Foods that got tossed- when you got SERIOUS!!

Options

Replies

• Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals like Lean Cuisne, SmartOnes, Healthy Choice, etc. And I don't miss them!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    hamburger helper
    frozen/box lunches
    I try to stay away from processed/boxed food.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    All,
    What are some of the foods that you tossed when you got really serious about getting a healthy diet?
    here's a few that I loved and thought were helping me, but now they're outta here:

Trader Joe's 100 cal oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
    100 cal cheez-it snack bags
    90 cal fudge brownies
    90 cal rice krispy treats
    subway sandwiches
    TJ's greek pomegranate yogurt
    white rice
    popcorn

some of these might be okay- but I found they don't work for me when I'm trying to show some decreases on the scale

For me it was the following:

Chocolate, sweets, cakes, biscuits, chips and burgers and I haven't had a pizza for months either.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    if i'd lived alone i would have tossed much more..... so i really tried hard to ignore what was and still is there!
    QFT. It's not easy when the rest of the household eats crap :(

This is why I dragged my husband kicking and screaming along with me! :)

He's dropped two belt loops in 2 months BTW, noticeably less kicking and screaming now...
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Fast food, instant oatmeal, processed meats, OJ, Honey nut cheerios, biscuits w/ sausage gravy *YUMMY*, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, cake
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Foods that got literally tossed (or sent to my grandma's because I hate wasting food)

- white sugar
    - white flour tortillas
    - frozen tortellini in the freezer
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Like BobbieLee1959, I have given up:

Soda
    Chips
    Candy
    and MOST Baked sweets (Girl scout cookie time is really testing me!)
    White Bread
    White Rice
    Coffee

What I'm working on getting rid of:

Fast food
    Alcohol
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    peanutbutter, mayo, ketchup, white rice, most red meat ... ugh i need to get back to that
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't giving up anything but sugar in my coffee I switched to Splenda, other then that I eat everything in moderation. Like last week I wanted a banana Royale form Basin Robbins I worked out burned about 1500 calories that day and got my banana Royale! LOL

You'd be better off w/ real sugar.
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, I haven't "given up" anything. I do try not to purchase a lot of processed/prepackaged foods, but sometimes you can't avoid it. I find that if I deny myself something, I just want it that much more. That being said, I try hard to cook healthier versions of things I already eat. I am also trying new foods and learning to love things I used to hate (fish!). My main thing is portion control. I still eat out, and I have bad days. I just do it all in moderation, and I find it really helps if I use MFP to plan out my days.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    I don't bring it into the house but eating out is always still hard to avoid. But if I do go out with the hubby or a girls night I'll try and get the healthiest thing on the menu.

as for what I'm currently trying to avoid...
    - coke, my biggest addiction.. no seriously lol
    - pizza
    - pasta - i love carbs! so avoiding pasta is hard
    - basmati rice - being indian, the thick savoury curries with rice are hard to resist but they don't look good on my thighs

that's all I am trying to avoid really. I'm just adding more veggies and fruits to my diet and cutting out the
    bad snack foods.
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Fried foods.
    Fast food cheeseburgers
    100 calorie bags of ANYTHING
    Chips...:( hardest one, for me
    Chocolate bars. Still have chocolate, just not Snickers or Reese's
    Ice cream. It's all about fro yo now.
    Diet Coke. A serious addiction.
    Some pre-packaged foods. I'm making the transition from buying Homestyle Bakes and Hamburger Helper to making my own.

There are a lot of things I won't give up. I still eat junk foods. I still eat fast food. I still eat frozen dinners (on occasion). I still eat what I like. Just things that I know are better in moderation.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't giving up anything but sugar in my coffee I switched to Splenda, other then that I eat everything in moderation. Like last week I wanted a banana Royale form Basin Robbins I worked out burned about 1500 calories that day and got my banana Royale! LOL

I very much agree with this one, I eat anything l want but l do burn the calories so that l can eat it..
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    All,
    What are some of the foods that you tossed when you got really serious about getting a healthy diet?
    here's a few that I loved and thought were helping me, but now they're outta here:

Trader Joe's 100 cal oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
    100 cal cheez-it snack bags
    90 cal fudge brownies
    90 cal rice krispy treats
    subway sandwiches
    TJ's greek pomegranate yogurt
    white rice
    popcorn

some of these might be okay- but I found they don't work for me when I'm trying to show some decreases on the scale

I'm curious why you tossed some of these? I agree with the 100 cal snacks...the quantity is almost never satisfying. Although the 90 calorie fiber one brownies are fantastic for a couple of reasons...

I eat subway all the time. If I need a fast dinner that is under 400 or 500 calories its almost always subway. I don't know what TJ's is but I eat the pomegranate chobani almost daily....

White rice makes sense...Popcorn is incredibly low as far as calories go for a good sized snack.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals like Lean Cuisne, SmartOnes, Healthy Choice, etc. And I don't miss them!
    This.^ And Dairy.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I haven't given up anything...I just moderate and budget for them.
  • missfayefaye
    Options
    I think its mostly about moderation. However I've completely stopped eating these items and feel much much better:

Cereal - basically anything boxed. There's too much sugar and little protein. I am always hungry if I eat cereal for breakfast, even the "healthy" kind
    Cow's Milk- I now use Almond Milk
    Frozen meals- Lean cuisine, Healthy choice...etc. They are now too salty for me.
    Processed Bread/canned biscuits
    Soda
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    processed foods, soda...really need to toss the bread, but sooo hard to kick. probably will never be able to go without my chocolate either.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oreo Cookies
    Ice Cream
    Cake
    Fried Foods...NEVER!!!!!!!!! But I do eat it small quantities every other week.