We love Whole Foods But Shop At Wal-Mart. Where do you groc

Options
124»

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I always shop at Walmart when an option. The people watching is worth the price of admission.

Besides I support child labor. If not, what else would those little s**ts be doing with all that free time.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't walk into a Walmart if they paid me to do it. My weekly shopping trip I do at Whole Foods for a couple reasons. It's only 3 blocks from my house so I can walk. I'd also rather pay the higher prices for the quality you get at Whole Foods. During the week, Safeway is on the way home so I can pick up anything I need from there that's comparable quality to what Whole Foods carries or brands I can't get at WF. Then I do an occasional Trader Joes run though I try not to do that too often because that's where I tend to splurge buying stuff that's less than healthy lol
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Within walking distance I have a Harris Teeter, a Safeway, a small organic grocery store, and a historic market with an additional weekend farmer's market.

I do most of my shopping at Harris Teeter, which is the best supermarket chain in the area, but I supplement it with nice things from the farmer's market, organic store, and other small shops nearby. About once a month I'll take a trip out to an Asian grocery store in the suburbs and stock up on cheap produce!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I despise Walmart. Besides being crowded and dirty, the company is just horrible. I've seen several places where Walmart was the main anchor to a whole retail area and they moved and the area went to sh--. They just move a mile or two away where the land is cheap and leave the original spot to rot. Disgusting.
    There is one spot where that strategy came back to bite them. Instead of falling apart, a Hobby Lobby moved in to the empty spot, the Target across the street remodeled, and a Whole Foods came in next door. The area took off. And Walmart missed it.
    Besides their habit of destroying retail areas, I just never leave Walmart satisfied. If I have three things on my list, they'll be missing one. Always.
    I go to Whole Foods. We don't spend any more than we did at Publix or Kroger. We buy what's in season and on sale. We make a menu for the week and a shopping list and we stick to the list. I can get all the organic/pastured things I want. Most stores' organic selection is limited to a few banged up apples and factory farmed organic milk.
    Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Aldi for basics: flour, sugar, eggs
    Produce market for--duh--fruits & veg, but also pasta, good bread & canned tomatoes
    Meijer for stuff I can't get elsewhere: A1 steak sauce, low sodium soy sauce, sugar free applesauce, parchment paper, etc.
    I'd love to go to Trader Joe's, but there isn't one near me.
    I can't stand WalMart in general and go there as seldom as possible.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid Wal-Mart but do shop there occasionally. Especially when on the road and am in a small town where there is nothing else but Wal-Mart.

But I never buy food from Wal-Mart or any other Superstore like that. I am just creeped out by the idea of buying food form the same place that sells guns, tires, tools, etc.

I am also a little sketched out by the idea of buying food from the same place I go to get my amusing people watching in.

I also never buy music from Wal-mart since I loathe their censorship. But since the CD's have gone the way of the 8-track, that hasn't been an issue (And that they never carried the music I like anyway).

I usually don't care what supermarket I use and often go for convenience over price, but my favorite is Roche Brothers, a small Massachusetts based chain. And for meats, there are a couple good butcher shops near my home I use.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My main groceries are from Wal-mart. And my specialty things either come from a local food co-op, Trader Joe's, or an amazing Asian market. (If I'm in a pinch I'll go to Raley's or Safeway.)

Edit: I forgot about Costco. I get some of my staple items from Costco.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I despise Wal-Mart for many reasons... including how awful I was treated when I worked there in college. (vs. Target who was great to their employees) My local Wal-Mart is always TRASHED. I used to shop there around midnight because that's when it was clean but I can't do that anymore.

I usually shop at Kroger (closest) or Target (most convenient) I love Whole Foods and make occasional special trips there as well as Sprouts. Our Sprouts is in a dry town so they can't sell wine.... so I don't go there much.

I will sometimes venture into a Fiesta because they have great prices & great variety in their produce. Especially if I'm trying a new Mexican recipe. They always have the chili's & spices which are hit & miss elsewhere.

Ok but at the beach in Florida near where we vacation, the Wal-Mart there is pretty ok, not trashed. They actually have a decent deli there.