Bikers!!!

Options

Replies

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    they pretend to look down on you when you pass them, and stay ahead of them.

which is always fun.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The stereotypical serious roadies loathe people who aren't exactly like them. They call us "Freds."
    Not every person in lycra clipped into a roadbike is this way, of course. Just the super elite snobholes.

You absolutely, positively, should not sweat their opinion.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    there is that guy that rides in a thong on 360...

That's a mental image I just didn't need.... :)

He's REALLY tan! lol
    Seriously, I think that same guy (or his brother...or dad - he was pretty old) used to run by my office up here in Michigan in his skimpy shorty shorts with leather skin - talk about not pretty :(

Re: the bike thing, I've seen it go both ways...I'm leisure biker mostly and have been almost run down by the hardcore dudes, but a lot of them make a point to say hello or nod/smile when they go by...so I guess it depends on the personality...
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Seriously no. You are riding a bike. You are burning calories. Raising your HDL, lowering your resting heart rate. You are one less tail pipe. Less smoke, less oil, less $$$. Win, win, win.

Harley riders on the other hand, losers. I know, I had one for years.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The stereotypical serious roadies loathe people who aren't exactly like them. They call us "Freds."
    Not every person in lycra clipped into a roadbike is this way, of course. Just the super elite snobholes.

We don't loathe Freds. That term is affectionate. But it is very fun to fly by you in our 52/11 gear.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    This is funny that this came up - I was thinking about putting air in my bikes tires and going for a ride :) Helmet and all
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a biker. Hardcore??? Depends on my mood I suppose. Now those bikers who are wearing the matching "outfits" or shorts and tennis shoes on a motorcyle, I do admit chuckling when I see them. I'm not sure I look down my nose at anyone except for those who think people who ride Harleys are losers. I'm not even sure I look down my nose at them as they typically suffer from an inferiority complex and I'm guessing they really can't help that.

Now someone riding a mountain bike wearing a helmet, that's a different story. I have the utmost respect for them. They are getting fit and promoting a healthy lifestyle. They are an inspiration!! They are badd-*kitten* and I make lots of room for them on the road!!

I don't think I've ever heard the term, "Fred" before.

Badd Bob
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Ah man, I fell for it too. I thought it was going to a motorcycle thread. Oh well, maybe someone will make a group.
    See ya at Rendezvous:wink:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I love it when I see people getting into cycling? Yes I am a roadie all decked out in my gear, but I do have a mountian bike that I will wear just short and a tee to run around town. Just make sure you always have your helmet!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I ride a track bike, listen to indie music, and drink craft beer.... I generally look down on everyone ;)
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I think you upset the real bikers :laugh: you know, the one's I spray with my windshield washer fluid
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Wear what ever makes you comfortable. I wear pants/shorts and sweathirt/T-shirt depending on the weather. I am not into spending money on special clothing especially with company advertising on it. I don't were team jerseys with ball players name on them either. I don't see the point. Why would I want to walk around with someone else's name on my back.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist.... roadie.... whatever you wanna call it. I have matching gear, ride in spandex, and am easily 60lbs heavier than any person wearing spandex should be. My kits are all in an XL, and I don't care what ppl think of me in my spandex.

I have enough people judging me and what I'm wearing, so I don't care what other ppl are wearing. I just have one goal..... to be faster than I am now, and hopefully one day.... to be faster than someone else.

You do you, I do me... it works... why be a hater. (except if you're in a car.... then I probably hate you ;) hahahha!)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I don't notice so much what they wear, but how fast they seem to zoom past me, even when I am pedalling as hard and fast as I can.

I usually blame it on my not being fit enough or something (even though I cycle almost every day for 10-30 miles)
    but I am assuming they have much better geared and lighter bikes or something because they seem to fly past so effortlessly.

Really leaves me a little annoyed at times. I hate my carrera crossfire now, and hope I can figure out what might be a faster bike without being totally a road bike.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Wear what you want................the point is you are out there getting fit...............................this is my new favorite phrase
    super elite snobholes
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just recently started mountain biking and I purchased a bike from a big box store because I am new to mountain biking and didn't see any reason to shell out 1 grand or two for a bike, that and I'm a little cheap when it comes to buying things for myself. I have noticed mountain biking is a great way to meet new, cool people who all share one common interest and love of just being out on the trails. I've never met up with anyone while biking and they say anything about my cheapo bike. Screw em if they do. I'm there to enjoy the outdoors and relax.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    My bike:

Daytona675Side.jpg

That being said lol...if I came up on you on your bike...I might be looking, but it wouldn't be down at you =D.
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I ride a trek fx 7.7. No matching gear and no helmet. When I was growing up they were unheard of. I don't think there is a need to start now. I must be a rebel.

I hope they do not look down on me. :bigsmile:
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It's not you trust me. I had the mountain bike, did my 10 mile journey to work in about 45 mins full effort sweat pouring out of everywhere down a canal to work to avoid the busy roads. A couple of times I did the road route and it took me about 50 mins because of all the cars and traffic lights, definitely went faster though.

Then I switched to the 1980's racing bike, it was heavy but you could instantly tell it's faster just as soon as you pedal, my friends on their mountain bikes would be cycling properly to keep speed and I'd be doing a half turn of my pedal to keep up it's just silly the difference.

Then I switched to the modern road bike..oh my. The thing just flys, it feels like it's trying to jump out of my hands when I go for it, the amount of power and acceleration is incredible. This is mainly due to the fact I'm clipped into my bike though, you get double the power down if you've got the clip on shoes because you're pulling up as well as pushing down, if you use normal pedals you can only really push down. It now means I get to work in 30 mins over 10 miles with 29 traffic lights or so along the way and I don't even really sweat anymore. It's just less effort in general!
    I don't notice so much what they wear, but how fast they seem to zoom past me, even when I am pedalling as hard and fast as I can.

I usually blame it on my not being fit enough or something (even though I cycle almost every day for 10-30 miles)
    but I am assuming they have much better geared and lighter bikes or something because they seem to fly past so effortlessly.

Really leaves me a little annoyed at times. I hate my carrera crossfire now, and hope I can figure out what might be a faster bike without being totally a road bike.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The dog in your profile pic is so funny looking!! :love: