Upped my calories and upped my weight!

Options

Replies

• watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Dislike.
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

No offense but dont listen to this advice.
    Its a surefire way to drop hormones and maintain fat.
    Yikes!

Continue eating at your rate and measure your progress.
    The human body can fluctuate up to 5lbs or more daily.
    If the body fat doesnt drop after a month then adjust macros.

"Like"
  • watboy
    Options
    What works for some doesn't work for others. If you feel that you are gaining weight on that amount of calories then go lower again and see if it works. Personally I can't lose weight unless I seriously resrict carbs and eat under 1200 a day as well. That's what works for me. It wouldn't have been ideal at 20 but I am 53 and my hormonal state, lifestyle and metabolism are completely different.
    It's your body and only you can determine what works for you, sometimes you just have to experiment a bit to find out what is the best regime to suit your metabolism and sometimes you have to just change what you are doing to relieve the boredom and give you a bit of kick start. Do some research, find a weight loss plan that you like the sound of and follow it for a month to see what happens, try another one, try a low carb one, then a low fat one, then a strict calorie counted one until you find a way of eating that is sustainable, enjoyable and is producing the results that you want. It's a lifetime journey.
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ignore the eat less exercise more, as that will send your body into starvation mode and you will gain. For me, I had this problem time and time again with the dozens of diets I tried. I finally got it straight now with the new program I am on because I am putting the perfect nutrition and calories in my body every single day. That in conjunction with this website keep me on track and exactly where I need to be.

If you are getting too few calories this can be a problem. Follow the caloric intake this site says that you need, and make sure you exercise. I am now down 50 lbs because of the new plan I am on and the best part is I took at 1 month break from it in the middle and I did NOT gain an ounce. That's how I know I've found the right program, when I stop, and I don't gain! Woot Woot!

Eat the calories the site says to eat. Put proper nutrition in your body!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There was two ways I lost weight.

One was by lowering my calories more and more and more and more until I was eating under 1000 calories a day.

One was by eating the RIGHT amount of calories, which for me was around 1800-2000 (total, including exercise calories).

The first way, I often struggled to lose even a half pound every OTHER week.

The second way, I lost on average one pound a week for about seven months until I reached my goal weight.

Details here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore :smile:
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Here's some starvation science for you. And this will probably be long.

When I joined MFP - I did the same as every other newbie. I dropped my calories to 1200 (why is THIS the magic number, anyway?). I think I actually made it to my 1200c goal once. Then I would work out EVERY DAY - burning 500-600 calories. I never ate my exercise calories back. I was netting about 700 calories per day. And THAT is a generous estimate. I was STARVING MYSELF!!!

Two weeks ago - I upped my calories, lowered my cardio, and started strength training. In the first few days - I gained a pound or two. My weight on the scale fluctuated for the first few days up and down, up and down. Then.... BAM!!! 6 pounds off the scale. The next day - 1 more pound. The day after that, a half a pound.

Then - This week - I have been sick. It's hard to eat anything when your throat is so swollen you can barely swallow. So, after two days of NOT eating (which is basically what I was doing BEFORE I upped my calories), I have put on 4 pounds in two days. Now, OBVIOUSLY I have not gained 4 pounds in two days - especially when I have not eaten anything. BUT your body starts a process...Whoa... No food, well, don't use anything we don't need. Retain the fat. Retain the calories. Burn the muscle -she's not using it anyway. Retain the water.

Hmmmmm - I eat, and I lose weight. I don't eat, I gain weight.... WTF?!?!

For those of you NON believers, do some research. No, REALLY. I'm being serious. Our bodies have been conditioned to react like this since the beginning of the existence of our species. Lose the fat in summer, when it's hot, and we don't need insulation. Pack on the fat before winter, for insulation, and because food is scarce in the winter when you are living in a cave and there are no crops growing. Your body is built to store fat and energy for times of famine. If you don't feed your body - your body thinks you're starving and slows down your metobolic rate to conserve what energy you have stored. It doesn't matter that you are telling yourself that you are not starving yourself. Your body doesn't believe you, and doesn't need you to tell it what to do. It already knows what it is supposed to do. Extra fuel, get rid of it. Not enough fuel, eh, better hold on to that.

