FRIED FOODS.....is a No No

Options

Replies

• mykahlio1
    mykahlio1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    nothing is a no no. you need to make sure you are eating and logging the correct portions for any food you eat no matter if its the typical healthy food or something fried and or greasy. if you dont have the available calories to eat it then go do enough exercise to account for the extra calories your going to or already have gone over.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Pleeeease. I had chicken fried steak and mashed potatos the other night. I still managed to be under my calories. :)

Wow! must have had a huge deficit to cover or you weren't in Texas. I think it's a state law that all chicken fried steaks must be the size of a standard car's hubcap.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. If it fits your macros then eat that *kitten*.

Track it, eat it.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It's obviously not the best thing for you, but anything is ok, in moderation. I don't like to restrict certain things from my diet otherwise I'll just crave it non-stop lol.

There are better ways to eat fried food though. Go for items that are lightly breaded, and not dripping in grease. You can deep fry food w/o having it be a grease bucket. Blot it with a napkin or something to pick up any extra grease before you eat it.

If you are making something at home, use olive oil instead of any other oil or grease, including butter. Olive oil is better for you and has heart healthy fats in it.

Just remember, MODERATION. :)
  • iambatman41
    Options
    I had two whole catfish last month and they were goooooood!!!!!. About 460 calories each so I made sure to workout that day and adjusted my other meals. Try to stay away from the hush puppies though because they can add bunches of calories very quickly. I try to only eat fried food once a month as a special treat. As others have said, moderation is the key.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    don't forget there are good fats out there too. you could fry the fish in coconut oil or olive oil. still in moderation but good for you too. with coconut oil a little goes a long way !
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you want catfish and can work catfish into your daily calories, go for it! I will tell you this - sometimes when you eat better and your body adjusts to it, the things you used to love? Well, they don't sit so well with you. I used to LOVE cheeseburgers and now? Ground beef does not sit well with me - makes me quite sick actually. Just something to keep in mind. :)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hi can we eat anything Fried.....I really miss fried catfish, if anybody know what i mean. Is all fried foods a No No...Dont touch

we don't control what you eat. nothing is considered a "no no" - it's not like give out daily beatings for eating something fried...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When I oven-fry chicken, I dip it in egg and then in panko or seasoned bread crumbs, spray a tinfoil lined baking sheet, put the chicken on, then spray some zero calorie spray on top so they get crispy. Cook a little more than halfway, turn, then cook the rest of the way. Chicken tenders usually take between 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness. Yum yum yum. Had those last night. :)
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I was turned on to Pan-Searing and it gives it a crisp taste....I have even tried it with a little breading on it...GOOD.....
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have never seen fried fish battered in flour, I've always battered it and have seen it battered in corn meal.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions to try to find a healthier way to make it, but other than soda I haven't elimitated anything from my diet, I've just increased the healthier stuff and tracked so that I'm not eating too much (or too little). I say have your catfish - and pair it with lots of great veggies.
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    Try shake and bake.....yum!!!!!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Anything in moderation as long as you are ultimitely traveling toward overall healthier selections. I just ask myself, is this worth it? If the answer is yes, I don't look back. And let's face it, sometimes the answer is just YES!

^^ this :)
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ha ha...where did you get 2 whole catfish from..
  • rmh84
    rmh84 Posts: 28
    Options
    I don't like declaring anything 100% off limits, this is where diets fail for me.

I had a chick-fil-a sandwich today and a milkshake. It was over 1000 calories all in. I went riding for nearly 2 hours this morning though, and will go to the gym tonight, as well as have a light supper. This will make this work with my current cal limit.

I make sure that I don't eat it every day, or in large quanitities. I make sure that I eat things like this only as a special treat.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    what do you use when u Pan -Seared. how do you do it
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. If you're planning on losing weight, make sure you're in a calorie deficit.

This. If you want fried food, have it. Try logging it into MFP before you eat it to see if the numbers are okay for your allowance and then decide if it's worth it.

^ this is exactly what I do as I don't see the point in cutting out all the things I enjoy, else I'll crave them till my goal weight and then gorge on them and put all the weight back on :(
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I believe that fried food is an essential food group. If it fits in my calories I dive in with reckless abandon. If it doesn't, I "oven fry" it instead.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I put them on the "rarely eat" list. Okay to have every now and then, but I don't include in my day to day diet.

I know what you mean about catfish, though. I LOVE fried catfish. But I also LOVE blackened catfish, so I eat that way more often.