How do I take my body measurements with a tape?

Options
Ok so how to i measure me self for the top part? around my bust or right underneath? an where exactly is the waist? around the navel or around the little tummy fat pouch? and what about hips? should i measure under my gut or around it? lol Im a little confused because i am a pear shaped girl so pretty much anywhere i put the tape is a different measurement so i just want to be sure

Thanks!

Replies

• indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    I found this chart that helped me for my measuring, maybe it'll help you too:
    measurements.jpg
  • cr9576
    cr9576 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Omg thanks!
  • millikenhomeschool
    Options
    I guess really the key is to try to measure in the same general spot each time you do measurements. I find it pretty difficult myself.
  • bigeastcincy
    Options
    :smooched:

Thank you very much!!!! Exactly what I needed as I had those same questions. The photodiagram :wink: :wink: worked out great!
  • ahammer77
    ahammer77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes, doesn't really matter where you measure as long as it's consistent. Measure the areas you most want to know what you are losing.
    I measure
    Upper arm (biggest part)
    Chest (across boobs, biggest part)
    Natural Waist (smallest part of waist)
    Abdomen (at the belly button)
    Hips (biggest part)
    Thigh (biggest part)
    Calf (biggest part)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Accufitness makes a nice tape that's easy to use for one person.
    big_AM01-4cb59369-1.jpg[img][/img]A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I assume that waist should be the narrowest point on your body, and hips should be the widest. For arms and thighs, I take the measurement from the widest point. As for boobs, both underbust and around the nipples are helpful for different things--if you are getting sized for a bra, you need to know both.
  • patyeomans
    patyeomans Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The standard placement for measurements are:
    Bust: Measure the Fullest point of the bust line
    Waist: Measure at the indentation of your torso
    Hips: measure 9" below your waistline
  • pixiesgreene
    pixiesgreene Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I found a great dressmaking measuring tape that has a plastic slider and a snap button. So that you can tighten it like a belt, then snap it off, and the plastic thing has a clear window with a marker that points to the exact measurement.

Okay, that's a terrible description, I will try to find a link.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/myotape.html

This is different to mine, but the same idea. The great thing with these is that you can get the tape juuuuust tight enough that the plastic contraption holds it around your body, you can take your hands away and it doesn't fall down. If it holds at that point, without digging into the skin, that's perfect. You should be neither sucking in a breath, nor pushing out your belly - just neutral posture. Then stand side on, looking at your profile in a mirror. The tape should be making a horizontal line on your body before you read the measurement.

Another trick I use is to pick points on my body where I will remember exactly where to place the tape from week to week. So I do Bust - always the fullest part, even if my shape changes. "True Waist" - the spot where, when you bend from side to side, the fold appears. "Belly button" which is self explanatory. For "Hip" I remember that the tape should be exactly my thumb's width above my, ahem, hairline.

Doesn't matter what they are. Pick what works for you. Write down your rules or tricks the first time and then try to copy the placement exactly after that.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I always worry my measurement are not exact but I try to find any markers on the body to know I am measuring the same place. A mole or something that is always there. Belly button is one of my measurements. Makes it a little easier to know when things are changing.