Our bodies were not meant to be starved. There was no such thing as a low, or no carb diet before some guy decided that people would buy into that. All carbs are bad. Really? Well, I guess fruits, vegetables and grains are out of my diet. Low fat? Damnnit. There went meat, and dairy. What's left to eat? (I am skipping a lot of food here, but you get my point.)

We are supposed to have a well balanced diet, including fat, protiens, and carbs. WE are SUPPOSED to eat enough to allow our bodies to function properly! Now, you don't get to eat all day, and not get off the couch. You still have to get up and move! Our bodies were designed for movement!

I understand that everyone has their own opinions. But as someone who has been on both sides of the spectrum - I am a believer. I was cautious. I was doubtful. I did my research. I read books, and blogs, and medical digests. And I found something that is working for me. If you are just starting out - give it time. AT least 3 months. Your body doesn't handle sudden change well. It needs time to adapt to new circumstances.

And for those of you on the starvation diets - don't knock us eaters for what we do. Don't say that something won't work when you haven't tried it. I have one question though. Do you only go by the number on the scale? Do you take measurements? What is your body fat percentage? As a former starvation dieter, I know how I was. The number was the only thing that mattered. And I lost 60 pounds! Go me!! But guess what - I was still at 49% body fat. Just because the number goes down, doesn't mean you are losing FAT. You might be losing OTHER important things your body needs.

Just one girls opinion. Good luck to everyone!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. My only hope is that you find a sensible approach to a lifestyle change that will work for you. If you can live off of so few calories a day, then by all means do it.
  • HeatherBriggs1970
    Options
    It worked for me - I went from 1200 to 1420 and it broke my plateau.
  • watboy
    Options
    why does everyone assume that someone who is doign 1200-1300 calories is "starving"? I don't agree with that as a blanket statement. I don't know I just don't get it. Everyone is entitlted to their opinion. I've read some many stuides that debunk the starvation mode myth. I've read studies that support it but the conditions were so ridicolous that most regular folks wouldn't have issues. I guess this will alway sbe an argument no matter what science or individual experiences prove. I say people are different some people say they are not. Even though umm there are anomolies in hormones, in metabolic rates and genetics. All I know is everyone has the right to chose what they eat or don't eat and the right to disagree. I personally try to eat 1400 calories a day , sometimes I don't get there sometimes I do. I'm not trying to limit myself I just don't personally eat a lot because I never really have. I don't do it to lose weight it's just how I eat. Good luck to all who are still looking for something that works.
    Here's some starvation science for you. And this will probably be long.

When I joined MFP - I did the same as every other newbie. I dropped my calories to 1200 (why is THIS the magic number, anyway?). I think I actually made it to my 1200c goal once. Then I would work out EVERY DAY - burning 500-600 calories. I never ate my exercise calories back. I was netting about 700 calories per day. And THAT is a generous estimate. I was STARVING MYSELF!!!

Two weeks ago - I upped my calories, lowered my cardio, and started strength training. In the first few days - I gained a pound or two. My weight on the scale fluctuated for the first few days up and down, up and down. Then.... BAM!!! 6 pounds off the scale. The next day - 1 more pound. The day after that, a half a pound.

Then - This week - I have been sick. It's hard to eat anything when your throat is so swollen you can barely swallow. So, after two days of NOT eating (which is basically what I was doing BEFORE I upped my calories), I have put on 4 pounds in two days. Now, OBVIOUSLY I have not gained 4 pounds in two days - especially when I have not eaten anything. BUT your body starts a process...Whoa... No food, well, don't use anything we don't need. Retain the fat. Retain the calories. Burn the muscle -she's not using it anyway. Retain the water.

Hmmmmm - I eat, and I lose weight. I don't eat, I gain weight.... WTF?!?!

For those of you NON believers, do some research. No, REALLY. I'm being serious. Our bodies have been conditioned to react like this since the beginning of the existence of our species. Lose the fat in summer, when it's hot, and we don't need insulation. Pack on the fat before winter, for insulation, and because food is scarce in the winter when you are living in a cave and there are no crops growing. Your body is built to store fat and energy for times of famine. If you don't feed your body - your body thinks you're starving and slows down your metobolic rate to conserve what energy you have stored. It doesn't matter that you are telling yourself that you are not starving yourself. Your body doesn't believe you, and doesn't need you to tell it what to do. It already knows what it is supposed to do. Extra fuel, get rid of it. Not enough fuel, eh, better hold on to that.

Our bodies were not meant to be starved. There was no such thing as a low, or no carb diet before some guy decided that people would buy into that. All carbs are bad. Really? Well, I guess fruits, vegetables and grains are out of my diet. Low fat? Damnnit. There went meat, and dairy. What's left to eat? (I am skipping a lot of food here, but you get my point.)

We are supposed to have a well balanced diet, including fat, protiens, and carbs. WE are SUPPOSED to eat enough to allow our bodies to function properly! Now, you don't get to eat all day, and not get off the couch. You still have to get up and move! Our bodies were designed for movement!

I understand that everyone has their own opinions. But as someone who has been on both sides of the spectrum - I am a believer. I was cautious. I was doubtful. I did my research. I read books, and blogs, and medical digests. And I found something that is working for me. If you are just starting out - give it time. AT least 3 months. Your body doesn't handle sudden change well. It needs time to adapt to new circumstances.

And for those of you on the starvation diets - don't knock us eaters for what we do. Don't say that something won't work when you haven't tried it. I have one question though. Do you only go by the number on the scale? Do you take measurements? What is your body fat percentage? As a former starvation dieter, I know how I was. The number was the only thing that mattered. And I lost 60 pounds! Go me!! But guess what - I was still at 49% body fat. Just because the number goes down, doesn't mean you are losing FAT. You might be losing OTHER important things your body needs.

Just one girls opinion. Good luck to everyone!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to find what works for you. I did both lower calories no exercise lost a ton of weight at once, gained it back as fast too when I told myself I personally was not eating healthy. I eat the calories needed, most of my exercise calories I ate back and seem to be loosing more and feel better, more energy to do the intense workouts. It took me quite a while to up calories because I myself has been taught to eat less move more, but it is also what is eatin.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Because that's the science of it. For example - a 5 foot, 7 inch female who is 25 years old, would have a BMR of 1200.4 - if she weighed 80 pounds. Which, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - she would be 46 pounds UNDER her "ideal" body weight. A male - at the same height and age would have a BMR of 1200.4 if he weighed 72.8 pounds. For him, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - he would be 65.2 POUNDS UNDERWEIGHT.

Thats not an assumption. That's fact.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

Oh no...not another one!!

Conventional wisdom is what got us into this mess.

Ditto!
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • Hope1971
    Hope1971 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Interesting facts...

When planning to lose weight, a lot of people worry about losing their muscle shape, such as their brawny biceps or their six-pack. Thus, the question arises: Does the body burn fat or muscle first? Both fat and muscle tissues can be burned to provide heat and energy to the body but to understand if the body burns fat or muscle first, let us take a second look at the fat burning process.

When we eat, we take in nutrients as well as fat, whether what we eat is fatty or not. The body then breaks down the food, after which it disperses the nutrients and some fat to be absorbed in the bloodstream and used in bodily processes. Afterwards, the body stores leftover fat under the skin and in various organs throughout the body. In order for the human body to continue existing, it needs to use up the stored energy. The stored energy does not only come from fat but from glycogen, proteins, carbohydrates and muscle tissue. To know if the body burns fat or muscle first, let us review these sources of energy.

The first thing the body burns is protein, mainly because protein cannot be stored in the body. Proteins from alcohol are burned first followed by other proteins. These nutrients are dispersed in the bloodstream and any excess is channeled towards the excretory system to be removed from the body. Thus, you can rarely complain that your body has too much protein. Next, the body burns carbohydrates, both simple and complex, with glycogen being its main form. Glycogen is sugar stored mostly in the liver and controls blood sugar levels as well as providing most of the energy the body needs. Once glycogen has been used up, the body then burns up fat, breaking it down into smaller units to be absorbed in the blood stream. Muscle comes last. Thus, the answer to the question ‘does the body burn fat or muscle first’ is fat.

