Couch to 5k?

Options
Who else is doing this? How are you doing with it? Does it work? I'm going to do day 3 tomorrow.. Hopefully I do better on day 3 than I did on day 2. Couldn't keep my breath for the last 2 intervals do had to walk em. Should I do the day over if I can't keep up with the whole workout? I like the idea of it, I just wonder if I can do it!!

Replies

• hfunkj
    hfunkj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6, and never thought I would get that far! I went from not being able to keep my breath, to running 20 min and not getting winded at all. It's all in the breathing. I have found the rhythm of breathing that works for me is breathing in through my nose/breathing out of my mouth for 2-3 breaths, then one deep breath through my mouth. It took me a couple weeks of really concentrating on my breathing, but now I can do it without thinking. Good luck!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    just slow down, and if you find that, at the end of the week, you still can't run all intervals (again: slowly), consider repeating the day - or even the week.
    i did c25k for the first 4 weeks, then changed my goal to 10k, which changed the training plan a little, but it definitely works, as long as you stick with it.
    a few pointers that helped me out a lot:
    don't try and run more than once every other day, or 3-4 times a week. usually extra days needed to rest, make it pointless anyways and increases your chances of an injury.
    it isn't a race, so take your time.
    running outside, in a park or on a trail is usually more fun than a treadmill or sidewalk.
    try counting steps for breathing 2 steps in, 2 steps out works for me, others do 3 or 4. it helps me focus, get enough air, pace myself, and i've yet to get a stitch in my side...
    i tried a kind of halfway low carb diet, didn't go well with running. also, make sure you drink enough water.
    properly fitted shoes etc.. i'm sure you've read it all before...

good luck and have fun
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    just slow down, and if you find that, at the end of the week, you still can't run all intervals (again: slowly), consider repeating the day - or even the week.
    i did c25k for the first 4 weeks, then changed my goal to 10k, which changed the training plan a little, but it definitely works, as long as you stick with it.
    don't try and run more than once every other day, or 3-4 times a week. usually extra days needed to rest, make it pointless anyways and increases your chances of an injury.
    running outside, in a park or on a trail is usually more fun than a treadmill or sidewalk.
    try counting steps for breathing 2 steps in, 2 steps out works for me, others do 3 or 4. it helps me focus, get enough air, pace myself, and i've yet to get a stitch in my side...
    i tried a kind of halfway low carb diet, didn't go well with running. also, make sure you drink enough water.

good luck and have fun
    actually I haven't tried running/ jogging since high school ..12 years ago or so lol. So no i really havent heard it all before lol. Thank you for this I haven't thought about pacing my breathing. I did get good shoes for the first time ever. Got asics. I don't particularly do low carb I don't think, I do high protein which might be low carb. I'll have to review my diary and check it out. Thanks again!
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm on week 6, and never thought I would get that far! I went from not being able to keep my breath, to running 20 min and not getting winded at all. It's all in the breathing. I have found the rhythm of breathing that works for me is breathing in through my nose/breathing out of my mouth for 2-3 breaths, then one deep breath through my mouth. It took me a couple weeks of really concentrating on my breathing, but now I can do it without thinking. Good luck!
    Thank you for tips on breathing! I'll certainly try this :) funny that I hadn't thought to do this :)
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Love the program! I did it last summer and now I am training for my first 1/2 and full marathon! Good luck!!
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i statred doing it last year and it was working great until i had an unrelated injury that sidelined me. planning on getting back on it again.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I should be doing week 3 day 3 tomorrow.
    Jog SLOW. It's not a race....yet.
    The program conditions your body and running habits.
    Later you can work on speed. Some people complete C25K and then restart with speed as the focus.
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im up to W6 D3 tomorrow! I cannot believe how easy this program makes running. Never in a million years did I think I'd be able to run 25 minutes straight ---- but now I can!
    Give it a go - enjoy it :)
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options

good luck and have fun

Thanks for this!

I just started today and I'm a little apprehensive and nervous that I might be setting myself up for failure (setting goals too high) but I'm determined to do it, even if I have to repeat a week! The breathing is what's always difficult when I run... I suffer from nasal allergies and breathing in through my nose is usually painful or impossible lol! I will try the rhythmic breathing and see if that helps. I do find the podcasts help, I've downloaded one version of all 9 weeks and so far I am finding them useful!

Good luck to all who are doing this!! :flowerforyou:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Im up to W6 D3 tomorrow! I cannot believe how easy this program makes running. Never in a million years did I think I'd be able to run 25 minutes straight ---- but now I can!
    Give it a go - enjoy it :)

lol when i started, i actually wondered why we didn't do this in high school.. 80% of my class could have used it...
  • lilbitsc89
    lilbitsc89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was doing c25k and yesterday finished day 1 of week 4. I've enjoyed it and can tell a differene. (ive never been a runner) But unfortunately I have an ankle injury so I am going to take some time off of running to see if it goes away. Once it feels better I plan on picking it back up :)
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am on week 5 day 2. I re did day 2 today because I am not sure I am ready to go from 8 minutes of running to 20. I love it so far!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I am also on week 1. I like the program a lot too.
  • Heathert24
    Heathert24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who have posted on this! I started yesterday and am so excited about it. I haven't run in YEARS, but I know there is a runner somewhere in me! Good luck to everyone trying it!
  • angel473
    angel473 Posts: 2
    Options
    I did this last year and when I was getting closer to the end I kept saying "there is no way I will be able to keep running without stopping." A good friend gave me the best advice "Just keep going, you will break through your wall." I did just that and I have been running without stopping ever since.

"Unless you faint, puke, or die, just keep going"- Jillian Michaels
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I walk to a local park to do C25K. That gives me a 20 minute warm up and a 20 minute cool down.
    Makes for a good calorie burn and a little extra cardio conditioning.
  • hcw8161
    hcw8161 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm using an app called ease into 5k. I just finished week 3 day 3. the app helps out a lot because you can listen to your music to help keep pace and the app with give you alerts when to run, walk, half way done, and last run.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to do week 5 day 2 tomorrow! I've really enjoyed it so far!
  • g_jelly
    g_jelly Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just want to reiterate to start slow. So slow it's almost walking!
    I hadn't run consistently since high school and when I started c25k I ran at the pace i used to run and felt natural, but found it really hard. It wasn't until i used a heart rate monitor that i realised I was running far too fast. Now I'm getting used to running slower and making great progress, starting week 5. If you do find one run too hard don't move on take it at your own pace.
    Great running music helps too.
  • AmandaAmberSaitis
    AmandaAmberSaitis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow your such a great insperation to me. I wish I had someone like you in my life to motivate me I am 500 lbs and never leave the sofa.