How did you become a morning person?

Options

Replies

• brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started a job that required me to be there at 6 am. During the holidays, I'm there as early as 3 am.

Took a while to get used to, but after the holiday season of working so early, the 6 am is nothing now.

Eh, and I realized this doesn't exactly help you, lol. It was just something I got used to. I used to be a night owl, too. Now it's hard to stay up past 10.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    I envy people who can stay up late and lie-in. I awake at about 6am at the absolute latest each day and am knackered by about 9pm. I have always been an early riser. I can't even watch a movie in the evening with my boyfriend without drifting off 15 minutes in!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been getting up at 5am for my job for over 20 years and I have two children and to this day I am not and never will be a morning person. It's not genetically possible. I get up because I have to and I'm not fit to be talked to until around 9 and even then it's questionable. Give me 3 days off in a row and I'll be right back to my night owl ways. This is why I work out after work. If I worked out before work I'd have to be at the gym by 430am and that aint happening.
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I keep my blinds open so whenever the sun starts come up the light automatically wakes me up. Haven't used an alarm in years. The bad thingis I wake up at daybreak regardless of what time I go to bed.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Practice, lights early in the a.m. no lights early in the p.m. (boring reading helps). Lots of coffee and before long you will be up with the birds singing or the sunshine. Having a cat that likes to get you up at 4 a.m. helps. The older you get the easier it is, says something for biological clock reasons too. Did I mention lots of practice? :flowerforyou:
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My wife had babies.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I too am a night-owl by nature. Mostly my moms fault though, because my dad worked swing shift since before I was born until I was about 15, my mom liked to wait up for my dad to get home to spend time with him and she'd keep me up along with her until I was school age, so when I was a baby she'd keep me up so she could get some sleep and as a kid she'd keep me up watching movies with her until he'd get home. We're talking staying12am-2am Mon-Fri I'd be up as a kid, so obviously it was ingrained at a young age and obviously I'd sleep till 10ish each day.

I've suffered with not being a morning person most of my life. My best recomendation is to put your alarm clock across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. I've tried EVERYTHING and that seems to be the best one for me. I also reccomend making sure when you get out of bed, your house isn't freezing. That's my biggest temptation is getting back into my cozy warm bed, but if it's warm outside of your bed you won't have to do that.

Good luck.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Like Lady Gaga says "I was born this way"

I have to giggle about the people who say have a baby, just cause you are up early for whatever reason, doesn't make you a morning person ;]

I did read a theory that your body clock is set from the moment you're born! I have never been a lark, even having had 4 children! I frequently eat dinner late, then set to work on the laptop or computer till the wee small hours - no TV worth watching, no phone calls to interrupt your train of thought. If I need to be up before 7 a.m. I can do it, even in the depths of winter, but I'm not really human, with a functioning brain until I've had a good breakfast, and done the quick crossword and sudoku in our daily paper (half-an-hour for both is my target).

So I don't think I ever will become a morning person!!! :noway:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I joined a special program that helped people realize their early morning potential. The Marine Corps.

Have rarely slept in since.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I recommend Melatonin for more sleep.

I have always been a morning person.

Even if I dont fall asleep until 5 I seriously cant sleep past 9. Smh....

I do however get up at 6 now for work and my body has gotten use to the fact since Ive been working for quite some time.
  • Wil00
    Wil00 Posts: 21
    Options
    I normally get up at 3:30-4:00am (depending on how many times I mash the snooze) and am groggy/sleepy until I make it into work around 6am. This morning I decided to do a bit of exercise (about a 15 minute warm-up) and I felt pretty good most of my 2 hour drive and have been wide awake all morning. I'm going to give this a go for a week and see if I can continue it. If so, I may get up a bit earlier and get a full workout in. We'll see.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever be a morning person, but I set an alarm a half hour before I want to get up - it kind of puts my brain on notice that I have to get up soon. When my second alarm goes off, I'm not trying to come out of a deep sleep. That helps me a lot.

Like other posters, I am able to function in the morning, but I am always at my best late at night.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Never have, never will. Night owl for life.

amen!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person at all but I get up everyday excluding Saturdays at 5:30-ish. It's more of a have-to thing because kids need to be fed and gotten to school. I just get over that lingering "want to go back to bed" feeling almost every morning.

I'm more of a night owl.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    the only way I have become a morning person is by going to bed early - at the moment that works for me as it is only me and my son but if I had a social life that wouldn't work - not sure what else to suggest
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, but much of my life requires me to be up early.. I work 12 hour midnight shifts, and I am by nature a night owl. Left to my own devices, I'll stay up till 3 or 4 am then sleep till noon... not ideal with two kids who need to get to school five days a week.. so here's how I do it. The last midnight that I work in my stretch (4 in a row) I only nap a couple of hours that morning after work, and then by 8 pm I"m whipped, ready to go to bed. Now, if I just go to bed, I'll be wide awake again in 3 hours and up all night because that's what my body likes. And these days that just won't cut it. So I take 3 mg of Melatonin. 20 minutes later, WHAM! I'm knocked out cold for hours, and able to get up at 5:30 am like the rest of the world. I have to take the melatonin most nights even if I've been up since 5:30 am, because my brain only really comes alive after dark, so it needs a little help changing its mind. It works wonders for me.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I still am not. It's a struggle to get up every day at 4:45 am to get at least 45 min of work out in, get the kid ready for school and be at work by 8 am. : )
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I joined a special program that helped people realize their early morning potential. The Marine Corps.

Have rarely slept in since.

Lol, that's my boyfriend. 7:30am is "sleeping in" to him. He just CANNOT do it.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me is taking a sleeping pill at about 7pm and it will usually put me down by 10pm... then I can get up in the morning.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've been a night owl as long as I can remember, but recently, I've been making a concerted effort to get to bed, and wake up earlier.

The going to bed earlier thing came about because my boyfriend snores. If I'm not asleep before he comes upstairs, it keeps me awake. I started going to bed 30/45 minutes before him, laying in bed an doing a crossword to let my brain purge the constant electronic stimulation most of us have in our day. Waking up earlier came naturally with it. I's really learning to enjoy the peace & quiet of early mornings! Also helpful with mornings is that we live across the street from a lake, and if the sun is out, my bedroom is lit up like the Vegas strip by 7am at the latest...