Placenta Eating (DO NOT MOD)

Options

Replies

• newmommynewfitme
    Options
    They also make placenta tincture, apparently the placenta is placed in a mason jar with 95% drinking alcohol for 6 weeks or so. Then the rest of the placenta is strained out. You put several drops of it in water, to help with different hormonal imbalances .

I say to each their own, I personally can't imagine trying it any of those ways.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    We are just like any animal just with a higher IQ, But its natural to eat the placenta among humans and other animal! It's full of good things and can help with PPD! If they did not need to take my daughters for testing because of her IUGR i would of took it and had it turned in to supplements. In todays society it's looked at as taboo. . . among other natural things likes breast feeding. . .
    I think you're wrong. Most societies ritualistically buried the placenta. They did not eat it.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    We are just like any animal just with a higher IQ, But its natural to eat the placenta among humans and other animal! It's full of good things and can help with PPD! If they did not need to take my daughters for testing because of her IUGR i would of took it and had it turned in to supplements. In todays society it's looked at as taboo. . . among other natural things likes breast feeding. . .
    I think you're wrong. Most societies ritualistically buried the placenta. They did not eat it.

I can't vouch for human societies eating it or not, but I do know the majority of mammals do eat the placenta after giving birth.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    YES I know what they meant, yes breast feeding in public taboo against eating your own placenta. But no it's NOT considered taboo in Australia. You can breast feed without baring your breasts, I breast feed in public all the time. Just to make it clear it is not considered taboo to breast feed in public in Australia.

As to the eating your own placenta, I was asked for my opinion and I gave it. Nope won't be doing it.
    Nope, won't be eating my own placenta now or ever. However I'm surprised you compared breast feeding and placenta eating. In Australia if you DON'T breast feed it's considered taboo, breast is best! it's our slogan.

no no they are comparing breast feeding IN PUBLIC to eating a placenta.... le sigh.... and its not medically taboo it is encouraged... and as far as i know its always been encouraged to breast feed... public breast feeding is different.

and what animals do they also do because they are hungry. and often starve to death JUST SAYIN
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options

I can't vouch for human societies eating it or not, but I do know the majority of mammals do eat the placenta after giving birth.
    Yes, I stated that in an earlier post.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    So, can anyone tell me if there's any scientific evidence about the benefits of this (that can't be gotten elsewhere)?
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

Yes, I stated that in an earlier post.

:)
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    personally i wouldnt do this ..

Id rather take a multivitamin and eat a burger (vege of course!).... nutrients and protein
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    would you log it if you ate it?? *shudder*
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Eating eggs is eating a fertilized chicken fetus, so I don't particularly object to the idea of taking placenta capsules if it were beneficial. I use hask placenta on my hair.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Pill = Processed. BAD!

Let me share some of my delicious recipes with you all instead.
    Perhaps with fava beans, washed down with a nice Chianti...

Hahahah! I can't let this comment go unnoticed :laugh: Perfect execution!

Thank you, Clarice.
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options
    Well for example I had a client (I'm a doula by the way, professional labor support and childbirth educator) who suffered from severe postpartum depression after the birth of her first baby. She also had issues with her milk supply and gave up breastfeeding within the first month. This pregnancy she did not want to have to take antidepressants or use formula so she did some research and contacted me. I was her doula for her birth and I also encapsulated her placenta. Her husband will tell you that she reacted completely different with this postpartum period. She had tons of energy and she never showed signs of depression. Best of all, to date, she has such a great milk supply that she has donated over 900 oz of milk to two local mothers who could not produce enough milk for their babies.

While I am sure this is true, I don't know how related it was to the eating of the placenta.
    My mom had postpartum badly with my sister, and none with me. Every pregnancy is different, and everyone's postpartum is different with each pregnancy. Some women have a good milk supply one pregnancy and none the next. I'm still not convinced eating the placenta had anything to do with this.

True but when I see it client after client I can't ignore it. I see a very distinct difference in moms who do PE and those that don't. Not in every case mind you but pretty frequently. Moms with PE have a shorter healing time and milk tends to come in faster and in larger quantities, and "baby blues" are seldom an issue. Ask me for studies and I can't provide much but I see it so I believe in the benefits.

How much does it generally cost? I am 17w5d pregnant, and I am open to this being accurate, but still get the 'gross out' factor. I will have to ask my doctor more about it and others who have experienced it.

Why on earth would you waste that money to get the nutritional value you could probably gain from a cow's liver. Don't be a sucker. It's just waste material. Animals eat it to keep predators away from their dens and their newborns. You have that problem? NO. Try not to be foolish.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have no need nor desire to eat my own placenta - for a start it's like liver and I hate liver. For a continuation I am living in the western world and have access to beef and lamb. I am not a starving person in the 3rd world who needs the calories right now or she will starve; and I am not a cow in the field who must eat it or the wolves will smell the blood.

So that's a big fat 'no' for me. If you're into whale music and placenta eating (not to mention having a moon hut in your back yard and learning how to play kum bay yah on the guitar) then go hard. I will neither stop nor laugh at you.

