 or 3 months (after losing weight from 146 lbs), so I GAVE UP ON TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Yes. I gave up. I set myself up for "sedentary maintenance" and started rock climbing like a crazy person.

I now eat 1600 calories on non-exercise days. I do not log walking (which I do a lot of). I do log rock climbing, dance classes, etc. I DO eat the calories from hard core workouts. I started (slowly) losing more weight.

So, uh... eat more, not less, maybe?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have been under a regime for about two months and I've hardly lost anything. I work out, eat well and at my calorie limit. It's getting very frustrating because I've been fluctuating in the 130s for a few years now. :(

Any tips?

Do you know what your bodyfat percentage is? You may not have much fat to burn off and so, in turn, reduction in weight.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently 130. My goal is 120. I cannot get past 130 either. Sucks, because even if my body is comfortable at this weight, I AM NOT. I have just started to do more strength training and with heavier weights & cardio every other day. I'm also trying to eat only lean protein, veggies and fruits (no junk). Hopefully we can all push through this! Good luck!

This is me EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! If anything new works for you please PM me! It's SO frustrating!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Same thing here!!!!!! I range from 130-132. I'm 5'6 & size 6. I was 120 and size 2 when I met my hubby 9yrs ago. I know I'm older now blah blah & have now had 2 kids but I want to be 125 soo bad!!!
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • grahamns
    grahamns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the very same situation for over a year. I am about 4'8 which really means that i should be below the weight of 130. When i first started out losing weight i did not use a calorie counter i just changed the way i ate. Meaning little to no fast food, cooking more, and only drinking water as well as working out 4-5 days a week. That did the trick and i was able to go from 154lb to 130lb. It took me some time because i have physical limitations and i am only really able to do upper body weight training and the bike or walking as cardio. Once i lost the initial weight i did stay at 130 for over a year. While that was not my goal weight i was able to maintain it with my new diet. Now just recently i have started to use the calorie counter and that has made the biggest difference! I am only on a 1200 calorie diet but i am seeing the results. To get a little back on topic what i suggest is what another person mentioned. That is to "shock" your body on some days. This means typically stay within your calorie maximum on most days by eating healthy, but have a day or two where you cheat with a food you really love, or stay under your maximum intake. I find that during the week while i am working i am able to have "self control" and eat healthy. However, i do have a desk job so at times i want to snack more then on the weekend. On the flip side during the weekend i find myself not snacking but eating meals or eating what i want because i do not typically go over my max. In addition, i also work out on those days where my calorie count is low. So all in all like a trainer once told me, you have to trick your body. I have finally been able to get past 130lb with my method. I do not know if this will help you but it has with me. Just be patient and you should see the difference. Oh! and if you want to be smaller then 130lb or whatever your goal weight is NEVER let anyone tell you that you should be satisfied with that weight cause that is where your body wants you to be. I fully believe in MIND over BODY. I was told the same thing and i accepted it at the time. Now i do not and i will get to my goal weight even if it takes some time.
  • anphi14
    Options
    I had the very same situation for over a year. I am about 4'8 which really means that i should be below the weight of 130. When i first started out losing weight i did not use a calorie counter i just changed the way i ate. Meaning little to no fast food, cooking more, and only drinking water as well as working out 4-5 days a week. That did the trick and i was able to go from 154lb to 130lb. It took me some time because i have physical limitations and i am only really able to do upper body weight training and the bike or walking as cardio. Once i lost the initial weight i did stay at 130 for over a year. While that was not my goal weight i was able to maintain it with my new diet. Now just recently i have started to use the calorie counter and that has made the biggest difference! I am only on a 1200 calorie diet but i am seeing the results. To get a little back on topic what i suggest is what another person mentioned. That is to "shock" your body on some days. This means typically stay within your calorie maximum on most days by eating healthy, but have a day or two where you cheat with a food you really love, or stay under your maximum intake. I find that during the week while i am working i am able to have "self control" and eat healthy. However, i do have a desk job so at times i want to snack more then on the weekend. On the flip side during the weekend i find myself not snacking but eating meals or eating what i want because i do not typically go over my max. In addition, i also work out on those days where my calorie count is low. So all in all like a trainer once told me, you have to trick your body. I have finally been able to get past 130lb with my method. I do not know if this will help you but it has with me. Just be patient and you should see the difference. Oh! and if you want to be smaller then 130lb or whatever your goal weight is NEVER let anyone tell you that you should be satisfied with that weight cause that is where your body wants you to be. I fully believe in MIND over BODY. I was told the same thing and i accepted it at the time. Now i do not and i will get to my goal weight even if it takes some time.

