How did you become a morning person?

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
I have been suffering from this dilemma forever, working for myself previously I would wake up at 8-9 and get to work at 10 but work till 8-10pm, those days are now long gone.

I am a night owl by nature but my job ready does require me to be up at like 5-7am but I fight every morning to get out of bed. I normally don't fall asleep till between 12-2am. I have started to implement the no laptop, Ipad or Iphone as much as possible. When I do get to bed early I love to wake up early but I just don't feel well rested at 4-6hours and most of the time endure a headache or a migraine with any less sleep then that.

I also don't get done with my work day till at least 5-6 and don't make it to the gym till at earliest 5-6pm, the norm is between 7-9pm.

What have been some of the practices you have applied to break this habit? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that being in very bright light(eg. sunlight when you get up can help a lot.)
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, when i started exercising daily i just couldn't stay in bed once i was awake - i was up at 9 on the weekend and today and yesterday even though its my easter break. I just can't stay in bed. I'm weird though.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    For me, the morning workout helps. Feels good to get it out of the way, and I'm too braindead at the early hours to make excuses to not run or exercise. Now that I'm working out in the evenings, I too, am finding it hard to wake up early. And earlier bed time (of course) and putting phone/ipad/laptop in airplane mode has helped my sleep be sounder. I've a theory that the vibration buzzes trigger something in my subconcious and keep me from getting all the way to sleep. LOL
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have never been a morning person, but I can function as one.

I get up a little after 6 just about every morning, I gave up coffee recently, and I also usually work out at night (normally after my son goes to bed, which isn't until 8:30, so it isn't unusual for me to get home from the gym at 10).

Drinking plenty of water helps me ward off headaches, as does making sure I eat regularly to keep my blood sugar up, and making an effort to get to bed a bit earlier (11 or so), even if it takes me a while to fall asleep, has really helped me get better quality rest so I am not so tired.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I dont know...I just woke up that way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! funny thing is , I have been doing it ever since !
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If I have to be up then I am up and alert straight away, if, however, I am woken up and don't have to be up, the person doing the waking better run fast.
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    I became a morning person? :laugh:

I plan on getting up at 7 from now on to make breakfast for my husband before he leaves for work (and for myself, since I'll be awake), but let's see how long that lasts (probably three days, tops).
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination... but I can be if I go to bed early (10/1030). You need to download and unplug when you get home. I dont know what your family responsibilities are, but take care of those, then take a hot bath to relax, and then go lay down with a good book or something and go to bed. That's what I have to do.

P.S. I love your profile pic ~ we just went to the reason rally the weekend before last!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's that easy to change your body's natural tendency. However, you can find an equilibrium.

Like a few others here, I can get myself going in the morning if I get up and immediately get active--do yoga, go for a run, etc. Then I feel better.

However, no matter what I've done, my body still resists being awake in the morning, and revels in being up late at night. I have to put in effort to be awake and productive in the morning. My best time of day is between about 3 pm and midnight, still.

I wish the world made it easier to work with our circadian rhythms better...
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I never have... I have to get up between 5 and 5:30 for work... and I am regularly falling asleep on my hour drive to work every single day. I hate mornings. It doesn't matter when I get to bed, either.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    4am everyday for me.
    I have ALWAYS been a morning person though. I can get a lot done in the morning.
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't hate mornings. I just hate getting out of the bed, but once I'm up I'm good to go. The bed is just so nice and warm at 5:15 :yawn:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Have a kid. You will be up and out of bed early every single morning.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I will never be a morning person, but I can get up at 6am and be functional. I can't exercise in the morning though, no matter how many times I have tried. I get up with exactly enough time to get showered, pack my lunch, and get to work on time. I definitely have to force myself to go to bed by 11pm though.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I had to start going to the barn to milk cows before school when I was 13 (father was ill) and every job since then has required getting up early so it is ingrained in my system now.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have successfully transitioned from night-owl to early bird. I used to sleep 8 - 9 hours a night and now I automatically wake up after six, no matter what.

The first thing is a morning exercise routine. It makes it a lot easier to have a reason to get out of bed. So I go to bed at 11:00 every night and wake up at 5:00 am every morning. (I tried going to bed earlier but just woke up earlier instead.)

Natural light is helpful too. But honestly, what made me transition was moving my workouts to first thing in the morning. You feel so fantastic after that it is easier to transition.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    I remember in my Pscy studies that there are real biological differences between day and night people, mabe do some research about it. We may just be genetically screwed. I am not a morning person either.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Working out late in the evening to keep you from being able to sleep at night. Getting up early and working out first thing would be your best bet. It will help you to be tired at night because you have gotten up early and spent day at work. Try coming up with a routine at night to help you sleep like taking a hot bath.
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    have a baby... or repitition of the alarm going off at 5am every morning regardless if I want to get up or not... eventually you just get used to it. Year ago I signed up for a boot camp that went from 5:30-6:30am Mon-Fri, I cried at the thought of waking up so early, but in the end just got used to it and it was ok.