Asparagus?

Options

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Beware the "asparagus pee" the next day. :)

He's not kidding...it really does make your pee smell funny!

Next day, it's like the next hour for me..... :) It's also genetic, not everyone has that issue (read that in some random fact book I think).
  • bstoetzer
    bstoetzer Posts: 96
    Options
    I like to toss asparagus in a little olive oil and saute in a pan with some minced garlic and hit it with a little lemon juice at the end. Also, wrap some aluminium foil around the asparagus with some minced garlic and olive oil and put on the grill for 5-10 minutes. Yummy!

^^THIS^^
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    On the grill is the absolute best, little olive oil and sea salt (or kosher). Mmmmmm, seems to cook faster and have a much better texture when cooked that way (in my opinion).
  • xshesinpartiesx
    Options
    For breakfast for my boy and I this morning, I steamed asparagus, wrapped it with sliced ham, flavored cream cheese, and bread stick dough and baked them. It's not too terribly bad on calories, and it's got protein and fiber!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Next day, it's like the next hour for me..... :) It's also genetic, not everyone has that issue (read that in some random fact book I think).

For me, is starts within 2-3 hours and continues for 24-48.
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/asparagus-odor/

Some people can't smell asparagus pee

this blew my mind
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I like to put a bit of olive oil in a ziploc baggie with some salt and pepper then add the asparagus. I roll it all around so it gets coated, then bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 10-15 minutes! Delicious! :)
    ^^^ This! It's super-yummy. Go easy on the salt if you're sensitive to sodium.

:smile:
  • reden324
    reden324 Posts: 33
    Options
    I cook my asparagus with slices of red peppers and marinate them in 1tbs balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp (or 1/2 tsp) of olive oil and then season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes at 400 degrees- it's delicious! I got the recipe from my biggest loser cookbook
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

The next day? I get asparagus pee with in the hour. I don't see how it is scientifically possible.

Not sure if I should follow that up with a delicious recipe, but I will: http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2011/05/meatless-mondays-with-martha-stewart.html

Made that a while ago and it was amazing.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I'm the same way- within the hour the pee starts to stink.... but I don't care. Love me some asparagus!!!
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • mfmillermfmiller
    Options
    I like to roast mine with olive oil and kosher salt but healthier is to steam them and dip them in mustard-dijon.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Just steam them but make sure you don't overcook them. There still needs to be a little resistence in the stem. They are tasty enough not to add anything to them.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A little EVOO, sea salt & pepper. Cook on the grill with the meat until tender. Absolutely yummy!
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I like to grill it with a drizzle of olive oil on it and then sprinkle some parmesean cheese over the top of it...TASTY!
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This time of year I eat asparagus nearly every day. I steam it and squeeze a little lemon over it.

If I have any left over I chill it and use it in a salad I concocted - (cold) Great Northern beans, tuna, asparagus, minced garlic and chopped tomato if you have it... with a little lemon juice or red wine vinegar.
  • fithealth4me
    fithealth4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I normally cook my in a little olive oil with a small sprinkle of salt. simmer them to perfection!
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use a little olive oil spray, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake on a cookie sheet for about 10 min at 400. Not only does it may your pee smell, we've come to calling it asparaGAS in my house. But it's just to yummy to resist!
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use a little olive oil spray, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake on a cookie sheet for about 10 min at 400. Not only does it may your pee smell, we've come to calling it asparaGAS in my house. But it's just to yummy to resist!

P.S. Don't forget to break the ends off. It should snap right where the "stringy" part starts.