Dr told me to stop logging :-0

Options

Replies

• Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary and you are surely not getting enough nutrients and fuel for your body.:smile:
    I took a quick peek too, and I have one question.....Cadbury Creme Egg McFlurry?!?! Whaaaaat? Where's the drooling smiley?! lol
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary and you are surely not getting enough nutrients and fuel for your body.:smile:
    I took a quick peek too, and I have one question.....Cadbury Creme Egg McFlurry?!?! Whaaaaat? Where's the drooling smiley?! lol

Hmmm yes not my finest moment but they are out but once a year!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how logging your food is going to make you deficient in any vitamins. I would think it would be the opposite... seeing everything you eat in a day like that makes you notice things you're not getting enough of, etc. At least it does for me. I would just take a multi vitamin.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Hmmm yes not my finest moment but they are out but once a year!!
    I didn't know such a thing existed! It doesn't exist here in the states, anyway. And if it only comes around once a year, I definitely don't blame you for splurging. I do the same here when McDonald's brings out the Shamrock shake once a year. Gotta have one...Yummy!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all your advice I do eat nuts and seeds I get graze boxes through the post and they are in little pre portioned punets but I always log them under the silly names they give them.

As for vegetables I'm trying to up them I most of which have to come from frozen due to money problems and the fact my other half is not in on this health thing at all and insists on eating loads of crap in huge quantities. So the most I get fresh wise usually is a bit of salad and the occasional stir fry. As for meat he refuses to buy anything like that as its "too expensive". Not that thats any excuse and i have managed to sneak a few more healthy things in this week and I got some eggs for protein. I know I should put my foot down but he always takes it like a personal attack.

The whole Dr thing over here is different I think as I'm in the UK where we get free healthcare so its all about saving money with the drs. Like he didn't give me antibiotics this time as he said I just need to see how I go ect same with blood tests they have to think you need one before you get them.

I really do agree with you all that my diet is awful and has slipped for a while I really didn't realise how much until you all pointed it out just goes to show how easy it is to slip back into old habits.

Thank you again everyone :)

From my psych studies:

1) People's diets tend to mimic those who are closest to them. You really should try to convince your other half to be more like you not you like him since he seems to be the one with the bad habits.

2) If he sees is as a personal attack, this is not a food issue, it is a mental issue. What are you attacking? Why does he think you are being aggressive to him? Step back for a moment and reason it out. Is it him or is it you? If it's him, what can you do to alleviate that pressure? In my general experience, the person that feels attacked is either trying to stick to 'habit' which they feel that you are attacking them for their 'habit' or they are feeling 'fear' which is fear of change. Either one will send anyone into a defensive position, but point out the logical conclusions and they might see different. No change and things don't get better, change, and things CAN get better. Taking charge of your health shouldn't be an attack to him but should inspire him to do better, if he is wise enough to realize that.

Basically he is 140lb over weight always eaten the way he has and doesn't want to change! He sometimes dabbles with the idea of being healthy but it never lasts. I feel really mean saying this but its the only awquard part of our relationship.

Do you have an Aldi nearby? Or Lidl? They often have really cheap fresh fruit and veg, for instance 350g Broccoli is just 39p at Aldi at the moment. Your husband may be less supportive than he could be due to jealousy and a worry that can't achieve the wonderful success that you have but do stand firm and make sure you get the foods you need to stay healthy too.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I also used to get Graze boxes, extremely tasty but I just can't justify the calories in them at the moment. Although they are healthier foods I find the ones I like are too high for me to build in and still have enough allowance for substantial meals. I snack on fresh fruit or gherkins or cucumber now!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how logging your food is going to make you deficient in any vitamins. I would think it would be the opposite... seeing everything you eat in a day like that makes you notice things you're not getting enough of, etc. At least it does for me. I would just take a multi vitamin.

