Does it help having friends on here?

Options
vickijay
vickijay Posts: 49 Member
As title really!!

I have been using MFP for the last few weeks and have lost 13lbs and now I have stumbled across the forum and see people talking about having friends on here. What's the benefits?!!! Is it like FB?! Will it make me thinner?! Lol.

How do you do it?!

Im not really sure how I'm doing this!!!

Vicki :)

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Go over to their profile (search if you know their user name or click on their username on a post), then click request friend (I think). I'm going to add you to verify! LOL!

Ok, click add as friend. Then type a fun message, then click "add as friend" (green button). And off goes your friend request! Incoming friend requests come in, and you get a nice alert message in your home screen.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It has helped me a lot! Like you, I was using MFP for several weeks before I took part in the forums. It's really nice to have support from people who have similar goals. For me, it keeps me accountable. Maybe this is silly, but I want to make my MFP friends proud, so logging my food and exercise and getting comments from my friends makes me feel even better about making healthy choices. :wink:
  • vickijay
    Options
    So I have 2 friends already now! Do I see what your eating and exercising and vice versa? Oh no I've been really unhealthy today if that's the case!!!! I see you can comment like on Facebook.

Do you just add anyone?! I wouldn't want people to think im a stalker!!
  • vickijay
    Options
    Wow it's just like healthy Facebook and even on my phone!! I want to be friends (well virtual ones I guess!!) with anyone who doesn't mind. I think it might help (and I need it!!) :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's great support to have friends. I'm pretty active on the wall, so you'll be hearing from me!

New friends are great! I love getting the fresh infusion of enthusiasm that comes with them!
  • jcdellop
    jcdellop Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP too and I've made a few friends - I'm amazed at how much it helps. Please feel free to add me :bigsmile:
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It helps keep me accountable for logging and is just a bunch of fun somedays!!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I was also surprised at how helpful it is having friends to cheer you on, it's made my whole outlook on this weightloss / getting healthy thing totally different if I'm honest! There is so much support in this place, and having friends to cheer on - and cheering you on - makes logging in and being accountable for all the good, and bad, things that you do so much more fun.

Not to mention the invaluable insights from some of their blogs - one of my friends, BerryH, has written an amazing "tips for beginner runners" blog that will stick with me, and keep me going throughout my journey of becomming a runner.

Can't recommend the friends thing enough really!
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi! I'm quite new here on MFP. I don't want to lose so much weight as many of you. 11 pounds for me would be more than OK. I just would like to be a little bit more tonic. Really I don't like my fluffy tummy.
    I hope that having some friends here will help me to stick with my exercises. I admit it: I'm lazy! :embarassed:

Please everybody, feel free to add me :smile:
  • Hynes13
    Hynes13 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep, as everyone else has said.....friends help you to feel accountable for you eating and exercising, pick you up on a bad day, give you tips and ideas etc. Anyone feel free to add me and I'll try to help where I can :)
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I only have one friend on here, but when I added her, and she started giving me feedback, I definitely felt more accountable! I just started a week or so ago, so if anyone wants to add me, please do! We can keep each other going!
  • vickijay
    Options
    Well I have a few friends now and added the people on here!

Can everyone see what I'm doing, eating etc? How much I weigh?

Vicki
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yes friends do help. You can share with them good things that come with weight loss that you might not share with people in your daily life. And it does hold you accountable. Plus I like to see how people here are doing with their progress and give them encouragement and recieve the same from them.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    People can see your diary if you let them (you can change on your settings) and people can see your tracker on your profile and see how well you are doing. I think having friends is one of the best ways to make MFP successful for you. The motivation and support everyone provides is really great and also helps to keep you more accountable. Feel free to add me :)
  • vickijay
    Options
    Ok I was brave and set it so my friends could see my diary (even though I have been very unhealthy today!!) Hopefully they wont read it!!!! I even put a picture on here, that must be some sort of weight loss commitment!!!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It is support. If I'm not feeling motivated, what my friends are doing gives me the incentive to not give up.
  • mpnaegle
    mpnaegle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started this last week, and this is my first check-in. Hi everyone.

Mark
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It is nice to have friends here and a support network. It is nice to be able to brag or to just feel that people are sharing in your success - or to lean on others when you are struggling. This is a great site with wonderful people.
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    you lose 1 extra lb a week for every 10 friends you have
    this has been proven add me 8)
  • vickijay
    Options
    you lose 1 extra lb a week for every 10 friends you have
    this has been scietifically been proven

Lolllll I better get adding :)