Is coffee really bad for you??

Options
I've been doing so good by staying away from "unhealthy food". However, I the one thing I miss the most is my morning coffee..

Help please;)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with coffee unless you're putting in a lot of 18% cream and sugar (and even then it's not the coffee that's the problem) or you're sensitive to caffeine (drink decaf).

Caffeine has a mildly diuretic effect but I'll give up my coffee when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.......
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    no its not bad for you
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    nothing at all wrong with coffee. for that matter, no food is really unhealthy. it's the amount you eat that makes it unhealthy.

(and, fwiw, a diuretic is anything that makes you take a 10-100. so .... water? yup. diuretic.)
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    nothing at all wrong with coffee. for that matter, no food is really unhealthy. it's the amount you eat that makes it unhealthy.

(and, fwiw, a diuretic is anything that makes you take a 10-100. so .... water? yup. diuretic.)

That's not true. A diuretic isn't just something that makes you pee. It's anything that makes you LOSE WATER at a faster rate by altering the absorption of or excretion of sodium.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

That's not true. A diuretic isn't just something that makes you pee. It's anything that makes you LOSE WATER at a faster rate by altering the absorption of or excretion of sodium.

well, if you wanna get all sciency about it, yeah, it's more complicated than making a trip to the little boys/girls room. but that's certainly a major component. and there was a study done that showed that retention for a drink with caffeine was 84 percent while water was 81 percent. statistically, near irrelevant. additionally, further study has shown that the more caffeine a person is used to drinking over time, the more they will retain from a caffeinated drink.
  • msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options
    I will give up anything, but god help anyone that stands in the way of me and my coffee:drinker:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Even if its bad for me.....I love love love my morning coffee. Gotta have it.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    If it is I don't want to be on the good side. I have mine twice a day and will kill others for even suggesting that I give up my coffee....:drinker:
  • janethjan
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :)

Really helped :)
  • CristaRae
    Options
    Can't get through the day without my morning coffee, so I'm glad to find out its not THAT bad :)
  • tryingvegan
    tryingvegan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For some people, coffee will increase your cholesterol. In the movie, "Forks over Knives" Dr. E says that coffee harms the inside of our arteries.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I won't give up my morning coffee, ever. Surely one a day can't be bad for you?!
  • pepper396
    pepper396 Posts: 33
    Options
    I Loooooove coffee... I am a coffee *kitten*! I like iced, hot, flavored, unflavored... and quite frankly if I do not eat or have desert adding cream sometimes to my coffee is my desert or something crazy at DUNKIN! I treat myself once in a while but now started making it at home... P.S. COFFEE ALSO MAKES YOU POO. NO JOKE, IT REALLY HELPS REGULATE YOU'RE SYSTEM! ;) FRIEND ME IF YOU ARE A COFFEE LOVER! WE CAN TALK1!!
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation :) you definitely don't have to give up all your coffee.
  • KP5555
    KP5555 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a bad day if I don't Have Coffee..... I need my morning Coffee... Very few Calories in coffee.
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee all day at work.

I take it black like my soul.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I gave up the caffeine but still have a cup of decaf at least once a week (usually more like 3 times a week) because I love coffee with eggs/toast/bacon. :) It's usually my treat after a big run.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I drink 4+ cups of black coffee everyday. Without it, I would die, so it has to be good for you. It saves lives.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    The caffeine is coffee is actually said to be a metabolism booster and offers other health benefits. However, this is black coffee, not coffee with creme and sugar.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Coffe has a lot of antioxidants in it that are really good for your body but that's drinking it black and only like 1-2 cups a day.