FRIED FOODS.....is a No No

Options

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Hi can we eat anything Fried.....I really miss fried catfish, if anybody know what i mean. Is all fried foods a No No...Dont touch
    I fry the majority of the food I cook in coconut oil. I've eaten more fish in the past year than in the first 29 years of my life combined, especially trout, salmon, smallmouth bass, walleye, and pike... Occasionally I bake it, but usually it's faster, easier, and tastier to pan-fry it. Hasn't stopped my weight loss.

I also pan-fry chicken.

I'm not talking once-in-a-while, here. I'm talking, usually once a day. But I measure my oil and my portions. Buy a scale if you don't have one.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I eat "fried" food all the time.

I've already completed today's diary and you can see that I'm having fried chicken. I'll dip the boneless, skinless breast in egg whites, then into seasoned bread crumbs, then pan fry in organic, olive oil cooking spray. Oh and then afterwards, I'm putting marinara sauce with some fat free mozzerella on it and swiping it under the broiler. Add a salad, some roasted asparagus and a portabello mushroom and you have a gourmet meal. Delish!

I don't know why people think they have to deprive themselves. There's no need!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    eat whatever the heck you want....seriously, just enjoy in moderation. i find i dont want these things anymore, after 8 months my body doesnt crave junk. it craves healthy stuff.
    once in awhile though, i'll have it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you increase your ratio of nutritious food to food that is mostly empty calories (fried things), then you don't need to restrict yourself from eating it and the times you DO get to indulge will be well worth it.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ive lost 34 pounds in the past year, and i still have fried foods every once in a while.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    ok, that sounds good....i will try oven fried fish..but i wonder do u still have to use flour

Just make it the way you want BUT track every single drop of flour, oil, etc....everything you use no matter how small of an amount, and stay under your calorie count for the day.

Fried fish sounds good to me. :love:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    part of losing weight and our relationships with food - is do NOT deprive yourself, but just keep it in moderation! Track it and keep yourself accountable, but ENJOY it, you only have one go around on this marble we call earth.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I use a mixture of corn meal and wheat germ when I'm trying to "bread" something. The taste is awesome! Throw in some cayenne pepper for a kick. Yum!
  • sweetmspea
    Options
    I would say to use seasoned bread crumbs, and also use milk, water, or egg whites to make the bread crumbs stick. Then coat your pan with cooking spray and put a little cooking spray on the fish before putting it in the oven. That will help the bread crumbs get nice and crispy. Sometimes you have to be creative, but you can make it work. Actually this is making me very hungry for oven fried fish....LOL. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. If you're planning on losing weight, make sure you're in a calorie defecit.

this

yep!
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. If you're planning on losing weight, make sure you're in a calorie defecit.
    This. Everything in moderation.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i eat fried fish and chicken all the time.

i coat with a gluten free flour that i've mixed in herbs and spices, heat up a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil and go to town. you don have to deep fry your food to get a crunchy crust

i'm going to have to try adding in the wheat germ!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    ha ha...where did you get 2 whole catfish from..

Probably from a river or pond. Its this fun thing called fishing! :)
  • rmh84
    rmh84 Posts: 28
    Options
    Oh, one thing I just remembered - I had the BEST pan-fried fish at a resteraunt once, it was breaded in: Chopped sunflower seeds. It was amazing.
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    I personally think its harder to work offf.. Anything fried I can bake/bbq it and have is soooooo MUCH LESS in calories! but if ya need to,,, do it on your cheat day. HERE and there is fine but not a daily/weekly thing. try once a month. :) Happy Eating
  • chrisjuricich
    Options
    They all said it--moderation. Fried foods are higher in calories for one thing--and then they're not healthy as a second note.

So...eat less of it--
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

or "noodling"!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

or "noodling"!

noodling is on my bucket list

ETA: however, tight-lining with minnows has been the best way to catch catfish, in my experience.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Depends if you mean deep fried or sauteed in a little oil in a frying pan. I cook loads of things in my frying pan - fish, vegetables, omelets etc - and I don't see any problem with it as long as the teaspoon of oil is logged in my calories.

Deep fat fryers are another thing entirely...

ETA - I've just read the whole thread and all the talk of breadcrumbs and other coatings - think there may be a US/UK cultural divide. When we (UK) say fried we just mean cooked in oil, I guess when you say it it means something different?
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    ETA - I've just read the whole thread and all the talk of breadcrumbs and other coatings - think there may be a US/UK cultural divide. When we (UK) say fried we just mean cooked in oil, I guess when you say it it means something different?

I have to agree! Can be a bit confusing for us Brits sometimes!! :D