It's not BECAUSE she's logging but because she's in a deficit. Hard to fit enough vitamins when you're on a calorie deficit.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I went to the drs and was diagnosed with sinusitus (sp?) Given antibiotics and told if I don't get any better in two weeks to go back.

Since then I have had a temperature every day and developed a really sore throat and sores in my mouth (gross I know). So today I went back to see him again and he says he thinks I've got a second viral infection and the start of tonsillitus (sp?) He also asked if I've lost weight (think he noticed my notes had about me being obese and I'm not now) and so I told him is been calorie counting and he told me to stop as I seem run down so probably not getting enough vitamins ect!

Anyway I don't think I can stop logging my food so I've switched my goal to maintenance for the moment and I'm going to concentrate on eating healthier as for the last couple of weeks I've been eating what tastes ok (which isn't much).

So my question to all of you is do you really think I could be worse off vitamin and mineral wise than i was when I was obese? It doesn't make any sence.

It is WHAT you eat that determines what nutrients you get. If you eat a lot of junk, sweets, cakes, biscuits, chocolate during the day, of course you will find your nutrients may not be as good as they would have been if you had replaced those things with veg, fruit, eggs, meat, fish and other good foods.

So the question really is, what exactly does your daily diet consist of, is it good foods or is there a lot of junk in there?
  • GardenKat99
    Options
    From my psych studies:

1) People's diets tend to mimic those who are closest to them. You really should try to convince your other half to be more like you not you like him since he seems to be the one with the bad habits.

I am curious regarding the studies you point out; this can be a slippery slope: If you tend to hang with fat people you will be fat. Took a long time to dispel that myth, many peer reviewed studies support that. Also if it were the reverse were true MFP would be a different app altogether. I don't mean to be argumentative, curious more than anything with regards to this discussion.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

So my question to all of you is do you really think I could be worse off vitamin and mineral wise than i was when I was obese? It doesn't make any sence.

wait..... obese = healthy according to dr? That's a first :huh:

I think you just need to make sure you're getting a good multivitamin everyday to make up for any vitamins or minerals you're not getting in your diet
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Sure, you could be. But not logging your food isn't going to change that. In fact, logging it will give you a better chance of figuring out what you're actually getting. So that you can improve it.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Severe caloric deprivation can lead to vitamin & mineral deficiency. If that's the case then you can always use a good multivitamin. But if you have been sick for a few weeks, that would cause you to be run down. Also, not all calories are created equal. Junk food vs wholesome food are not the same and affect you differently. You will feel a lot better if you eat less processed, sugary & fatty foods. Not that this has anything to do with sinusitis mind you. Just try to focus on getting well, maybe get a good multivitamin & make sure you are drinking enough water to help flush the nasty stuff out of your body :flowerforyou:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Keep logging and take a multivitamin and maybe some emergen-c :) I don't think logging your food is directly related to your illnesses, but maybe you aren't getting enough vitamins and minerals.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Not sure how not logging would suddenly mean you were getting appropriate nutrients. A good doctor would have said, "Great - let's have a look and see if your diet is giving you what you need." It's more data for the doctor to help assess you. That is if your doctor gives a damn about actually assess YOU rather than making a generalization that has nothing to do with whether or not you are logging calories. I haven't looked at your diary but noted that others said you need a better variety of foods. I'd take that to heart if I were you. :-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I went to the drs and was diagnosed with sinusitus (sp?) Given antibiotics and told if I don't get any better in two weeks to go back.

Since then I have had a temperature every day and developed a really sore throat and sores in my mouth (gross I know). So today I went back to see him again and he says he thinks I've got a second viral infection and the start of tonsillitus (sp?) He also asked if I've lost weight (think he noticed my notes had about me being obese and I'm not now) and so I told him is been calorie counting and he told me to stop as I seem run down so probably not getting enough vitamins ect!

Anyway I don't think I can stop logging my food so I've switched my goal to maintenance for the moment and I'm going to concentrate on eating healthier as for the last couple of weeks I've been eating what tastes ok (which isn't much).

Maybe he thinks you must be on a severe calorie restricted diet, and doesn't want the body having extra stress right now being malnourished, either nutrient or energy wise. Perhaps that's why he thinks you got worse.

But you are eating at a great level. So a little more won't be bad. Just getting the sickies. Probably got another bug while weak.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have to take multi vits & minerals 100% of my daily needs as I had a gastric bypass 15 months ago. Even with this & very good health eating they pick up occassional dips in some things. Currently ferratin & Vit D!! The vitamins are just not in the food anymore as it is so intensively reared & processed, not at the levels they used to be anyway!
    Take the supplements & eat a balanced diet to a sensible level while you are ill then go back to being more controlled when you are better.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but since your dairy is open..............

You are providing a prime example of how you can lose weight, just by caloric deficit, but not be healthy.

You are losing weight, yes, but you are not taking in proper nutrition.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    OP - what the Dr said to you is like saying "the cause of obesity is bathroom scales." What does logging have to do with WHAT you are eating or for that matter, how much one is eating? If you were eating 3500 calories a day of proteins and veggies but logging it all - would that still be an issue? That may have been the short way of saying that he thinks that by logging you are restricting too much but the bigger picture is looking at what you are eating (whether logging or not).

I agree, it sounds like the doctor feels you are malnourished and perhaps not eating enough?? You need to print out your logs and see a trained nutritionist that will do blood work to see your deficiencies. Don't just go and get a multi-vitamin and continue to not fuel your body with the right foods. Even my primary doctor did blood work before making any recommendations.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary, since you have it open. The bulk of your calories are junk and processed foods, rather than vegetables and fruits. You definitely need help with nutrition. It is definitely possible to be healthy and be a healthy weight. The key is eating healthy foods. Good luck and God bless!

^^^This

Get some vitamin C in you as well in the form of fruit and veg.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all your advice I do eat nuts and seeds I get graze boxes through the post and they are in little pre portioned punets but I always log them under the silly names they give them.

As for vegetables I'm trying to up them I most of which have to come from frozen due to money problems and the fact my other half is not in on this health thing at all and insists on eating loads of crap in huge quantities. So the most I get fresh wise usually is a bit of salad and the occasional stir fry. As for meat he refuses to buy anything like that as its "too expensive". Not that thats any excuse and i have managed to sneak a few more healthy things in this week and I got some eggs for protein. I know I should put my foot down but he always takes it like a personal attack.

The whole Dr thing over here is different I think as I'm in the UK where we get free healthcare so its all about saving money with the drs. Like he didn't give me antibiotics this time as he said I just need to see how I go ect same with blood tests they have to think you need one before you get them.

I really do agree with you all that my diet is awful and has slipped for a while I really didn't realise how much until you all pointed it out just goes to show how easy it is to slip back into old habits.

Thank you again everyone :)

From my psych studies:

2) If he sees is as a personal attack, this is not a food issue, it is a mental issue. What are you attacking? Why does he think you are being aggressive to him? Step back for a moment and reason it out. Is it him or is it you? If it's him, what can you do to alleviate that pressure? In my general experience, the person that feels attacked is either trying to stick to 'habit' which they feel that you are attacking them for their 'habit' or they are feeling 'fear' which is fear of change. Either one will send anyone into a defensive position, but point out the logical conclusions and they might see different. No change and things don't get better, change, and things CAN get better. Taking charge of your health shouldn't be an attack to him but should inspire him to do better, if he is wise enough to realize that.

Basically he is 140lb over weight always eaten the way he has and doesn't want to change! He sometimes dabbles with the idea of being healthy but it never lasts. I feel really mean saying this but its the only awquard part of our relationship.

Who does the cooking? My husband wasn't thrilled with the changes I was making to our family diet but then he found out he has high cholesterol, plus I started taking over the cooking, and then he had no choice. He could eat the food I made or he could make something for himself.