Wisdom teeth removal...intravenous sedation...FREAKING OUT..

Options
sydney1984
sydney1984 Posts: 38 Member
Ok so tomorrow I am having all 4 wisdom teeth cut out, they are all impacted and I am going to have intravenous sedation. My question is , have any of you had the sedation and did you remember what happened?? I have a slight, or big anxiety problem with the dentist and am freaking out slightly..lol. Also how long did it take to recover and you were back to yourself, exercising, eating normal foods....etc?

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I had it when they removed 2 of mine. LOVED it. Seriously, they put it in and the next thing I knew they were waking me up because they were done. I don't remember falling asleep, I don't remember them doing ANYTHING.

The recovery about a week (?). I don't totally remember to be honest...I'm SUCH a baby when it comes to any pain in my mouth!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed mid January of this year. I'm also terrified of dental stuff, so I feel your pain.

I was waking up before I realized I had even been out, and was out of it for an hour or so afterwards. The sedation was the least horrible part of the surgery. The pain from the cuts wasn't that bad. The bleeding was gross... Putting gauze in the holes hurt quite a bit.

Recovery took me quite awhile, because the strain on my jaw joint gave me such horrible headaches I couldn't sleep at night. That doesn't happen to most people, though.

My bottom left jaw still hurts a little every once in awhile. =(

Make sure to ask your dentist for a plastic syringe so you can squirt food out of the holes after they've clotted. Otherwise you'll get a funky taste in your mouth. Also, don't use straws until you're healed. Dry socket is apparently the most agonizing thing ever.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't remember having intravenous sedation, but I was sedated... and I do not remember a freaking thing.... all I remember is blacking out and then waking up what felt like a few minutes (though I think it was 45 minutes) later... but I had easy peasy wisdom teeth... like wisdom teeth oral surgeons have wet dreams over... they came in straight like the other molars and they had the singular roots like the front teeth (as opposed to the molars) have.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The medicine really helps and is relaxing. I was a little loopy for a few days because that's how pain meds react with me. I was back to normal pretty quick and generally more irritated at the chipmunk cheeks I had, lol. It will be ok. :flowerforyou:
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You will be completely out once the sedation hits you.
  • sydney1984
    sydney1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me feel SOOOO much better!!!! Thankyou for all your responses!!!!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    just count yourself lucky that he's knocking you out. I was awake through the whole thing. i just about bit my dentists finger off because of the pain. lol

but it was about 1/3 of the cost compared to getting knocked out.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not being sedated is cheaper... but honestly, for people that freak out easily or are not sure about it all... it is SO worth it.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Call me a freak, but I LOVED getting this exact prodedure done! IV is popped in AND the drugs are soo nice. I had it done twice (dumb teeth), and both times, I woke up literally seeing everything in red and having crazy awesome dreams. I dunno. Wasn't scary, didn't hurt or anything afterwards, didn't even need the painkillers, just some aleve.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was soooo terrified about sedation when I got mine out. It was actually kinda fun. You fall asleep so fast, the nurse asked me to count back from 5. I think I got to 4. Afterwards I was very confused, but it was more like in a dream. Once the freezing came out it was back to reality though.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I was freaking out when I went as well (it was a good 8 years ago though, when I was only 15). Either way, they could tell how nervous I was so they gave me some gas to calm me down. Once I had that I was on cloud nine, I practically fell asleep before they could get the needle in. Afterwards, you're just sleepy, I wasn't even that sore. It isn't that bad at all and you will be fine. Think of how many wisdom teeth surgeries they do a day!

It took me about a week to get back to normal. mostly because when I got it done I was mega tiny and only weighed about 105 pounds. I had an adverse reaction to the meds they gave me, probably due to how skinny I was.
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    once they start the "drip" you wont remember much past 1-2-3 and then you get the best 2 hour nap youve had in a long time.. Personally ive had a few surgeries (was in a head on car accident 5 reconstructive surgeries later) the biggest problem I run into is my "filter" falls off .. The very last surgery I had I came out apparently going on and on about how HOTT the anesthesiologist (sp?) was. NOT a good thing LOL
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The anxiety is the worst part! You may have some grogginess for a while after, and maybe some pain. My dentist gave me some tylenol 3. Stay away from asprin/motrin/advil for a few days. Use cold cloths to help keep the swelling down, not ice. I had mine done 2 at a time, the first time I swelled up like a chipmunk. The second I had no swelling at all. If your dentist gives you antibiotics or tells you to rinse with anything but warm water or salt water make sure to get plenty of probiotics (yogurt or pills) to keep away thrush (mouth yeast infections). At worst 7 - 10 days of discomfort, at best 10 - 12 hours.

Good Luck!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ok so tomorrow I am having all 4 wisdom teeth cut out, they are all impacted and I am going to have intravenous sedation. My question is , have any of you had the sedation and did you remember what happened?? I have a slight, or big anxiety problem with the dentist and am freaking out slightly..lol. Also how long did it take to recover and you were back to yourself, exercising, eating normal foods....etc?

Thanks so much in advance!

I had 3 of the 4 out and had an IV sedation. It was pretty cool because I felt nothing but knew what was going on. Although walking afterwards was interesting; I still feel that I could've driven though. LOL
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The surgery and aftercare for my mouth weren't bad at all. I'd call it more discomfort than any actual pain. Just follow your surgeon's instructions for keeping the site clean, and you'll be just fine. I did however discover I don't react the best to sedatives. It took me almost two weeks to fully recover from the sedation. (Seriously, just nitrous puts me totally under. Anything stronger and I really don't want to wake up for a long, long time.)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I got the anesthesia and I was out in four seconds. I woke up and remember feeling really giddy (anesthesia does that to me). Back then, the song Live Your Life by Rihanna and T.I. was really popular and I sang the whole thing while lying in the recovery room.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I had 4 teeth removed on the right side of my jaw (2 wisdom teeth & 2 broken molars)...I had the IV sedation & it was fantastic! I don't remember anything except them waking me up when I was done. I was out of commission for about 2 days because of pain meds. After that, I was able to keep the discomfort under control with Advil & the occasional ice pack. I was paranoid about getting a dry socket; so I didn't try eating really crunchy foods for about week. But I was back on solid stuff within 3 or 4 days.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing, four impacted wisdom teeth. my doctor did intravenous sedation. i went to sleep and what seemed like a minute later i woke up, no memory of the procedure.. the only problem i had was a dry socket because i drank water thru a straw.. not supposed to do that.. or smoke..

you'll be fine.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I had all four of my removed when I was like 16 (when dinosaurs roamed the earth and acid washed jeans were cool). It was honestly no big deal. They give me some laughing gas and from that point on I was in NO PAIN. The next thing I know I am in the recovery area. My recovery was not so bad either.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The doctor will tell you to count back from 10, you'll get to maybe 8 and wake up a little while later feeling like someone punched you in the jaw! =P

The sedation is a wonderful thing but don't be surprised if your jaw is sore, you have some bruising along your jaw and you have a little pain. You may also be groggy and headachey after the sedation, make sure someone is there to drive you home.

Impacted wisdom teeth means that the teeth have not erupted, they are under the gum and usually wedged between the jawbone and another tooth. Which means that they have to "dig" to get them out, it's a much more involved procedure then if the teeth were erupted.

You won't feel anything during the procedure, I would take your pain medication as soon as possible after the procedure. Follow the doctors aftercare directions, no smoking, or sucking through a straw, you do not want to disturb the bloodclot/stitches or you can get a dry socket. If you feel pain that you think is worse then you should call the doctor, it may be a dry socket.

Good luck!