"Dieting" with normal food

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is good reason to embrace dietary fat and cut back on the high carb foods.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-loss-time-to-stop-denying-the-science

Oh Grinch...:noway:
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I detest 'diet' food.

I've lost 54lbs and I eat proper food.

Low fat = full of artificial crap and/or extra sugars.

Look at the French...one of the lowest obesity rates and one of the highest diets in fat!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    after reading a lot of threads like this one, i'm really confused about what i should do. i pretty consistently consume about half, or less than half, of my allowance for fat. for example, what i have preemptively logged in my tracker for today comes to 15g of fat with the ability to eat 29g more. none of the foods on my tracker for today are "diet" foods. i've got oatmeal, lots of fruits and veggies, this spanish rice-thing i make for dinner, and i'm actually going to taco bell for lunch. i'm a vegan, so my diet doesn't/won't contain any cholesterol.
    sometimes i feel like i should eat more fat, because of all the people like OMG UR DOIN IT RONG EAT MORE FAT. but the days when i do eat more fat, it's because i got into the potato chips when i was visiting my mom, or went out to eat with friends and had french fries, or ate a lot of soy ice cream. in other words, i'm lost about how to get my fat into my diet without eating JUNK. :(
    avacados,nuts,hummus,chia seeds, natural peanut butter,dark chocolate..:)

^YUM! I eat most of this stuff on a daily basis :smile: Today I've had hummus, chia seeds, natural peanut butter AND dark chocolate, with a pretty good deficit if I do say so myself :smile:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    There is good reason to embrace dietary fat and cut back on the high carb foods.

Are the studies bad or you just don't like 'dietdoctor'?
  • Acg67
    Options

Some are fine, but to cherry pick 13 studies and say see low carb is superior, while ignoring the rest of the body of evidence that does not point in that direction, well...you get the idea

Even if you throw out all the tightly controlled calorie intake studies and just look at ad lib studies it's about 50/50 for greater weight loss/fat loss on low carb. Then if you were to include tightly controlled studies it clearly points to that it doesn't make a huge difference if any, with protein being a bigger factor then carbs.
  • grinch031
    Options

Some are fine, but to cherry pick 13 studies and say see low carb is superior, while ignoring the rest of the body of evidence that does not point in that direction, well...you get the idea

Even if you throw out all the tightly controlled calorie intake studies and just look at ad lib studies it's about 50/50 for greater weight loss/fat loss on low carb. Then if you were to include tightly controlled studies it clearly points to that it doesn't make a huge difference if any, with protein being a bigger factor then carbs.

Yeah but we also need to consider other health markers besides weight loss. And clearly high fat diets are not bad in this regards either.
  • Acg67
    Options

Yeah but we also need to consider other health markers besides weight loss. And clearly high fat diets are not bad in this regards either.

Health markers tend to improve just from the weight loss itself, regardless of diet composition. I'm not knocking high fat or high protein/low carb approaches, but I think for the majority of people it won't make a huge a difference either way. Figure out which is easier for you to adhere to and go with that
  • grinch031
    Options

Health markers tend to improve just from the weight loss itself, regardless of diet composition. I'm not knocking high fat or high protein/low carb approaches, but I think for the majority of people it won't make a huge a difference either way. Figure out which is easier for you to adhere to and go with that

Okay but what about improving leptin resistance?
    The other possibility is that leptin simply isn't reaching the hypothalamus. The brain is a unique organ. It's enclosed by the blood-brain barrier (BBB), which greatly restricts what can enter and leave it. Both insulin and leptin are actively transported across the BBB. It's been known for a decade that obesity in rodents is associated with a lower rate of leptin transport across the BBB (5, 6).

What causes a decrease in leptin transport across the BBB? Triglycerides are a major factor. These are circulating fats going from the liver and the digestive tract to other tissues. They're one of the blood lipid measurements the doctor makes when he draws your blood. Several studies in rodents have shown that high triglycerides cause a reduction in leptin transport across the BBB, and reducing triglycerides allows greater leptin transport and fat loss (7, 8). In support of this theory, the triglyceride-reducing drug gemfibrozil also causes weight loss in humans (9)**. Guess what else reduces triglycerides and causes weight loss? Low-carbohydrate diets, and avoiding sugar and refined carbohydrates in particular.

In the next post, I'll get more specific about what factors could be causing hypothalamic inflammation and/or reduced leptin transport across the BBB. I'll also discuss some ideas on how to reduce leptin resistance sustainably through diet and exercise.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=leptin+resistance
  • Acg67
    Options

The other possibility is that leptin simply isn't reaching the hypothalamus. The brain is a unique organ. It's enclosed by the blood-brain barrier (BBB), which greatly restricts what can enter and leave it. Both insulin and leptin are actively transported across the BBB. It's been known for a decade that obesity in rodents is associated with a lower rate of leptin transport across the BBB (5, 6).

