Half Marathon runners....

Options

Replies

• mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the answers! I think I'm just going to go with what most of you are saying and working on just finishing this one and the next one I'll work on improving my own time. That's what I love about running, there's always something you can work on to improve!
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I finished my first half in 2:35 :happy:
  • partonsara
    partonsara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half at the end of the month. Which half are you running?
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My first half my goal was to finish without walking. Just my goal. When I walk I lose focus, that's just for me. I'll echo what others said and have finishing be your goal. Finishing is an accomplishment, time really shouldn't be your concern the first time around.

I did my first half at 2:13. Due to an injury I kept it slow and never was able to train over 8 miles. I have one on 4/15 & I'm hoping to do it sub 2. No injuries, and I just did a 5 mile in 41 minutes last night. Woot!

Good luck!!!!
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    2:31 last September but tracking for a 2:20 in May.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon in 2009 (when I weighed over 200 lbs) was 3:28:something. I have since dropped 40 lbs and began run/walking and am now consistently running my half marathons at 3:00 or under. My best time is 2:58:39. My next half is in July and my goal is to be under 2:55.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I had completed 12 miles in 2:10 two weeks ago almost now, but strained something and haven't been able to run longer then 20 minutes now without serious pain. Hoping to get back on track and be able to do the Half i am signed up for May 6th in vancouver! Yikes but you seem on track, but this is a first for me too! Loving all the answers and advice!
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My very first half marathon I was 3:46:04 in 2007

I recently did one in March and was able to get it done in under 3 hrs....

I'm slowly taking steps on trying to be a little bit faster
  • thom10034
    thom10034 Posts: 11
    Options
    2:40 was my first one. I never ran over 9 miles in training and didn't stick to training very well. I would def recommend consistency in your running and sticking to your training plan the best you can.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My first, and only, half was as a 3 person relay. I did the last 6 miles, up hill. We finished at 2:05. My 6 miles averaged 7:30 miles, so my other two relay-ers, also in their first halfs, averaged ~11:30-12:00 miles.
    Never done an open half, maybe someday, but I'm happy with 5k's
  • kentmanion
    kentmanion Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in October in 2:13:20... I ran my first marathon in March and that was a completely different beast!!! I am excited to be running my next half on April 15th!! Feeling like it should go well after all my marathon training! My best advice is to have fun! Don't take it to serious, enjoy the day and the accomplishment. I had a goal time in my marathon and cramped the last 6 miles and didn't hit it. I was extremely frustrated until i realized, hey, I just ran 26.2 miles and finished! If you do your best and have fun, then the time is just a time! That's just my 2 cents! Good luck!
  • alexismorley
    Options
    I've run two half marathons, the first time I did it in 2.20, and and the second in 2.25. I trained more for the second one but had much more fun during the first one. Fear and the unknown were great motivating factors to get me around, and I came out of it feeling great (but with tired muscles). The second time I didn't enjoy as much. So my advice would be to just focus on getting around and not worry about time and you'll have a great time (and will also be able to chat to people on your way around!). GOOD LUCK :)
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I'm slowly planning for one.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Nice input, I'll try to remember that.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My first was 2:05. So as you can see, you are going to get a very wide variety of answers on this.The important thing is that you strive to do it in the time that is right for you and that you tailor your goals around that. Your race results will probably be broken down into gender and age categories, so that may help you set your goals for your next one.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    What was your finish time on your first half? I'm running my first in about 4-5 weeks and I was wondering if I'm headed in the right direction. I ran a 9 mile today in 1:51.
    I'm also coming off of a back injury that was about 3.5 months ago from a car accident.
    If you keep approximately the same pace (1:51 / 9 miles = 12:20 min/mile), you should expect to finish a half marathon in under 3 hours. I finished my first in 2:42:42 this past January running at just over a 12 minute mile.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Bump! My First half is this June!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Mine was 2:30 in 2011. Hoping for same or better for upcoming half on June 16, 2012. Good luck!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My only half was last November, 1:57...I was shooting for 2:15-2:30, so I was pretty pumped about finishing in under 2 hours!