But I ain't gonna do it. It's not da way I roll, man.
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    Well for example I had a client (I'm a doula by the way, professional labor support and childbirth educator) who suffered from severe postpartum depression after the birth of her first baby. She also had issues with her milk supply and gave up breastfeeding within the first month. This pregnancy she did not want to have to take antidepressants or use formula so she did some research and contacted me. I was her doula for her birth and I also encapsulated her placenta. Her husband will tell you that she reacted completely different with this postpartum period. She had tons of energy and she never showed signs of depression. Best of all, to date, she has such a great milk supply that she has donated over 900 oz of milk to two local mothers who could not produce enough milk for their babies.

While I am sure this is true, I don't know how related it was to the eating of the placenta.
    My mom had postpartum badly with my sister, and none with me. Every pregnancy is different, and everyone's postpartum is different with each pregnancy. Some women have a good milk supply one pregnancy and none the next. I'm still not convinced eating the placenta had anything to do with this.

True but when I see it client after client I can't ignore it. I see a very distinct difference in moms who do PE and those that don't. Not in every case mind you but pretty frequently. Moms with PE have a shorter healing time and milk tends to come in faster and in larger quantities, and "baby blues" are seldom an issue. Ask me for studies and I can't provide much but I see it so I believe in the benefits.

How much does it generally cost? I am 17w5d pregnant, and I am open to this being accurate, but still get the 'gross out' factor. I will have to ask my doctor more about it and others who have experienced it.

Why on earth would you waste that money to get the nutritional value you could probably gain from a cow's liver. Don't be a sucker. It's just waste material. Animals eat it to keep predators away from their dens and their newborns. You have that problem? NO. Try not to be foolish.

Wow, SO rude.
    I was asking out of curiosity more than anything. In fact, I had a personal conversation with someone saying "unless someone proved to me it was some sort of miracle I would NOT eat my own placenta."
    In that same personal conversation I said "I would rather get those nutrients from somewhere else then eat my own organ"

I really do want to know how much people are spending on it, though... because I am curious.

If you read my very first post, you would see I have no desire to partake in this...but even if I did, WHY on earth do you feel it appropriate to decide on what I do with my body or my pregnancy?

I still plan on asking others experiences (again, for curiosity, not that I should have to state this), because it would be interesting to hear what others have to say. I personally think it is placebo affect and have found no scientific conclusions on the benefits...but so long as it isn't causing harm and you have the disposable income, I see nothing wrong with the women who want to try it. It is just not for me.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    *wonders if adding (DO NOT MOD) in the title of a post actually works...
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options

Wow, SO rude.
    I was asking out of curiosity more than anything. In fact, I had a personal conversation with someone saying "unless someone proved to me it was some sort of miracle I would NOT eat my own placenta."
    In that same personal conversation I said "I would rather get those nutrients from somewhere else then eat my own organ"

I really do want to know how much people are spending on it, though... because I am curious.

If you read my very first post, you would see I have no desire to partake in this...but even if I did, WHY on earth do you feel it appropriate to decide on what I do with my body or my pregnancy?

I still plan on asking others experiences (again, for curiosity, not that I should have to state this), because it would be interesting to hear what others have to say. I personally think it is placebo affect and have found no scientific conclusions on the benefits...but so long as it isn't causing harm and you have the disposable income, I see nothing wrong with the women who want to try it. It is just not for me.

I see something wrong with it because it just helps those con artists that are just trying to separate people from their money.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm breast feeding. . . But when you breast feed in public people stare and stare and make comments like its wrong. . . I don't think its taboo. I'm just trying to say that most people (that dont have kids, or have kids and never Breast feed, or men) find it odd that a woman pulls out her boob to feed her child in public. At least thats how it is in chicago. . .

People are just so ridiculous. If I had a child, we were out in a public place and it needed to EAT then yes - I would wack it out there and then! Stuff what everyone else thinks, I hope they have nightmares over it. Idiots.
  • curvatrino
    curvatrino Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    would you log it if you ate it?? *shudder*

^^this LOL
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The thing that worries me most (and there was a documentary on Channel 4 in the UK about this) is that the women who take away your placenta just casually cook it up in their kitchen...

I would be worried how clean their kitchen was and be worried that the dog/cat didn't lick it or whatever...

Plus, I also find it rather gross...
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm breast feeding. . . But when you breast feed in public people stare and stare and make comments like its wrong. . . I don't think its taboo. I'm just trying to say that most people (that dont have kids, or have kids and never Breast feed, or men) find it odd that a woman pulls out her boob to feed her child in public. At least thats how it is in chicago. . .

People are just so ridiculous. If I had a child, we were out in a public place and it needed to EAT then yes - I would wack it out there and then! Stuff what everyone else thinks, I hope they have nightmares over it. Idiots.

Like letitia75 said - it's possible to breast feed without baring your breasts. I suspect if more women were modest about it there would be fewer people objecting to it. I know it's natural and I have no problem with it, but I have to admit I'm a bit disturbed by women who whip it out in public and don't cover up in any way. (And just to go on record - I am female)

As for the placenta eating - ick, no thank you. As I understand it, the placenta is a filter organ. One of the things it does is handling fetal waste. Why would you want to ingest that?