What causes a decrease in leptin transport across the BBB? Triglycerides are a major factor. These are circulating fats going from the liver and the digestive tract to other tissues. They're one of the blood lipid measurements the doctor makes when he draws your blood. Several studies in rodents have shown that high triglycerides cause a reduction in leptin transport across the BBB, and reducing triglycerides allows greater leptin transport and fat loss (7, 8). In support of this theory, the triglyceride-reducing drug gemfibrozil also causes weight loss in humans (9)**. Guess what else reduces triglycerides and causes weight loss? Low-carbohydrate diets, and avoiding sugar and refined carbohydrates in particular.

In the next post, I'll get more specific about what factors could be causing hypothalamic inflammation and/or reduced leptin transport across the BBB. I'll also discuss some ideas on how to reduce leptin resistance sustainably through diet and exercise.

Again weight loss in general improves TG numbers, regardless of diet composition, however it is possible a lower carb approach could lead to a greater reduction.
  • grinch031
    Options

Again weight loss in general improves TG numbers, regardless of diet composition, however it is possible a lower carb approach could lead to a greater reduction.

And then Guyenet also thinks fructose may cause leptin resistance in humans as well. So it seems to me like it doesn't make much sense to go out of one's way to choose a dieting strategy that is known to 1) not be optimal in improving all health markers, and 2) is more likely to require calorie counting, whereas low-carb is shown to improve health markers and also to be successful because it naturally allows the dieter to reduce calories without counting.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I kind of feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend and I'm hoping there are others out there.

I'm tired of seeing all of the recipes and people suggesting fat free and sugar free this and that (and by sugar free I mean they add the fake sugars). I was watching the Biggest Loser a couple of weeks ago and they had a cooking challenge and the guy got in trouble for using a tablespoon of real mayo. Seriously???

When did eating get so complicated? I read somewhere (I can't remember where and have no source) that when they take fat out of something like mayo or ranch dressing they add SUGAR to make it taste better (add it still tastes awful in my opinion). And I don't even want to know how they take the fat out, because oil is a main ingredient in both of those... Over processed much?

Eating fat does not make you fat. Actually, it makes you feel full and can help you eat less in moderation. I'm not suggesting you eat a stick of butter for lunch here. I'm also not suggesting things like fried foods or McDonalds. I'm talking about ingredients that go into home cooked meals.

I'm not going to go into the fake sugar. It's like talking about politics or religion every time I bring it up around someone who won't let go of their Diet Coke. So I'll just say I don't use it.

I don't eat anything that is supposed to have fat in it and has fat free on the label. That's right. I eat actual butter. Fully loaded sour cream. I drink whole milk. I use oil and eat cheese. I just don't eat a ton of it. A tablespoon of sour cream has 30 calories (yes! The kind that actually tastes good)

Your body needs fat to operate properly. There are fat soluble vitamins that need fat to dissolve. So let go of all of the marketed diet bs and eat actual food. It is totally possible to stay within your calorie goals. Your taste buds will thank you and you won't feel deprived like I always do when I try fat free sour cream (ICK!)

*braces for attacks on all fronts*

The facts are that people are trying to lose weight including myself and this means a reduction in calories.

Why the hell I would want to eat mayo that is full fat when I could eat the light version and so have calories left for other stuff beats me.

Low fat food is actual food by the way, it can cut daily calories by half. I used to eat all the full fat stuff and that is why I am here, now trying to lose weight.

It is possible to stay within the calorie goals with full fat stuff, sure, but it is also high in calories and I for one would rather not do it that way.

Gotta do what works for you! I personally don't eat mayo unless it's in something like deviled eggs, and then there so little actual mayo in a single deviled egg the calorie difference is negligible.

However, I doubt that simply eating full fat mayo was the only factor to your weight gain, and switching to the light version has not been the only factor to your loss.

My post wasn't intended to say how I eat is the only right way. I'm simply used to people speaking to me the way you just did in regards to my eating habits and I felt like I was he only one who hates the way fat free food tastes and couldn't use it to make a lifestyle change. I pair my full fat foods with super low calorie fruits and veggies, lean protein and whole grains. I've found a way to make this work for me and I don't feel deprived.

Like I said, you've gotta do what works for you!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Since I don't really have a problem with fat in my diet, the only benefit I see to reduced-fat and fat-free foods is that they generally have less calories. Fat-free Miracle Whip has been a godsend. Other than that, if it tastes like crap, it's not worth the tradeoff.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at what they have to do to skim milk to make it look like milk so people will drink it? That's another Bad Idea.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Get in your essentials, exercise, get enough rest and stay within calorie limits and you can maintain your weight for years on in. Personally I've stayed within 10lbs-15lbs of my current weight (it's at the high end right now) for over 28 years eating practically anything I want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I eat whatever I want also.
  • silkribbonx
    silkribbonx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend and I'm hoping there are others out there.

I'm tired of seeing all of the recipes and people suggesting fat free and sugar free this and that (and by sugar free I mean they add the fake sugars). I was watching the Biggest Loser a couple of weeks ago and they had a cooking challenge and the guy got in trouble for using a tablespoon of real mayo. Seriously???

When did eating get so complicated? I read somewhere (I can't remember where and have no source) that when they take fat out of something like mayo or ranch dressing they add SUGAR to make it taste better (add it still tastes awful in my opinion). And I don't even want to know how they take the fat out, because oil is a main ingredient in both of those... Over processed much?

Eating fat does not make you fat. Actually, it makes you feel full and can help you eat less in moderation. I'm not suggesting you eat a stick of butter for lunch here. I'm also not suggesting things like fried foods or McDonalds. I'm talking about ingredients that go into home cooked meals.

I'm not going to go into the fake sugar. It's like talking about politics or religion every time I bring it up around someone who won't let go of their Diet Coke. So I'll just say I don't use it.

I don't eat anything that is supposed to have fat in it and has fat free on the label. That's right. I eat actual butter. Fully loaded sour cream. I drink whole milk. I use oil and eat cheese. I just don't eat a ton of it. A tablespoon of sour cream has 30 calories (yes! The kind that actually tastes good)

Your body needs fat to operate properly. There are fat soluble vitamins that need fat to dissolve. So let go of all of the marketed diet bs and eat actual food. It is totally possible to stay within your calorie goals. Your taste buds will thank you and you won't feel deprived like I always do when I try fat free sour cream (ICK!)

*braces for attacks on all fronts*

Hear hear! Great post! Thanks for saying the things I'm thinking :flowerforyou: It particularly irks me when people insist on low-fat or fat-free dairy, but then advocate the use of protein powders. Where do they think that whey protein is derived from? The dairy companies are laughing all the way to the bank, with profits from selling the blue-white water AND the expensive protein powder to the same person, again and again and again.

The thing about dairy, most dairy anyways, is that the reduced-fat and fat-free items are not very much more processed than the original. It's easy during production to remove fats. I personally eat low-fat dairy and am pro whey protein. I have a very sensitive stomach and whole-fat dairy products do not agree with me (in the worst and most embarrassing ways). Whey protein on the other hand is not like eating a serving of dairy, it feels lighter in the stomach, very much less upsetting.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    after reading a lot of threads like this one, i'm really confused about what i should do. i pretty consistently consume about half, or less than half, of my allowance for fat. for example, what i have preemptively logged in my tracker for today comes to 15g of fat with the ability to eat 29g more. none of the foods on my tracker for today are "diet" foods. i've got oatmeal, lots of fruits and veggies, this spanish rice-thing i make for dinner, and i'm actually going to taco bell for lunch. i'm a vegan, so my diet doesn't/won't contain any cholesterol.
    sometimes i feel like i should eat more fat, because of all the people like OMG UR DOIN IT RONG EAT MORE FAT. but the days when i do eat more fat, it's because i got into the potato chips when i was visiting my mom, or went out to eat with friends and had french fries, or ate a lot of soy ice cream. in other words, i'm lost about how to get my fat into my diet without eating JUNK. :(

I agree, you should eat more fat. It is good for your skin and hair. Try adding avocado or nuts or nut butters or nut oils or tahini or olive oil to your foods. Honestly, I find some food tastes a lot better with a teaspoon or 2 of oil. And the fat helps you absorb the vitamins (especially for carrots, tomatoes and leafy greens.

Add 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts to your oatmeal to start. Eat guacamole on your tacos and add some olive oil to your veggies.
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find the foods that are aimed at dieters give me heartburn so bad! Im sure its whatever they use in processing, ick!
    Id rather have less amount of REAL food then more of manipulated foods
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    mrsmangomum, sorry if i made you worry that you'd offended me, that was not the case! i was just feeling a little frustrated from not knowing how to get more fat into my diet after seeing -- and agreeing with! -- several fat-is-good-for-you! threads. this thread that you've made has helped me get a lot of great suggestions for how to improve my diet, so i thank you for that very much!

and thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions! i will be hitting the grocery store and stocking up on avocados, nuts, hummus, and the other things people mentioned!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.. and I think a lot of other people are too. Most of what I eat is "real" food, not "diet" food though I do usually have reduced fat dairy (low fat yoghurt, cream cheese, skim milk) but that's preference for those things really, not fear of the calories.
    I've been on the "fat-free" ride before -and I'm guessing that most people who were overweight in the 80s and 90s did the same thing - and hopefully have realised exactly what you've observed - the processed "fat-free" or "sugar-free" foods most often have other nasties added to them to make up for what they've taken out and aren't really a great choice.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Personally, I get low- to non-fat dairy because I like to eat a lot and actually like the taste lol that said, I don't ban full fat items either.

I do sweeten my teas and yogurt and that stuff with artificial sweeteners because again, more calories for other food :bigsmile: , but if I make sweets for the family I use regular sugar and I will allow myself to have some of what I am making.

Its just a mix I guess, the only foods I really don't eat on a daily basis are white bread and white rice. Not that they're evil, but I just find it really easy to overeat them because they don't fill me up as quickly as brown rice and whole grain bread