Still not enough protein!!!!??

Options
13»

Replies

• Abigaillee15
    Options
    I need protein as well! I am a college student so my options are limited! The food served is always inconsistent! A variety of ideas would be apprecaited! There's only so much grilled chicken I can eat!
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Oh god now I'm OVER!! Lol can't win. Had omelette for brekkie, home made _semi skimmed milk with dried milk powder) protein shake as a snack, then veggie chilli con carne.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. You really need a lot more protein than the RDA. Especially if you are trying to build muscle.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to have about 70g of protein but so far today I've only had about 22g of protein - and I don't intend to have any more protein.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Judging by what I am learning as i go along on here, i have never in my life eaten enough protein!!

What are the long term effects of eating too much or too little?
  • thekatiesuebob
    thekatiesuebob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chobani 0% Greek!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Go look at your breakfast and tell me how you can have an omelette of two whole eggs without any protein?

I think part of the problem is you have no macros entered for your homemade omelette.

tim
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Go look at your breakfast and tell me how you can have an omelette of two whole eggs without any protein?

I think part of the problem is you have no macros entered for your homemade omelette.

tim

Good point. There was milk and eggs in that omelette. Both have protein.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I"m not gonna read all your responses so I can just say real quick:

Switch out the brown rice for quinoa. Quinoa is a high protein grain, lower carbs and lower calories than brown rice. And it's whole grain!

(I see you already have eggs and protein shakes.Also, your protein is in the red, do you need more?)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Your omlete should have added 26 gs of protein, which have made your intake today over a hundred, which is something.

I like Greek Yogurts for my protein...none of that sugared down stuff (chobani, yoplait, etc. etc.), but Fage 0% Plain has 20g protein for 150 cals. Kinda sour but you can put some honey in it if you need to. Almonds are supposed to be a good source too (with the least amount of fat per protein for a nut).

But I am with you, I am always working to try to find more. :grumble:

From what I have read, pretty much NOOONE eats enough protein, bcause most people are supposed to have 0.8gs per lb of body weight....women who are trying to lose fat and tone are supposed to have anywhere from 1-1.2gs per pound of body weight. *sigh* so much to learn!!!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    Greek yogurt, tuna, chicken, peas, eggs, cheese sticks, whole grain breads, kashi Go lean cereal, Skinny lattes @ starbux have 13 grams! but that's for fun :wink:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    doh! I saw that just a few days ago you were eating quinoa.

Are you vegetarian????

I am,. And i struggle with the protein issue as well. I have my macros set to protein being 30% of my calories. The thing is, you are eating enough protein to be a healthy vegetarian as is. You really don't need that much. But you aren't eating enough if you want to build muscle. That's the problem. Are you weight training? If so, you have to up your protein to 30% (or so) of your daily caloric intake.

The only way I have pulled this off as a vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy (except cheese), is to have every day: some eggs, some tempeh, quinoa, and protein shakes. Honestly, there have been days I have had to drink TWO protein shakes to get it up there.

Good luck and feel free to add me if you want another vege protein obsessed pal!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    you can look at my diary. I get about +110g of protien without and protien bars/shakes.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    .8 to 1 gram of protein per pounds of lean body weight is usually a safe calculation. But it is not set in stone. Even if you are loosing weight and not gaining muscle protein is still important for maintaining the muscle you do have.

My wife uses Body Fortress Whey Isolate. So far that is the highest amount of protein per calorie that she has found. She makes a shake in the morning and then adds the powder to her coffees which adds up to about another scoop. That gives her 60 grams right there. The rest she gets from her diet.

It may be harder for you to do since you dont eat meat but there are sources of protein. Nuts are good but have a high fat content and can put you over on calories very fast. Beans, egg whites are a common way to get good protein. We also eat Barilla Plus pasta which has a lot of protein and Omega 3's

Good luck.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Little cans of tuna x
  • Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Here is a sample 1254 calorie diet with 116 grams pf protein that a personal trainer uses
    enjoy :-)

Nutrition:
    Calories: 1,254
    Fats: 30g
    Protein: 116g
    Carbs: 126.5g
    ======================

Meal 1:
    egg whites
    5 oz Calories: 74
    Fats: 0 g| Protein 15g| Carbs 1g

oatmeal
    1/3 cup Calories: 1
    Fats: 0g| Protein 1g| Carbs 6g

natural peanut butter
    1 tbsp Calories: 92
    Fats: 8g| Protein 4 g| Carbs 3g
    Protein 20g | Carbs 10g | Fat 8g | Calories 203
    ======================
    Meal 2:
    2% mozzarella cheese stick
    1 Calories: 80
    Fats: 5g| Protein 5g| Carbs 1g

brown rice
    1/3 cup Calories: 72
    Fats: 0g| Protein 2g| Carbs 15g

green apple
    1 Calories: 91
    Fats: 0g| Protein 0g| Carbs 24g
    Protein 20g | Carbs 10g | Fat 8g | Calories 203
    =======================
    Meal 3:
    extra lean turkey
    4 oz Calories: 101
    Fats: 0g| Protein 20g| Carbs 3g

brown rice
    1/2 cup Calories: 109
    Fats: 0g| Protein 2g| Carbs 23g

mixed veggies
    1 cup Calories: 61
    Fats: 0g| Protein 3g| Carbs 12g

mixed green salad
    2 cups Calories: 18
    Fats: 0g| Protein 2g| Carbs 4g
    Protein 27g | Carbs 42g | Fat 0g | Calories 289
    ========================
    Meal 4:
    Greek yogurt
    4 oz Calories: 90
    Fats: 0 g| Protein 10g| Carbs 13g

berries
    1/4 cup Calories: 21
    Fats: 0g| Protein 0g| Carbs 5g
    Protein 10g | Carbs 18g | Fat 0g | Calories 111
    ======================
    Meal 5:
    tilapia
    4 oz Calories: 109
    Fats: 2g| Protein 23g| Carbs 0g

mixed green salad
    2 cups Calories: 18
    Fats: 0g| Protein 2g| Carbs 4g

broccoli
    1 cup Calories: 27
    Fats: 0g| Protein 3g| Carbs 5g

almonds
    1 oz Calories: 168
    Fats: 15g| Protein 6g| Carbs 6g
    Protein 34g | Carbs 15g | Fat 17g | Calories 323
    =======================
    Meal 6:
    MRM 100% All Natural Whey (protein shake)
    1 scoop Calories: 85
    Fats: 0g| Protein 18g| Carbs 1.5g
    Protein 18g | Carbs 1.5g | Fat 0g | Calories 85
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I"m not gonna read all your responses so I can just say real quick:

Switch out the brown rice for quinoa. Quinoa is a high protein grain, lower carbs and lower calories than brown rice. And it's whole grain!

(I see you already have eggs and protein shakes.Also, your protein is in the red, do you need more?)

Cheers hun. This was posted yesterday when i was under on protein. I had rice today as was eating with the other half and he doesn't like quinoa (which i normally would eat) :) As i posted a few responses up, i'm OVER on protein today LOL.

Re the omelette - gosh i never even noticed!!!!! Teach me to simply add stuff from the database without checking it. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, pretty much NOOONE eats enough protein, bcause most people are supposed to have 0.8gs per lb of body weight....women who are trying to lose fat and tone are supposed to have anywhere from 1-1.2gs per pound of body weight.

Correction: 0.8 - 1.2 per KG (not lbs) of body weight (2.2 lbs in kg). :embarassed: