Upped my calories and upped my weight!

Options
Okay, so following good advice from the forums, for the past month I've been trying to up my net calories to around 1300-1400 (not masses but previously I was netting in the 900's-1200's and had been at a plateau for 3 months) well, I can say my plateau has been broken, just in the wrong way, and now I'm up 6lbs. I honestly don't understand. I know your body is supposed to freak out for a couple of weeks and gain a couple of lbs before it settles and starts losing again but I've been trying this for a month and I'm gaining?

How long before my body settles and starts losing again? I am feeling really, really low about this.

Replies

• SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

Ditto
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

Ditto

Agreed.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged by 6lbs. Keep at it. Instead of upping calories trying doing more strength training. if you don't have a gym membership you can buy a kettleball or resistance bands and work with those at home. Muscle burns more calories then fat so if you increase your muscle then that will help break the plateau.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that all or most of that is water weight. Eating at those calorie levels, you should not put on 6 pounds of fat, or really any pounds of fat unless you are small and totally sedentary, in a month.
  • determinedhealthy
    determinedhealthy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning....but I recently increased my net calories to 1200 because I wasn't losing. Now I am losing again. If you net 800-1000 calories for quite sometime and then changed to 1200 net your body will gain at first, but then it will start losing. If you aren't providing your body enought calories our bodies will "hold" onto every calories consumed, and then there is no energy to burn fat and lose weight. Too low is under 1200 net, so I've read, but everyone is different. It sounds crazy, but it does make sense and for me it's working.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Okay, so following good advice from the forums, for the past month I've been trying to up my net calories to around 1300-1400 (not masses but previously I was netting in the 900's-1200's and had been at a plateau for 3 months) well, I can say my plateau has been broken, just in the wrong way, and now I'm up 6lbs. I honestly don't understand. I know your body is supposed to freak out for a couple of weeks and gain a couple of lbs before it settles and starts losing again but I've been trying this for a month and I'm gaining?

How long before my body settles and starts losing again? I am feeling really, really low about this.

if you have only gone up by 200 cals a day, you haven't even eaten back your deficit to get to mainentance. you need to eat over maintenance to add fat.

Are you still gaining weekly?

What is your BMR and TDEE?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

No offense but dont listen to this advice.
    Its a surefire way to drop hormones and maintain fat.
    Yikes!

Continue eating at your rate and measure your progress.
    The human body can fluctuate up to 5lbs or more daily.
    If the body fat doesnt drop after a month then adjust macros.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Oh no...not another one!!
    Conventional wisdom is what got us into this mess.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options

She's lost 47 lbs and I've dropped 6 sizes and gained muscle at the same time. Both schools of thought are present here, and the OP can choose the one that makes most sense to her.

I am stunned by how many people seem to get personally offended when people choose not to eat more. It's fine to disagree, but some of these "rebuttals" are unnecessarily rude.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Depending on how obese you are will depend on if you can "build" lean mass while at a deficit.
    These types of results are only seen in Obese 2 and Obese 3 people where ATP is concentrated enough in their muscles that they can stimulate growth.

If OP isnt fueling first her Basal Metabolic needs then she should just throw in the towel now.

You need fuel to live and work and play.
    Without it youll eventually break down.

Now if OP is eating back all her cals and netting above BMR then she will do just fine.

I think people get confused about dieting and feel that its primarily working out then eating right.

Truth is its 70% diet, 20% sleep and 10% working out.
    Without the first 2 in place you will increase your diet timeline longer than it really needs to be.
  • NU2U
    Options
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've

lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

She's lost 47 lbs and I've dropped 6 sizes and gained muscle at the same time. Both schools of thought are present here, and the OP can choose the one that makes most

sense to her.

I am stunned by how many people seem to get personally offended when people choose not to eat more. It's fine to disagree, but some of these "rebuttals" are unnecessarily rude.

.........says the person who responds about "rude rebuttals"...with a "rude rebuttle"....

Ding, ding, ding..now back to your corner
  • NU2U
    Options
    Is this NOT an open FORUM?

THERE WILL BE DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!
    :grumble:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed on your food diary is that some of the entries are missing sodium. I'm not sure if that would be enough to have water retention, but I know that all milks and cheese have at least some sodium, and the listings your using for your cheddar and oats with skim milk are listed as zero. Not pointing fingers or anything... it's something that some people leave off when they enter their foods.

Also, be sure to track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit and photos. The scale... sucks.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

No offense but dont listen to this advice.
    Its a surefire way to drop hormones and maintain fat.
    Yikes!

Continue eating at your rate and measure your progress.
    The human body can fluctuate up to 5lbs or more daily.
    If the body fat doesnt drop after a month then adjust macros.

^^^^^^

THIS!!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

lost a fair bit myself, not following starvation advice...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Is this NOT an open FORUM?

THERE WILL BE DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!
    :grumble:

true. and some will be ill-informed
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    What you should do is find out your BMR and eat that and above, no less!! Thats is the base amount your body needs to function!!
  • NU2U
    Options
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know

it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

lost a fair bit myself, not following starvation advice...

Omg!!! Congratulations..that is quite impressive :flowerforyou:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

I did exactly THIS..ate around 1,300 calories a day and burnt 1,100 calories a day and not touch my exercise calories. result? I gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks.

Last 3 days I have started eating 500 extra calories ( approx half of my exercise calories) and guess what happened? I lost 1.3 lbs in 2 days.