Cheat Days

Options
13»

Replies

• lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Saturday is my designated "cheat day" but I prefer to call it an "earned day", I hit the gym hard in the morning and don't eat my exercise calories throughout the week and use them on Saturday. The way I look at it is that I have to be able to maintain this type of lifestyle forever and to do that I need to know that all those crazy cravings have a place (on Saturdays).

4575945.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever I want is what got me so fat to begin with. That's what a cheat day/meal is, right? I don't know. I understand it's infrequent, but if the whole point is to get me to change my eating habits to something better, then why go back to eating the way I did?

I'm not saying it's wrong for everyone, just for me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I think for me, for now, an occasional meal indulgence during special occasions. Less than one meal a week is what I need to satiate myself so that those old feelings of depravation and anger dont come up. The problem is what is defined as a special occasion to me and what if I have several "special occasions" back to back. How do I determine which one is that special occasion. I guess those are questions I'll get to find out during this looonnngggg journey. Some one on here said that weight loss is not a science it is an art, and I think that it ultimately what will lead to success. Of course, there is a basic science calories in calories out, but I think that we all have to struggle w/ the art of balance and moderation. How much paint do we want to put on or take off on this canvas we call our body.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't have 'cheat days' as such but we are less strict at the weekends otherwise we'd never go out and do stuff/eat out/eat with friends etc.

Now, I realise this is going to result in a slightly slower loss, but compared to how I used to eat I'm still doing fantastically well and have introduced exercise into my life and am finding a more healthy me in a way I can sustain long term without feeling deprived or that the length of the journey makes it hopeless.

I had a choc ice this weekend.... but I didn't eat the whole box of 3 in one day as I might have done once! :-)
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    i have a binge day like once a week but thats not planned and i always go over board..

i had a mini one yesterday and i swore i would gain weight but i actually didn't at all :) relief !
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I usually indulge in a cheat day over the weekend. One day of drinking and eating whatever I want. I do work out theses days.
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    "Cheat" and "guilt" are words I try not to associate with food. There is a place in my diet for anything I might want, so if I want to have three slices of pizza for dinner one night, I just track the calories and move on. I'm down about 100 pounds, so it's working well for me.

This is the mentality I'm trying to have. I'm watching calories more than I'm watching what I eat. That's not to say I'm not eating healthier options (they tend to have fewer calories!), but that if I have a hamburger -- it's not a cheat.

With that said, I do try to take it easy. So, when I had pizza, I had one slice with salad and veggies on the side. When I had Easter dinner last night, I tried to chill on the bread and potato salad -- but I still ate it. And I counted the number of chips I ate when I had the chips and salsa at my sister's house. :)
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Instead of calling it Cheat Day how about Treat Day :) I think its good to treat yourself every once in a while like on Holidays or a fancy restaurant or something
  • MommyBea
    MommyBea Posts: 84
    Options
    I have one cheat/ rest day a week..but i dont go crazy with it..im sure ive had "cheat days" when i didnt even go over my calorie limit!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Chris Powell from the Biggest Loser has a book called "CHOOSE TO LOSE." He explains it very clearly as to how 'spike/cheat' meals or days (whatever you call it) is beneficial.

I think it is really a personal choice and you have to decide what will work best for you. Trial and Error is simply how we learn. Good Luck!
  • deedaltz
    deedaltz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" once a week, on Fridays. It doesnt mean that I will stop logging my calories, I eat healthy as I normally would but I also allow myself a dessert or snack I wouldnt normally eat. These are also the days I don't have time to go to the gym, so I make sure that I am still within my calorie goal but its something to really look forward to and not feel too guilty about.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I do it because I want to. It hasn't hindered my weight loss. I don't care about spike days or kickstarting my metabolism or any of that other bro-science. Live your life while you can.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'd burn out if I didn't have a cheat day, from my personal experience in the past I'm more likely to continue my journey with set rest days and cheat days
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!