Addicted to the Scale...

Options
This is my second week on MFP. My first week I was weighing myself everyday which I know if a no-go, but I couldn't help it so this week I am forcing myself to stay away from the scale until friday....I am sooo curious to see how much I've lost. I know my weight has gone down because my clothes are fitting different and I've been walking and biking alot. I just feel like I NEED to see the numbers go down...I don't know why.....Anyone else have the "addiction to the scale"?

Replies

• ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was just going though this same question this morning...its a pretty crappy addiction. I need to figure out a way to stop.
  • Bre31
    Bre31 Posts: 1
    Options
    I can say, im so not addicted.....
  • dirtchick97
    Options
    I have the same problem, I weigh myself every morning! I can't help it, it's just like something I feel like I have to do!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There is nothing really wrong with weighing yourself daily, as long as it does not de-motivate you.
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't lead to self-destructive behavior. Most of the time it is inspiring to have another great day.
  • cerhodes13
    cerhodes13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Same time every morning. It doesnt demotivate me but I get so upset with myself when it doesnt go down, or worse yet, goes up. I literally have to talk myself off a ledge and convince myself that its because I ate late or Im holding water or something. Then like half an hour later I am refocused.
  • sbarnhill99
    sbarnhill99 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am defintly with you my friend even posted the other day on my page to stop weighing myself every day but really I like to weight myself everyday because that way I know if I did too much today or just right or stayed stable. One day it went up and I was glad I checked because I didn't look diffrent to know I gained but I saw it on the scale and knew girl you ate one to many things today and got back on the track the next day. :smile:
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it gives false reading as your weight can differ from day to day, but somtimes i cheat i weigh myself on a friday if im partying on the weekend instead of a monday
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself numerous times during the day. the one i go by daily is the one first thing in the a.m. any other time is for curiousity sake. i know it fluctuates (sometimes greatly) throughout the day. it tells me if i am doing ok, or if i should keep an eye on my sodium and up my water intake. it sucks when it is up consistantly but that pushes me to find reason and to push through it.
    you have to be realistic
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    The scale is evil! Put it away so it does not taunt you.
    Get a tape measure and measure yourself...chest, waist, hips, bicep, thighs~

After all, you don't carry your scale around to show, but ppl can see your size change:love:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get rid of it,,, i do not own one!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Theres no way I am letting the weight sneak back up on me
  • punkrockprincess23
    punkrockprincess23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i have an urge but mostly im too busy to think about it, plus if i see it move up a lil it may make me not motivated. i stick to 2x a week
  • OnlyShootingStars
    Options
    I used to have this problem and it was at its worst last year. Unfortunately, I didn't really overcome it on my own, my parents had to take the scale away. After a while without it, I learned that weight isn't everything and it can fluctuate by a few pounds just by drinking a lot of water in one day. Perhaps you could think of it the same way? If you find that you can't immediately hide the scale and go from weighing yourself daily to once a week or so, gradually decrease your weighing from 7 days a week to, 6,5,4 etc. until you're only weighing yourself about once a week.
  • Melinka77
    Options
    I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal to weigh yourself daily. Unless it drives you nuts, then maybe it's not for you. But I weigh every other day at least so that I can see how my eating affects my weight. I notice when I don't hold myself accountable to the scale is when I start to gain. So it works for me. It's a personal choice :-)
  • JLC_24
    JLC_24 Posts: 4
    Options
    I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal to weigh yourself daily. Unless it drives you nuts, then maybe it's not for you. But I weigh every other day at least so that I can see how my eating affects my weight. I notice when I don't hold myself accountable to the scale is when I start to gain. So it works for me. It's a personal choice :-)

I agree with Melinka77, it's good to see how your eating has affected your weight on a regular basis but of course you also have to take into account the time of the day and month (if you are a woman) and also whether you are retaining water / contipated etc.

I find it motivates me to have a good day and keep up the good work.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm a scale junkie lol. I weigh everyday so I stay on track. Gains don't usually bother me but when I gain a few days in a row, then I know I have to change something. Weighing everyday keeps from gaining lots of weight. :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ooops. I weigh every day, several times. First thing in the morning, then when I get home from work to see how the day is going, then after I've eaten my meal. THEN just as I go to bed. That sounds seriously addicted, but I don't feel like I am . I'm just checking. At the moment I'm only logging my weight once a week, having upped my calories last weekend. | need to know.
  • Cortbear80
    Options
    Yeah so I didn't make it till friday :P I "slipped on that scale" and guess what!!?!?!? I've lost another three lbs! :) Yeah I needed to see that :) I think I will wait a couple more days cuz I do like when the numbers go down more than one number at a time... :)