Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Cleavage
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm an HR student, so I'm going to be the interviewer someday!

A few tips:

1. As a few people have stated: ASK QUESTIONS! Have at least 1-2 in mind, if not more. Employers think you're not that attached to the position if you don't ask.

2. Don't be afraid to pause and think about the answer to a question! I typically repeat the question aloud that I'm pondering, so they realize I'm putting actual thought into it. Taking your time WILL NOT HURT you, and most interviewers are relieved that they get a second to catch up on their notes.

3. Confident, yet humble. Don't get cocky :P

I could go on, and on, and on!
  • booyatribe
    Options
    Google job interview tips. there are lots of great resources out there and questions you can ask. be confident and good luck.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When you check out the company's website, write down their Mission, Vision, and Core Values if they are displayed there. Then really think about how you can work into the interview aspects of your personality and work ethic that mirror these company values. Also, as an interviewer I look for well rounded applicants, so be sure to mention any charitible work or volunteering you might be involved in, and any non-business accomplishments you may have achieved (community involvement, Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, civic organizations, etc.) .

Good luck!
  • aNEWmarcus
    Options
    Firstly GOOD LUCK.. It is tough out there, so you need to show why you are unique and they NEED to hire you.

You have roughly 2-3minutes in the first stage to build rapport with the interviewer - to make them feel at ease with you, but also to establish a connection. If you have researched the company and there is some recent news you can mention that or if you spot something in their office that might be of interest, the weather is a simple one, but still opens up discussion.

1. Do your research
    Fail to plan, and you plan to fail. You are certain to be asked specific questions about the company, so make sure you've done your homework on things like their last year's profits and latest product launches. Also take a look at the latest developments in the industry so you can converse with confidence.

2. Practice your answers
    Although there is no set format that every job interview will follow, there are some questions that you can almost guarantee will crop up. You should prepare answers to some of the most common interview questions about your personal strengths and weaknesses, as well as being able to explain why you would be the best person for the job.

3. Look the part
    Appearances shouldn't matter, but the plain fact is that you are often judged before you've even uttered a word. Make sure your shoes are polished, your clothes fit correctly and that your accessories are subtle. Dressing one level above the job you're applying for shows a desire to succeed.

4. Stay calm
    Good preparation is the key to staying in control. Plan your route, allowing extra time for any unexpected delays, and get everything you need to take with you ready the night before. Remember to speak clearly, smile and remember that your interviewers are just normal people, and the may be nervous too!.

5. Ask questions
    You should always have some questions for your interviewer to demonstrate your interest in the position. Prepare a minimum of five questions, some which will give you more information about the job, and some which delve deeper into the culture and goals of the company.

Here's an interesting article about the Top Tips that aren't mentioned:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/interviewing-top-tips-mentions/story?id=12032696

Again - GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Cleavage... everybody likes a little cleavage, it works believe it or not. It may sound trite and sexist but its basic animal magnatism. I once interviewed two ladies for the same job and the girl that got the job had the best cleavage. I think we used the term "hooker boobs" in conversations about her. And believe it or not, she was a rock star in performance and effort. She was a great employee.
  • simonsaysso
    simonsaysso Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just helped interview for my successor so I can try to give you a few tips:
    1. Research the company. Very important. It was surprising to me that people that worked for us and wanted a promotion didn't do this and actually did not know very much about the rest of the company other than their own current job.
    2. Be confident. You are there to sell yourself not to be modest about your qualifications. A firm handshake is important.
    3. We gave people a computer test on excel. Nothing too complex - the data set was already entered. Completing it wasn't as important on how they handled it. One interviewee actually stood up and asked the secretary for us to come back because she didn't know how to do it.
    4. Be honest. We wanted to know people goals not to see if they were going to leave but if they had the want and the drive to do more if supervisory spots open up. Telling us you want a 9 to 5 job did not go over well.

I hope these help!
    Good Luck!
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just went through this myself, I feel your pain. I'm sure I'm just repeating what someone else has said, but...
    First off, be yourself. If you sound like you've practiced the answers too much, they're not going to feel like they got a good idea of who you are. Have a conversation if you can. I interviewed with small companies and was able to get a good feel for the one, two, or three people interviewing me. On top of having legitimate answers, they want to make sure your personality will blend with the rest of the team.
    Ask questions. Once I started doing this, I could see employers get caught off guard and then look a little impressed. "Where do you see this position going?" or something like that. Used that a couple times and was happy to hear the answers.
    I'm trying to remember some of the questions I was asked (I blacked out a majority of the interviews):
    - Give an example of a time you struggled. How did you resolve it?
    - What are your strengths? Weaknesses? (Always turn what could easily be a negative response into a postive one, without sounding like a kiss-*kitten*)
    - What could you bring to this position?
    - What do you think makes you different from the other candidates?
    Oh, and have answers ready for any lapses between job. What did you do with your time off, etc.? And bring extra copies of your resume in case there are other people in the interview who might not have it - that helped a couple times.

Good luck! It's a numbers game (so many people told me that), unfortunately, but soon it'll work out. Just be yourself, smile, and you'll be just fine.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Cleavage... everybody likes a little cleavage, it works believe it or not. It may sound trite and sexist but its basic animal magnatism. I once interviewed two ladies for the same job and the girl that got the job had the best cleavage. I think we used the term "hooker boobs" in conversations about her. And believe it or not, she was a rock star in performance and effort. She was a great employee.

I'm not even going to touch that. But, if your interviewer is a woman, it could easily go the other direction.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Be confident, YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!! Look them in the eye and tell them why they need you!!!
  • simonsaysso
    simonsaysso Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here are some questions I asked when interviewing for my successor.

1. What would you like to be doing in 5 years?
    Of course we wanted to know career-wise but you would be surprised what people say.
    2. What is your dream job?
    3. A what-if scenario-
    If a coach from the school calls the business office and wants to know where his soccer uniforms are and the season starts next week - what would you do? (There is no one right answer but here are some things people might say: getting the paperwork, calling the supplier and seeing if they got the order, contacting the delivery service, etc..)
    4. I looked at their resumes and usually asked them questions about items they had on there- like why are you leaving your current job, you have a cert in this - why? - etc.
    5. Google interview questions - thats what I did as the person asking the questions.

Other people said this too - but ask questions! I told people they would be replacing me so I was expecting more job specific questions but didn't really get many.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Be confident. Have some knowldege about the company and the job you are interviewing for...Dress appropriately...No excessive jewelry...light on make up. SMILE....... Shake hands....remember to thank person for the interview....remember your manners..
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much!! The job interview went great!!! I think it is the best one I've ever had. I have to wait until the background check goes through (which is about two weeks), but they were already talking to me about my work schedule!!!!:noway: Huh?
    Yahoo!!!!!:wink:
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    All of you are awesome!!!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great to hear that it went so well. I'll check back to see how it goes :)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey wow, glad to hear it went well!!! Please keep us posted! XD
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    good job! keep us posted!!!