Feet Go Numb While Running

Options
13»

Replies

• abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Are they too small? I grew up playing soccer so my shoes were always super small, tight (i.e. 1/2 to 1 full size smaller than normal shoes I wore). When I went to get running shoes, we actually got about 1/2 size larger than I usually wear to accommodate.

I would think the store you got them at would allow you to exchange them since they fitted you for the shoes, so I would definitely try that. Have you had issues with numbness when you are walking in them? Does the numbness stop at all?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    -Larger size (I normally wear an 8.5, and wear a 9.5 in running shoes, a lot of times they will size you up by a half size at running stores, but I find I need the full size for when my feet swell
    -Running shoes with a bigger toe box has helped me a lot (and you may have a different issue, but you'll have to figure out what works for you)
    -Don't tie your laces very tight at all (only need to be tight enough to stay on your foot really, I barely have enough lace to tie on a knot on mine they are so loose)
    -Stretch your ankles calves beforehand (do a warm-up walk to loosen up your muscles, then stretch out your calves, ankles forward and back, then rotate them)

I tried all of the above and still got numb, stretching was the final thing that has helped. I have now never had numb feet after stretching beforehand.
  • swpletcher
    swpletcher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This same thing started happening to me about 6 years ago. I ignored it and tried to run through it. I've probably spent $1000 or more on new shoes after being told I was wearing the wrong shoe, tying my laces too tight, the usual responses. My numbness would show up right after I would start my run. Some runs were more uncomfortable than others and some times it didn't occur at all...long story short two years ago I was told I had tarsal tunnel and went through physical therapy. The PT discovered that the strength in my numb foot and leg was only about 30% of my good leg...wow! I battled it again for another year a half and then decided to see if a Chiro could help me. He said the same thing...I was losing strength capacity in that foot. At that point my balance was beginning to be effected...a Neuro confirmed that polyneuropathy through Nerve Conduction test. Now I'm just waiting to see why I have this...bottom line...if you are experiencing numbness and tingling in your feet, especially in your 1 and 2 toe and later have pain in your hips and buttocks you could be having some serious nerve damage issues. Don't ignore it.