The idea that the body burns muscle first before fat may come from the fact that glycogen is also stored in muscle tissues. However, it is the glycogen in them and not the tissues themselves that get burned. In fact, some nutritionists and health experts claim that burning muscle tissues is not healthy. Muscles, after all, are necessary to perform body functions. If you feel you are burning muscles more than fat, you might want to ask your fitness trainer about it and possibly switch to a better routine. Also, if the muscles burn first, there would be little use in building and toning them to burn fat since that would mean they are used up first before the fat they are supposed to help break down. The next time you face the mirror and ask yourself if you should lose weight and whether your body burns fat or muscle first, relax. As long as you exercise regularly and eat sensibly, you’re bound to get the results you want and good health in the process.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    To gain 6 pounds of fat in a month you would have to increase your intake to 700 calories a day more than you burn. Likely a 1000 calorie a day raise (or more) from what you were previously eating.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • watboy
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. Explain an entire race of people who primarily eat fish and rice who are in greater health mentally and physcically and don't eat 1800 calories a day. Or the hundreds of people who are on here saying it's working for them and are telling you their experiences and also noting their numbers are far as weight as far as cholelesterol or going from pre-diabetic to healthy and stable. From barely being able to go up a flight of stairs to playing with their children and grandchildren. Or the people who are now satisfied and no longer suicidal because they feel like they have somethign worth living for. I can also post research and studies that debunk 'starvation mode" but I've done that so many times I'm kinda tired of it.

Because that's the science of it. For example - a 5 foot, 7 inch female who is 25 years old, would have a BMR of 1200.4 - if she weighed 80 pounds. Which, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - she would be 46 pounds UNDER her "ideal" body weight. A male - at the same height and age would have a BMR of 1200.4 if he weighed 72.8 pounds. For him, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - he would be 65.2 POUNDS UNDERWEIGHT.

• 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So a little while ago I posted about eating too little calories and exercising too much. I was SUPER guilty. I spent 3 hours a day working out in the gym and I was skipping meals and eating barely 1000 calories a day. I was also losing TONS of weight. After my post and most of the same advice everyone here is giving and speaking to a friend I upped my calories. My friend suggested I start eating protein bars because I have a really hard time eating in the morning (it makes me nauseous). So I started doing this I started drinking protein shakes in the morning to avoid nausea and eating a bar or two during my workout as I switched from running to swimming. I also cut back on my exercise dropping down to two hours a day rather than three. At first I gained about 4lbs I was devastated! But now I'm losing again I've dropped 2 of the 4lbs I've gained this week. I was like you I didn't feel like I was starving because my body was so used to running on that many calories. I felt great after working out for hours because of the endorphins. Now however, I see that I wasn't doing myself any favors by not upping my calories. I don't agree that eating under 1200 calories is necessarily 'starving' yourself because I wasn't starving and I had maintained that level for YEARS. However, it is not fueling your body efficiently. Its like a car. You can put diesel in an unleaded car and it will run for a while but eventually it will burn out the engine. Not putting in the correct fuel into your body is the same thing. Especially, since you are so close to your goal weight I would suggest sticking with the higher calories.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

It's an assumption that someon is 5'7". Not everyone is. Some people's BMR actually is only 1200.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. Explain an entire race of people who primarily eat fish and rice who are in greater health mentally and physcically and don't eat 1800 calories a day. Or the hundreds of people who are on here saying it's working for them and are telling you their experiences and also noting their numbers are far as weight as far as cholelesterol or going from pre-diabetic to healthy and stable. From barely being able to go up a flight of stairs to playing with their children and grandchildren. Or the people who are now satisfied and no longer suicidal because they feel like they have somethign worth living for. I can also post research and studies that debunk 'starvation mode" but I've done that so many times I'm kinda tired of it.

Thank You!
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Ditto.....

I was 98 kilos at my heaviest. I lost by eating less but healthy. Diabetes aside, I'm in excellent health for a man of my age. :blushing: