Avocados

Options
Avovados good for your diet. I know they have a lot of fat in them, but I've heard it is still good for you?

Replies

• lizfitmama
    Options
    Very good for you! Good fats! I use 1/2 an avocado on sandwich with tomato, also, I use it instead of miracle whip (mayo), with tuna, chicken, etc.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yes they are good for you. I was thinking of buying a couple today because they are high calorie and healthy, but decided against it. I don't eat avocados but I'm thinking maybe I should. I just don't know what to do with them except make guacamole. (although that does sound delicious)
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    avocados are my fav thing to eat when i need some cals, I like to dice them and put them in wraps with hummus and turkey deli, or make some rice and put crab-meat and cucumber and avocados and have deconstructed sushi :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Yes, they have good fats! And you need fats to be healthy. I love them, in a salad or a sandwich! Just use a quarter of one at a time.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    yes they are good for you. I was thinking of buying a couple today because they are high calorie and healthy, but decided against it. I don't eat avocados but I'm thinking maybe I should. I just don't know what to do with them except make guacamole. (although that does sound delicious)
    On wholegrain toast with slices of tomato and sea salt (and cracked pepper if you like it).
    Make a spread with finely sliced spring onion, lettuce juice (to stop browning) and cracked pepper.
    Add cubes to any salad.
    Blend into smoothies - they add creaminess but no real flavour.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Very good for you! Good fats! I use 1/2 an avocado on sandwich with tomato, also, I use it instead of miracle whip (mayo), with tuna, chicken, etc.

^^^^ this!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    So good and good for you! :smile:

I also use them in place of mayo on my sandwiches, slather them on toast or waffles in place of butter or syrup (really!), eat them with veggie burgers or veggie chicken nuggets, cut it up in salads, spread some on rice cakes... I really like avocado. I get them in bulk at Costco!

I even once had an avocado cheesecake and it was so creamy and delicious... yum!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Yes! They're very good for you! I love guacamole, but that's about it... so I add them to my protein shakes--makes them extra creamy and rich, but without adding the flavor. They are totally tasteless in the shake. :) (same with baby spinach, btw--undetectable, but full of good stuff)
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    I eat a lot of chili since it is so filling and healthy and low in calories and cheap to make and easy. I love avocado on my chili.

I also like a bagel with cream cheese and slices of avocado (but I don't have that much anymore).

I put them on my salad.

Three cheers for avocado!
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made an awesome fruit (yes, avocado is a fruit!) salad with avocado, strawberries and green grapes! Delicious! I highly suggest :D
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I love avocados before they start turning black or get rancid or both. I actually prefer them when they are just soft enough to peel. I just eat them by themselves. I've been buying the small organic ones so I don't eat too much at a time. Avocados are the best fat you can eat!

They are rich in potassium (higher than bananas)
    High in Vitamin K- (allows your blood to clot normally, and helps to protect your bones)
    Fairly high in the B-Complex Vitamins,
    Contains Vitamin A, C, E, and,
    Are rich in magnesium, iron, calcium and other trace minerals
    http://diaryofanutritionist.com/2010/03/29/the-avocado-a-healthy-fat/
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love eating avocados with anything and everything!!

-spread on stoned wheat thins with a few thin slices of cheese

-spread on toast with a fried egg on top for breakfast

-chopped up on top of a salad

-guacamole!!!

-sliced with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and I'll just eat them as is

-spread like mayo in any kind of sandwich...I like turkey or black bean burgers.

-I had to add that my new favorite combo is avocado and goat cheese!! spread on toast or crackers, eat with egg...I'm sure I would enjoy it with anything lol
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I'm so glad someone started a thread about avocados! I love them and they are SO good for you! The fat content is good fat that can actually help you lose weight! I eat half an avocado drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice, cracked black pepper, and sea salt once a day as a meal. It keeps you full for a long time due the fat content. I wish more people knew how nutritious avocados were:flowerforyou:
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Avocados are healthy if eaten in moderation! My favorite way is to use half a small avocado mashed with a tsp of mayo and a Tbsp of salsa, I spread this on a good whole wheat toast, add cucumber slices, thin tomato slices, alfalfa sprouts, and spinach leaves. Such a tasty sandwich, very filling and ever so tasty. mmmmmm
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Moderation, schmoderation. I ate a whole one yesterday. If it fits in your calories and macros, go for it.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I say moderation because to me they are just so good i could eat them all day long. I can easily eat 4 or more of them in a day! Hence the used in moderation.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love avocado. Will try replacing my marg and butter on toast with avocado.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Add to scrambled eggs--YUMMMM!
  • RobertaKR
    RobertaKR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    And high in fibre too! (as well as everything listed in the quote below.:smile:
  • RobertaKR
    RobertaKR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love avocados ...
    ...They are rich in potassium (higher than bananas)
    High in Vitamin K- (allows your blood to clot normally, and helps to protect your bones)
    Fairly high in the B-Complex Vitamins,
    Contains Vitamin A, C, E, and,
    Are rich in magnesium, iron, calcium and other trace minerals