Hate breakfast

Options
I can't remember ever waking up and wanting to eat, just the sound of food makes me sick. I know to lose weight you should eat something, How to i get myself to eat every morning i can go to 3 in the afternoon at times without food. are there other people like this? If so let me know what you do. I have been eating ok since starting mfp but it's getting hard like today i choked down a half of a banana. thanks for any ideas.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have to wait an hour following my meds I take first thing in the morning. A lot of the time I don't want to eat even then. I always try to get something down by 10 am on days I wake up at 7. Perhaps a meal replacement shake would work better for you first thing. Easier to get down than solid food. I also find getting in a workout in the morning (that hour I have to wait anyway) helps rev up my appetite. Just a couple of ideas!
  • rachel264
    rachel264 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm going to the store in a little while to buy a blender.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe a protein shake, smoothie or some yogurt . Things you don't have to chew for so maybe you can trick you're mind a little, while getting your nutrients in. I am always hungry for breakfast but I also work out in the morning so that could be why.
    Good luck!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    I hate breakfast too and really struggle to eat in the morning. What has helped me is to abandon the idea that I have to have breakfast food for breakfast. I often have some left over dinner or crackers and cheese with somesteamed veggies or a tuna Sammie. I think I'm just trying to fool myself that it's breakfast and trick myself into eating itbut so far it's working!
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So don't force yourself to eat if you can't. Your body doesn't care when it gets food as long as it eventually does within a 24 hour period. A lot of people go on intermittent fasting diets where they'll fast for 16 hours and won't eat until 2-3 pm. Then, they eat all of their calories in a short amount of time.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I can't eat in the morning, my stomach turns sour just thinking about food. I need an hour before I can eat anything solid. I think some people are just like that.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's actually okay to not eat breakfast.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-skipping-breakfast-bad-for-you.aspx

Some people actually fast in the morning, eating lunch as their first meal, as a means to take advantage of the fact that their body has used up its glycogen and switched to fat burning mode (called 'intermittent fasting').
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until about noon or 2 pm everyday. You don't have to eat breakfast :)
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I used to hate eating breakfast (though I have always LOVED breakfast food...) in the morning. How do you feel about drinking a glass of juice or milk instead? I found that having SOMETHING made me ready to eat about an hour later. (That could just be me, though..) I actually feel better now, but that COULD be the thyroid pill adjustment I got in April of last year.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I've always been the same way until I made it my routine. As soon as I wake up I chug down warm lemon water, I've been doing this for 2yrs now, it seemed in the begining to help me get hungry, more quickly. Lemon water hydrates your body and gives your system a helpful boost of vitamin C first thing in the morning. It also aids digestion, assists in weight loss and gives you energy! I would reccomend trying the lemon water and then try eating an hr after that. That's what I do and it works! You have to train your body and once it get's use to eating an hr after waking over time it'll start getting hungry an hr after waking.

Good luck!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    maybe it's the type of food?
    try steak, tuna, other non-breakfast foods...
    have eggs or cereal for dinner?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until about noon or 2 pm everyday. You don't have to eat breakfast :)

^^^^^the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" thing is a myth
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Me too. I don't like breakfast either. Usually on weekends my guys like a nice breakfast, and I can eat then, but during the week, I just don't want to. I have to force myself to eat something, anything, to help kick start my metabolism. I usually eat a banana or some oatmeal. (I have to choke down the oatmeal, let me tell you) It's apparently helping though, as I've lost almost 22 in 2 months, so as much as I hate it, I'll keep on. Good luck!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    force feeding yourself when you're not hungry is the best way to lose weight
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Shockingly, breakfast is not necessary if you don't want to eat it. You don't have to.

Just skip right on to lunch and keep your intake below your calorie limit but enough to keep you full and healthy, and you'll be fine.
  • JohnnyVegas39
    Options
    yikes....
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    my , I would be a bear if I didnt eat breakfast and have my morning cofee !!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    " A lot of people go on intermittent fasting diets where they'll fast for 16 hours and won't eat until 2-3 pm. Then, they eat all of their calories in a short amount of time"

This is a terrible idea and murder for your metabolism. expect to have very low energy and high fat storage if you do this.

If you are overweight, and don't eat until after noon, forcing yourself to eat just a little something can be one of the fastest ways to spark your weight loss. we're all ended up here for a reason. Accepting the fact that some things are going to HAVE to change is something you're going to have to do. Luckily, as breakfast is the most likely food to be burned throughout the day... you have much more wiggle room with what you can eat. As someone else pointed out it doesn't have to be 'breakfast food'. But you have to eat something. it will spark your metabolism like crazy and in turn spark your weight loss. Saying food makes you sick in the morning is nothing but a mental block. nobody said this would be easy. there is no debate here. eating within 60 minutes of waking up is one of the most important things to REAL weight loss.

JV
    started - 260 lbs
    now - 228 lbs
    to go - 28 lbs

Sigh.... meal frequency has nothing to do with metabolic rate and makes no difference to weight loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22173575

See studies linked to those for more.

SW: 220
    CW: 179

Lost it all without eating breakfast unless I want to...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    " A lot of people go on intermittent fasting diets where they'll fast for 16 hours and won't eat until 2-3 pm. Then, they eat all of their calories in a short amount of time"

This is a terrible idea and murder for your metabolism. expect to have very low energy and high fat storage if you do this.

no offense but this is totally bogus. do you have even a shred of evidence (other than your own personal experience) that IF is murder for your metabolism?