What is the WORST protein powder you have had?

Options
Noticed so many people commit to a 5lb tub of something they have never had, then suffer through it every morning!
SO thought this might be interesting and slightly useful. What is the worst protein powders you have ever had?

Mine:
Isopure - Mango Peach - Frothy and just nasty. Had to drinking it as fast as possible and have the tub for a year
Optimum Nutrition - Blueberry Casein - Turned solid when mixed and was gross

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Something called Aria protein powder that I bought at the grocery store. There was just no way to get it mixed in completely with the liquid, even with an immersion blender. I finally threw it out.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Some custom-order milk protein isolate from trueprotein.com It was like drinking flavorless sand-water.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ON caramel toffe fudge.... was ok to begin with but leaves a funky after taste and tastes odd with fruit so I resorted to mixing with just enough water to make it flow and would chug it.

Market Pantry Vanilla - lumpy no matter how it is mixed and tastes cheap.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Nutribiotic chocolate rice protein.

Feels like sand, tastes like dirt.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm new to trying protein shakes and have only had 2 brands so far

1) Meijer (local store) brand: Was pretty good but it was surprisingly not that cheap. Also, it wouldnt mix well in water/milk and leave big lumps of powder

2) Body fortress: I love this one so far and it was fairly cheap ($16 for a 2 lb container). Its freaking delicious and mix's well
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Noticed so many people commit to a 5lb tub of something they have never had, then suffer through it every morning!
    SO thought this might be interesting and slightly useful. What is the worst protein powders you have ever had?

Mine:
    Isopure - Mango Peach - Frothy and just nasty. Had to drinking it as fast as possible and have the tub for a year
    I think all casein does that....
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Some custom-order milk protein isolate from trueprotein.com It was like drinking flavorless sand-water.

I tried this stuff too. All the flavors looked so delicious. Was so sad that they were disgusting :C
  • nateraemom
    Options
    I've tried lots of nasty protein powder. Many of the store bought ones have an after taste that lingers forever. I'm in love with the Vi-Shape mix from Visalus. Best I've ever had.
    Options

Mine:
    I think all casein does that....

Xtreme Formulations Lemon Cream Pie. Never disappoints :]
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Muscletech Vanilla. It seriously has a metallic taste.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I tried this stuff too. All the flavors looked so delicious. Was so sad that they were disgusting :C

I found out later that the current owner of XF used to do flavoring for true protein, but they went downhill when he left.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had any that were exceptionally bad except some Twin Labs stuff I got for like 14 dollars (2 pounds).

I've got Elite Gourmet Choc Peanut Butter right now and it's great if you mix it up in a shaker cup with milk.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The only one I like is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Chocolate Mint...drinking it as we speak...YUM! :smile:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I hate TJs Hemp protein in milk or a smoothie form, it is gritty, but it is excellent in oatmeal so I survived.

The longer I have Nutiva HempShake the less I like it. :-( It has a weird after taste and doesn't work well in smoothies.
    Options
    The only one I like is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Chocolate Mint...drinking it as we speak...YUM! :smile:

Love that one! Tastes like thin mints :D Probably my favorite powder :]
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Made the mistake of buying Mus-l blast choc flavour, tastes foul, and has naff-all protein in it!!! Too many cals too. May be intended for bulking, not for just protein.

I'm using it up hidden in choc chip protein cookies tho, which works fine!!!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm taking notes. I just started protein shakes and have only tried two. Not a fan of either, but no real bases to go off of.
    Muscle Milk Chocolate and EAS Chocolate, both have an aftertaste I can handle, but not sure for how long.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    All nitrotech products.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein made me gag.. I gave it away because I couldn't choke it down. Awful.

I only use Optimum Nutrition protein powders now.. They're definitely the best, in my opinion.
  • monjero
    monjero Posts: 15
    Options
    Naturade Veg protein. its a soy based protein it does not mix well with anything and it has a chalky taste.