heart rate monitor

Options
I am looking to purchase a heart rate monitor. (A first!) Not too outrageously expensive, but accurate. What kind do you have and do you like it?

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    ohh interested to hear on this too.. seriously considering one
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a 'Pyle Sports PHRM38 Heart Rate Monitor Watch with 3D Walking/Running Sensor '- bought it from Amazon and it was about 30 bucks. It does the basic stuff... I got it so I would know how many calories I burned when I worked out. Didn't need it for any other reason so that is why I got the less expesive one.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and it was around 97.00..It comes with a chest strap for accurate readings. Personally, If your going to invest some money I would go with one that is pretty accurate. By far the best piece of equipment I've bought thus far. Easy to use and accurate.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump. I need one too!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have the pink Polar FT4 - been using it about three weeks now and absolutely LOVE IT!!! I got it on bodytronics.com for only $61.88 and free shipping. It is one of the best investments I've made! Definitely worth the price. I also found a Droid phone app called jogtracker and I set it when I jog/walk and it's always pretty close with the calorie burn that the HRM shows.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    BUMP LOOKING FOR ONE AS WELL.
  • Laurielronic
    Laurielronic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am wanting one for the same reason - to see how many calories i burn while working out so I don't need anything super fancy.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7... got it for Christmas.. not sure how I could ever do without it now...
  • SunnyB09
    SunnyB09 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump - I want one!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    Polar FT4 for me also and just also bought a Fitbit which links in with this site... love em both... especially the fitbit which is a pedometer/calorie counter but it doesn't do heart rate
  • ExAlejandro12
    ExAlejandro12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've got a polar ft4 and its great :D does everything you need
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7...or really ANY Polar or Garmin. Make sure you get one with a chest strap...without it you won't get accurate readings. And remember you get what you pay for. When I first bought mine I purchased a cheaper one from a local sports store and it was horrible! Fortunately they let me return it and I went online and ordered my Polar that same day. Its SUPER easy to use..I LOVE it!
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of buying one also, mostly to count calorie burn, but I wonder if there are other features I should want it for. I am new to fitness, and I am loving it. I love logging my exercise on here and seeing what I burned, but I don't trust it's accuracy. So a HRM seems to make sense, but I want to know what else they are good for. Also, do I need to wear it all day, or just when I'm working out? Thanks for all the helpful information!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump. Thanks so much for the input. I will definitely check out. TKS to all replies.
  • The_Jurgen
    Options
    I went with the RS100 when I did my research, I liked the look a little better - since it's also my everyday watch.

The best part of Polar devices is the chest strap - very comfortable (it's basically fabric). I used to hate wearing an enormous rubber band around me that made me a little claustrophobic. I've worn the Polar strap for months now at every workout - it's very normal. For the ladies, I believe there are special sports bra's that you can plug the Polar sensor into.

Just note that this is the old standard of HRMs - it's not ANT4 compatible. I use an iPhone w/ iSmoothRun, which feeds data to my Runkeeper account. You can buy a HRM receiver from Runalyzer which plugs into the iPhone and is compatible with Polar and thus can add HR data to Runkeeper.

I am currently using just the RS100 right now as I'm in week 2 of Insanity. I love it for the calorie tracking. I believe the number it's giving me for calories burned (ignore % calories from fat - useless metric) and coupled w/ MFP, I'm seeing the weight loss, I'm supposed to be seeing.

Tip - for intensity kinds of workouts - the higher the HR the better (assuming you're in OK cardio shape vs starting out on a 200 lb weight loss goal). So I frequently look at the HR during the workout to see if I'm really pushing it - plus it beeps when I got into zone 4+ - where I want to be. I was surprised how often I'm not and allowing fatigue to trick me into resting when I should be pushing on. I record the highest HR of each workout to ensure that I'm meeting "my" goal of mid-170s for highest HR.

Good luck
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar F7 Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch can't wait for it to come in.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7
  • candyrayne215
    candyrayne215 Posts: 49 Member
    Options