Coke Zero

Options
13»

Replies

• LWriter
    LWriter Posts: 50
    Options
    I am sure a coke zero here and there won't hurt you. Enjoy your coke zero a few times a week at lunch, just don't drink it all day, every day:)

So, this means 3-4 is OK but 7 is not? How do you come up with that?

I hope the OP realizes that 98% of these responses are personal opinion and not based on sciencific findings.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    "I bought a twelve pack of sparkling water last week with a touch of lime. It gave me the carbonated drink with no calories. "

That's a great idea. I think there will be certain amount of weaning that will have to happen too.

best reply - more water, less soda - you're body will start to crave the water more too....and sparkling water will help break up the monotony....
    best soda out there - ginger ale - if you really really really need soda....
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I hope the OP realizes that 98% of these responses are personal opinion and not based on sciencific findings.

So how about we all just pay attention to the 2% that are.

Tigersword, thanks as always for providing real info in a sea of myth and hearsay.
  • hairspraymafia
    hairspraymafia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you live but I buy President's Choice sparkling fruit juice!! There 4 cans to a case and it costs about $2.99 for a case, sometimes you can get it on sale!!! I love this sparkling juice because it made with fruit so you are getting your fruit!
    All I can say if you want the coke go for the small cans and you will fine!!!
    I love those!! I drank them all the time at parties while pregnant. The peach one is my favorite!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I am sure a coke zero here and there won't hurt you. Enjoy your coke zero a few times a week at lunch, just don't drink it all day, every day:)

There is a recommended safe upper limit for artificial sweeteners. Going past that upper limit may or may not
    cause problems in some people.
    ---
    To the person that got hungry from drinking diet soda, could it have been the caffeine?
  • donnajoogarcia
    donnajoogarcia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am totally addicted to Coke Zero, but I have done some research and it's not good. First off, the ingredient that makes it diet (this would hold true for all sugar free items), aspertame, is like poison. It has so many side effects and negatives, it's ridiculous and scary. I suggest doing a little research so you have an understanding of how unhealthy it really is. Most recently I read (just a few weeks ago) that the ingredient in Coke and Pepsi products has been added to the official list of carcinogins, and the companies must now either put a cancer warning on the labels or change their ingredients. i believe it is the ingredien that gives it the carmel coloring. In doing research, I found that having two sodas per week can increase your risk of pancreatic cancer by 80%. My doctor also told me that for every soda you drink, you must drink two additional glasses of water to flush your kidneys. As for it being a negative with regard to dieting, I've heard that for years. Again, something to do with the ingredient that makes it zero calorie. I LOVE Coke Zero, but must admit that it is detrimental to your health, if not to your dieting.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Warning: Artifical sweeteners cause health issues in two groups.
    1) People with a specific sensitivity to artificial sweeteners
    2) People that believe everything they read on the internet

ha ha
  • donnajoogarcia
    donnajoogarcia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, most of what is posted here is just personal opinion,and that is our right. We can make up our minds to believe whatever we choose to believe, scientific back up or not. But we owe it to ourselves to be somewhat realistic and admit that consuming cans of man made chemicals with zero nutritional value has got to have some negative effect on the body. We'd be lying to ourselves to think otherwise. When you think about all the processed, fake foods and drinks out there, it's no wonder the cancer rate is so rampid, to say the least. Again, I am an avid Coke Zero lover, but I'm not so blind as to fool myself that there will be no negative consequences for consuming chemicals. It's my hope to overcome my addiction to soda in general.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think they're like anything else... best in moderation!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input.
    I think the beer option is looking better, in moderation of course. There are far more "studies" suggesting the health benefits of beer thatn for soda of any description. But hey, I don't want to open up a different can of worms on this one :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am totally addicted to Coke Zero, but I have done some research and it's not good. First off, the ingredient that makes it diet (this would hold true for all sugar free items), aspertame, is like poison. It has so many side effects and negatives, it's ridiculous and scary. I suggest doing a little research so you have an understanding of how unhealthy it really is. Most recently I read (just a few weeks ago) that the ingredient in Coke and Pepsi products has been added to the official list of carcinogins, and the companies must now either put a cancer warning on the labels or change their ingredients. i believe it is the ingredien that gives it the carmel coloring. In doing research, I found that having two sodas per week can increase your risk of pancreatic cancer by 80%. My doctor also told me that for every soda you drink, you must drink two additional glasses of water to flush your kidneys. As for it being a negative with regard to dieting, I've heard that for years. Again, something to do with the ingredient that makes it zero calorie. I LOVE Coke Zero, but must admit that it is detrimental to your health, if not to your dieting.
    These are all long standing myths that have been debunked by science. Aspartame is not a poison. It's protein. Did you know there is roughly the same amount of "aspartame" in 2 apples as there is in a can of Coke Zero? Aspartame is aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and there's roughly 180mg of it in Diet Soda. There is roughly 91 mg of aspartic acid and phenylalanine in an apple. So anytime you eat an apple, it's the equivalent of the sweetener you would get from half a can of Coke Zero. And, on top of that, a 4 oz piece of chicken breast contains the equivalent of 25 cans of diet soda. Just because they use chemical names on ingredient lists, does not mean that these ingredients don't actually exist in nature. Just like Stevia. Stevia can refer to both a natural sweetener from the Stevia plant, and a completely artificial sweetener derived from parts of the Stevia plant.
    I agree, most of what is posted here is just personal opinion,and that is our right. We can make up our minds to believe whatever we choose to believe, scientific back up or not. But we owe it to ourselves to be somewhat realistic and admit that consuming cans of man made chemicals with zero nutritional value has got to have some negative effect on the body. We'd be lying to ourselves to think otherwise. When you think about all the processed, fake foods and drinks out there, it's no wonder the cancer rate is so rampid, to say the least. Again, I am an avid Coke Zero lover, but I'm not so blind as to fool myself that there will be no negative consequences for consuming chemicals. It's my hope to overcome my addiction to soda in general.
    Everything is a chemical. I'd worry far more about the pollution in the air and water, than the incredibly minscule amounts of an artificial sweetener in a can of soda. Diet soda is still 99% pure water.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I bought a twelve pack of sparkling water last week with a touch of lime. It gave me the carbonated drink with no calories.

^^ This. That's how I weened myself off diet coke.
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options

This is my personal opinion. I believe that anything in moderation is ok (as long as you don't have specific health issues and your dr. says to avoid certain foods), and having a coke zero here and there most likely won't hurt you. If you read, I did not give a specific number, because I am not an expert, I just said a few here and there probably won't hurt anyone. I did not claim to be an expert, and did not give any scientific information, just said a few every now and then most likely won't harm anyone. If you read I said "all day everyday", as I am sure anything could bad for you if you have 50 a day. This is my opinion. There are plenty of studies that have conflicting information, and my PERSONAL motto is "anything in moderation." I am not an expert, and do not claim to be. I will say it again, I am sure a few a week won't hurt you, so enjoy your coke zero as long as you aren't drinking it all day everyday, as I think too much of anything could be bad for you, and this is totally opinon based. Thanks