Thank you so much! I will try this out and the whole "tricking" my body and see if it will get me anywhere. And I'm not going to listen to these people telling me I should be happy where I am because I'm NOT, I am short and know that I will look and feel better if I lost about 15 pounds. I am on the borderline of healthy and overweight, and I want to be at a completely healthy weight.
  • anphi14
    Options
    I was stuck at 125-127 for 2 or 3 months (after losing weight from 146 lbs), so I GAVE UP ON TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Yes. I gave up. I set myself up for "sedentary maintenance" and started rock climbing like a crazy person.

I now eat 1600 calories on non-exercise days. I do not log walking (which I do a lot of). I do log rock climbing, dance classes, etc. I DO eat the calories from hard core workouts. I started (slowly) losing more weight.

Thanks, I will try mixing things up...this seems to work for a lot of people on here! I have been only eating 1200 cals, so maybe I should mix it up time to time and inluding my workouts.
  • anphi14
    Options
    Also, question for you guys...might sound stupid..

Do you eat more or less on days you work out. On the days I would eat maybe 1400-1500 hundred cals, should I work out harder on those days or do a less intense workout? Thanks.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    open your diary if you want any meaningful replies.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i'm going to assume you are an intelligent woman and that you aren' t anorexic or shooting for unhealthy unreasonable goals. These are my suggestions:

(1) HIIT busted me through plateaus
    (2) weight training is very important- make sure you're not doing just cardio (can't see your diary)
    (3) pay attention to macros
    (4) clean eating

i think that's basically it. I can't say to raise or lower your cals cuz i don't know what you are doing.

I eat 1200 cals a day plus exercise cals (if I want them). I weight train 3 x's a week, I try to eat clean ("try" being the operative word), I aim for my protein to be 30% of my cals (30% being fat and 40% being carbs). I am not the amazing supermodel I wish I were, but I look hella better than I ever have before.

Good luck!
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was 132lbs and I could NOT get under it.
    I fasted for a day, then kicked up my cardio exercise and started eating regular, healthy meals that week.
    By the end of the week, (After at least 30mins of cardio per day and eating what I felt that my body needed, in a healthy sense)
    I had dropped to 129bs.

This worked well for me, could work for you :3
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I totally agree.

I'm 5'5.

I lost 50lbs in 1 year.

Spent the last year and a half trying to get from 133lbs to 120lbs. EPIC FAIL :smile:

Joined here less than 2 weeks ago, started being CONSISTENT, walking & working out, eating exercise calories back (average 1700!)

Guess what? I'm already at 127/126!

EAT MORE TO LIVE MORE! Move more, fuel your body more, eat healthier foods. Simple as. Nomatter what anybody says, eating less than 1200/1300 is WRONG and only advocated by (dare I?) idiots who know nothing about nutrition or how the body works.

Do your research girls and stop advising vulnerable people!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    ^^ Like the last poster, I too end up eating usually 1500-1700 cals a day. But for me that is the base of 1200 plus my exercise cals, which end up being 300-400 a day.

I also think getting "stuck" is part of how it goes and you gotta mix it up at that point. I got stuck at 162, 145, 140, 135, 130, and now I'm "stuck" at 125 (more or less). The lowest I got was 123. My "goal" is 115, or a six pack, whichever comes first.
  • tigerbabe2
    tigerbabe2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thats my goal weight :P, used to be 120 back in 1998. I loved 120 so prob will try to end there, am 5'6". Menopause steals r metabolism, and sucks big time. Never had weight probs be4 it :sad:
  • anphi14
    Options
    i'm going to assume you are an intelligent woman and that you aren' t anorexic or shooting for unhealthy unreasonable goals. These are my suggestions:

(1) HIIT busted me through plateaus
    (2) weight training is very important- make sure you're not doing just cardio (can't see your diary)
    (3) pay attention to macros
    (4) clean eating

i think that's basically it. I can't say to raise or lower your cals cuz i don't know what you are doing.

I eat 1200 cals a day plus exercise cals (if I want them). I weight train 3 x's a week, I try to eat clean ("try" being the operative word), I aim for my protein to be 30% of my cals (30% being fat and 40% being carbs). I am not the amazing supermodel I wish I were, but I look hella better than I ever have before.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! Really helpful. Yes my goals I think are reasonable due to my height i would like to be 115 lbs eventually. I eat between 1200-1500 cals a day (depending on my exercise)!