Half Marathon runners....

Options

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half on June 2-advise.....don't worry about your time, just complete it-then you can work on beating that time and set some kind of goal for yourself for the next one.
  • kelrun
    kelrun Posts: 12
    Options
    My first was 2:42 with a goal of 2:45. I didn't train properly and just winged it. I am running the same one this year and feel positive I will do MUCH better. Good luck!!! Sounds like you are an a GREAT track!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    ah yes..Ive had black toenails since I started long runs of 8 miles...its a beautiful thing...a thing to be proud of ..kinda like those mommy stretch marks..you earned them :)

Eep. You might want to go up a size in shoes. Black toenails are usually a result of having too small shoes...my running shoes for anything over 10 miles are 2 sizes bigger than my usual shoe size.

THIS

I have never had a black toenail. I have beeen running for about 10 years now and regularly log over 200 miles a month. Not 1 toenail lost!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My time was 2:05 and there were 3 miles straight uphill <ugh just evilness>. I was told that 2:05 was kinda fast for a first timer though (not sure.. guess this thread will tell!!) and that 2:30 is a good solid first time. I wouldnt worry too much about the time for the 1st one, aim to finish with a smile and knowing you accomplished something great. The first race is ALWAYS a personal record! It will be the best time you ever completed a half marathon... until the next time :-) I hope to get my time eventually under 2 hours but distance was most important in my initial training, now that I've done the half I hope to focus on speed training. I signed up only 3 weeks before the half but was training for a 10 miler that occurs in May so for 3 weeks focused on distance and those unfriendly hills!
    Good luck!!! :-)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    and also yes, pace yourself!!! don't jump out of the gate.. you will be able to kinda gage towards the middle when and where to pick up the speed. I ran with 2 friends and they jumped out of the gate as I held back, around mile 3 i caught up with them so a steady pace can really help in the long run! :-)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I've toyed with doing another one at some point but the training killed me. I hated being forced to run on certain days and to be honest I began to loathe running because of it :( When it was done I was happy to get back to my own schedule.

^^I am experiencing this RIGHT NOW. I don't think I'll ever sign up for another long race, ever again. The training has sucked the very joy out of running for me.

You know, I've found that when I don't follow schedules for my longer race training, I enjoy it a lot more. I do my long runs when I feel up to it, so I never have a run that I have to "slog" through.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon was last August and I ran it in 2:02:50, my second was in October which I ran in 2:01:51. I have one on May 6th and I'm really hoping to go under 2 hours!!

You will run faster than your usual pace! It's just part of the race atmosphere. Keep yourself healthy!! Don't forget to stretch and rest these last few weeks of training. You will be fine and I think surprise yourself!! Try running faster on your short run days (tempo runs) and some hills, (if you aren't) this will help your speed and endurance for the race!!!!

Good Luck!!!

So exciting! :happy:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    First half was 1:57. PR is now 1:28:48 (downhill course). I seem to be stuck in the 1:37 zone these days.

Here's my Half Fanatics page if anyone cares:

http://www.marathonmaniacsdb.com/halffanatics/HFMyRaces.asp?hf=24
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I had a cycling injury before my first half that cut my training short by about 4 weeks. My longest run was only 10 miles but I was able to complete my 1/2 Marathon in 2:00:59.

Since then I've completed a few more and my new PR is 1:53:43, hoping to get under 1:50:00 for my next.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    my goal for my 1st half was to finish in under 3hrs- i ran the whole way- didn't stop for anything! i finished that very flat course in 2hrs 44mins.
    i'm now up to my 5th half, and finished that very hilly bugger in 2hrs 36mins.

the only thing i really care about is beating my own time and just doing it!

don't worry about the times- just finish it. then you can think of times to beat on your next half!
  • kmaas802
    kmaas802 Posts: 19
    Options
    I finished my first half in 2:14:04 and my second in 2:16:06. It was miserably hot and humid for my second which made me lose time. I'm running my third in June and my goal is to get under 2:10.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Good Question! I'm trying to work up enough courage to enter one in May. My longest run thus far has been 8.6 miles and I did that in 1:21....I definitely dont want to come in last place...hahahah

Feel free to add me as a pal...so we can support each other!
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I finished my first in 2:10:11, but times are very much an individual thing. Finishing your first one is all that is important. That is enough of a victory right there. Then you can strive to do better in the next one, but please don't compare your expectations to anyone elses.

So true, so true. As long as you finish before the course closes, you're golden :)

My first one was 2:09 waaay back when.

Have a great race!
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    2:33:40, just last month! And that includes me having to stop to use the bathroom, so that could've been under 2:30, I am sure!

my next goal is 2:15.. I think I can make it, my mile times are improving.. i am running another half in september!

as for black toenails, never got one, i have great shoes. my sister got a ton of them training for her first half and then she realized her shoes were too small, got new ones and ran a full with no black toenails!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    First 2:10:10 June 2011 - March 1, 2012 2:00:46 and last weekend 2:01:09. I trained for distance first - then speed. I'm now back training for a marathon and again - training for distance.

The book - Run Less, Run Faster - has tables that show you IF you run a 5K, 10K, Half or whatever at a certain time - what the projected completed would be for distance.

I'd say - if it's your first - have fun, set a Finish goal - and don't stress about the time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My 1st was 1:56, this weekend(2 yrs later) i ran a 1:39
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My first half was in 2010, when I was 44. I completed it in 1:46:54. I had only started running a year earlier. Good luck at your first race, trust your training and you'll be awesome !
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 1/2 Marathon last Sept in 2:08:48...

Prior to that, my 10mile time was 1:44:09, so it was a great improvement.

This past year I knocked 11 minutes off my 10mile time and finished the exact same 10mile race at 1:33:10.
    Ran a 30K (18.6mi) in 2:59:41...

My next (2nd) Half Marathon in at the end of April. I'll keep you posted on how much I improve on my time! :bigsmile:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned this somewhere in this post, but if your race has 'pacers' use them, they are a lifesaver!
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow. Y'all are speedy. I mostly walked my first half, and finished in 4 hours something. That was seriously embarrassing to me, but I wasn't the last half marathoner to finish. My most recent half was done in 2:41 (October 2011). My goal each year is to improve the time I set before. That's why I love running....since I know I'm not going to finish in the money, I just compete with myself.

Best of Luck!