"Dieting" with normal food

Options
I kind of feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend and I'm hoping there are others out there.

I'm tired of seeing all of the recipes and people suggesting fat free and sugar free this and that (and by sugar free I mean they add the fake sugars). I was watching the Biggest Loser a couple of weeks ago and they had a cooking challenge and the guy got in trouble for using a tablespoon of real mayo. Seriously???

When did eating get so complicated? I read somewhere (I can't remember where and have no source) that when they take fat out of something like mayo or ranch dressing they add SUGAR to make it taste better (add it still tastes awful in my opinion). And I don't even want to know how they take the fat out, because oil is a main ingredient in both of those... Over processed much?

Eating fat does not make you fat. Actually, it makes you feel full and can help you eat less in moderation. I'm not suggesting you eat a stick of butter for lunch here. I'm also not suggesting things like fried foods or McDonalds. I'm talking about ingredients that go into home cooked meals.

I'm not going to go into the fake sugar. It's like talking about politics or religion every time I bring it up around someone who won't let go of their Diet Coke. So I'll just say I don't use it.

I don't eat anything that is supposed to have fat in it and has fat free on the label. That's right. I eat actual butter. Fully loaded sour cream. I drink whole milk. I use oil and eat cheese. I just don't eat a ton of it. A tablespoon of sour cream has 30 calories (yes! The kind that actually tastes good)

Your body needs fat to operate properly. There are fat soluble vitamins that need fat to dissolve. So let go of all of the marketed diet bs and eat actual food. It is totally possible to stay within your calorie goals. Your taste buds will thank you and you won't feel deprived like I always do when I try fat free sour cream (ICK!)

*braces for attacks on all fronts*

Replies

• mrsmangomum
    Options
    I also meant to mention the fact that Taco Bell uses light sour cream. Really???
  • skylarlburke
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I have lost four pounds and I eat completely regular food. I find that when I eat diet food I'm left feeling more hungry. Then I end up eating more calories and fat than I would have had to had I just eaten a normal meal. The only changes I have made are exercising more, and cutting out empty calories such as soda. I find that you're much more likely to stick with dieting if you don't try to make drastic changes right off the bat.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't go in for 'diet' foods at all. Artificial sweeteners give me headaches, and I don't like eating things with ingredients I a) don't know what are and b) can't pronounce. It's not all that hard to stay in my calories eating the same food as my family.

But, to each their own! Just because I have certain preferences and expectations doesn't mean I expect everyone else to agree.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ohh....thank you for posting this! I would rather be in the red for fats than have a bunch of "fake" stuff!! (I make an exception for my coffee creamer....which I am addicted too.....but I am trying to find a delicious alternative!).

It's all about moderation :) But everyone has a right to do this their own way, of course.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Moderation is so important when trying to lose weight and maintain weight loss. I went out to dinner with my family the other night and ordered crab cakes with broccoli and sweet potato fries. I ate one crab cake, all the broccoli, and a few fries. My sister, who has never worked out a day in her life, and who starves herself when she wants to lose weight ate a filet, two crab cakes, and my son's grilled cheese that he did not want. She was like "I can't believe you'r not eating both of your crab cakes!". I just said "Everything in moderation" and left it at that. I, too, used to have the attitude that if I'm gonna eat something bad, I may as well go crazy and eat everything in sight. My sister is older than I am, has had no children, but her body looks horrible because she has gone the last 20 years of her life fluctuating in weight between 170lbs and 120lbs. While she does not look fat with clothes on, she has a lot of loose skin and stretch marks and it is really sad to me. I wish I could instruct her on how to eat right and workout, but she has no interest. I eat just about whatever I want, I just eat a moderate amount.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I have lost four pounds and I eat completely regular food. I find that when I eat diet food I'm left feeling more hungry. Then I end up eating more calories and fat than I would have had to had I just eaten a normal meal. The only changes I have made are exercising more, and cutting out empty calories such as soda. I find that you're much more likely to stick with dieting if you don't try to make drastic changes right off the bat.

Nice job on the weight loss! I'm doing the same. I cut out soda and sweets, I require at least one fruit or vegetable to every meal, exercise and stay right around my calorie goal. Working for me so far!
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I agree 100%.

The low-fat theory is completly flawed, in fact.

Here are some myths that companies, regulatory agencies AND average people (especially in the US) are still conveying:

1) Dietary cholesterol (like in egg yolks) can raise your blood cholesterol
    2) Saturated fats are bad for you
    3) Vegetable oils (the ones you find on supermaket shelves (canola, cottonseed, corn, soya) are healthy

Just to name a few.

If you want to learn more about the above myths (WARNING : shameless plug), you can check out a report I put together titled "Eat Fat, Burn Fat":

http://www.thefatlossanswer.com/weight-loss-blog/free-report-day6g/

Oh man the cholesterol egg thing drives me nuts! And I'll totally check that out!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love this and its so true. I stopped buying lite this and low fat stuff a while ago. I started MFP and I still eat bacon, steak, etc. I do however switch out some bad nutritional zeroes (like Mayo) and use natural (real natural not marketed natural) substitutes like avacado, etc.

I try to keep 75% of my diet to foods that "remember where they came from". I have lost 8 lbs so far and don't feel restricted at all.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying to each their own. I didn't mean to sound like I was shaking my finger *tisk tisk* at anyone. You have to do what works for you. I just feel like people do that to me when I'm not eating the "diet" foods. I'm glad there are other people out there!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend and I'm hoping there are others out there.

I'm tired of seeing all of the recipes and people suggesting fat free and sugar free this and that (and by sugar free I mean they add the fake sugars). I was watching the Biggest Loser a couple of weeks ago and they had a cooking challenge and the guy got in trouble for using a tablespoon of real mayo. Seriously???

When did eating get so complicated? I read somewhere (I can't remember where and have no source) that when they take fat out of something like mayo or ranch dressing they add SUGAR to make it taste better (add it still tastes awful in my opinion). And I don't even want to know how they take the fat out, because oil is a main ingredient in both of those... Over processed much?

Eating fat does not make you fat. Actually, it makes you feel full and can help you eat less in moderation. I'm not suggesting you eat a stick of butter for lunch here. I'm also not suggesting things like fried foods or McDonalds. I'm talking about ingredients that go into home cooked meals.

I'm not going to go into the fake sugar. It's like talking about politics or religion every time I bring it up around someone who won't let go of their Diet Coke. So I'll just say I don't use it.

I don't eat anything that is supposed to have fat in it and has fat free on the label. That's right. I eat actual butter. Fully loaded sour cream. I drink whole milk. I use oil and eat cheese. I just don't eat a ton of it. A tablespoon of sour cream has 30 calories (yes! The kind that actually tastes good)

Your body needs fat to operate properly. There are fat soluble vitamins that need fat to dissolve. So let go of all of the marketed diet bs and eat actual food. It is totally possible to stay within your calorie goals. Your taste buds will thank you and you won't feel deprived like I always do when I try fat free sour cream (ICK!)

*braces for attacks on all fronts*

Hear hear! Great post! Thanks for saying the things I'm thinking :flowerforyou: It particularly irks me when people insist on low-fat or fat-free dairy, but then advocate the use of protein powders. Where do they think that whey protein is derived from? The dairy companies are laughing all the way to the bank, with profits from selling the blue-white water AND the expensive protein powder to the same person, again and again and again.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well I agree to this and I can see it drastically in my own weight loss.....when I had my little girl in Sept I immediately went on a "diet" low fat, no added sugar, lettuce and cucumber ect was all I ate I lost may 5lbs from october to dec. On 01st Janaury 2012, I did a total revamp after my MIL dropped from a 16 to a 8 just running and portion control; she stille ats chocolate, crisps, bread, sunday roast with all the trimmings....all the thigns she used to eat just thinking about the portion sizes. I have done this since January and I am 15 lbs down so I am totally in agreement.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I vary wether I eat full or half/non fat, some stuff I have is reduced some is full and some is non. I prefer the taste of semi skimmed milk if I drink it on it's own, but happy to use whole milk in tea. I sometimes use light mayo and sometimes use whole fat mayo, depends what's in stock when I buy and what I feel like.
  • EmmaR84
    EmmaR84 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere in the middle.
    I don't use many premade sauces when I'm cooking and generally make them from scratch, if I'm using natural fromage frais (for example) I will use the fat free version simply becasue I can't taste a difference and prefer not to "waste" the calories.
    Same with spreadable cheese triangles I will generally buy the extra light version, again I can't taste a difference.

I hate, with a vengence, full at coke. My mouth feels oily if I drink it so I choose the diet version, even so that is only one glass a couple of times a week.

If I'm frying/stir frying food I will normally use a low cal cooking spray instead of oil, again this is preference, I don't like the greasiness when using oil.

BUT
    there are some foods I hate the low fat verions of. Hard cheese is one if them, I can't stand reduced fat chedder, it just doesn't taste right and it doesn't melt!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We don't eat diet foods at our house either.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I have never bought low fat mayo or butter or anything else like that. I dont use artificial sweetener. I have a hubby and 2 kids who are healthy as horses and thin! I have semi converted them from cookies all the time to more fruits. I just measure and moderate! :) All the"diet" foods would go bad before they got completely used and we can not afford to be throwing away food. Especially on a 1 income budget! I make the "normal" foods work and buy a few extras for myself that only I would eat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%.

The low-fat theory is completly flawed, in fact.

Here are some myths that companies, regulatory agencies AND average people (especially in the US) are still conveying:

1) Dietary cholesterol (like in egg yolks) can raise your blood cholesterol
    2) Saturated fats are bad for you
    3) Vegetable oils (the ones you find on supermaket shelves (canola, cottonseed, corn, soya) are healthy

Just to name a few.

If you want to learn more about the above myths (WARNING : shameless plug), you can check out a report I put together titled "Eat Fat, Burn Fat":

http://www.thefatlossanswer.com/weight-loss-blog/free-report-day6g/

Looooots of nonsense at your link, it'd be nice if you're going to link to something it wasn't filled with garbage

See;

http://www.thefatlossanswer.com/weight-loss-blog/best-foods-to-eat-to-lose-weight/
    http://www.thefatlossanswer.com/weight-loss-blog/foods-that-burn-belly-fat/
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love hard cheese, has to be extra mature/vintage tho, and they generally are full fat, but I moderate how much and how often I eat it. Yoghurts are something I'm fussy with anyway, but have been eating fat free lately as I like the taste
  • skinnyjeansdiva
    Options
    I am with you here! You can eat non diet foods and eat regular foods and still be happy and healthy in moderation
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    How is low-fat butter even a thing? I thought butter *was* fat...

I am on board with the general consensus here: I like eating real food, don't touch artificial sweeteners, and bake with real butter. I'd rather enjoy a couple really good cookies and give the rest away than binge on some dried-out, low-cal substitute that bears no relation to what I was craving.
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    Amen, sister. I confess, I do eat some low-fat dairy products, but NO fat-free ones cause they taste like crap (except Greek yogurt). If you prepare homemade foods, you can use NORMAL ingredients and still lose weight if you exercise and eat in moderation.