Anti-Depressants- How I Gained My Weight

Options

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean it is so much easier for men to lose weight, no fair! And us women we have to eat like damn birds and the weight can be stubborn so then we exercise and we lose a pound. My partner can lose up to 2kg a week! but I have to like sweat my guts out just to lose a damn pound! Grrrrr
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Is it usual to take antidepressants for a break-up? Am just curious .... I know breakups can cause real pain, but antidepressants seem a significant step ... to me??

Sean
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I went to my doc about depression a few months ago, and she gave me an rx for Celexa. No problem. But I was talking to a friend that day and his suggestion was that I start working out and losing weight BEFORE I started the pills. Glad I did. The pills are still sitting at the pharmacy waiting.

Birth control was a big source of my weight gain.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. A few years ago I was going through my divorce and my doctor put me on zoloft to help me with my depression and anxiety issues. I gained about 40 pounds in a year. I am now off depression meds (yay!) and am close to losing those 40lbs and working on new goals. Hang in there!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've been taking antidepressants for years and switching to paxil really messed me up, then when I switched to cymbalta, I didn't gain anymore, but I couldn't lose the weight, no matter how hard I tried. Once I tapered off, my weight slowly went down, I feel great being off of them, and take herbal supplements instead. Anyway, if I skip a dose of my herbals there are no fatal side affects that are potential when you skip a dose of a pharmaceutical. Good for you!
  • loricomplex
    loricomplex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    same thing started my weight problems, and i almost wonder if all the meds i have taken over the years have long term effects on my body because its just a lot harder now to lose, and super easy for me to gain. plus, i was on one that stimulated appetite once. looking back, i think it was insane. i was pretty young, and not underweight at all.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My story is similar.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Is it usual to take antidepressants for a break-up? Am just curious .... I know breakups can cause real pain, but antidepressants seem a significant step ... to me??

Sean

As mentioned, I had always had anxiety and bouts of depression. This break-up was the last straw in what I could handle. I don't think I need to go too far into detail about my life, but like eveyone else's, it isn't easy.
    Now I'm in a much better mental state. I no longer take them.

MIND OVER MATTER!
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have been on antidepressants since I was a child, I managed to lose weight quite fast on fad diets but now I am doing a proper diet it is going so slow. So many hurdles!
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants don't make you fat. Over eating does.

Im sure you're the subject matter expert, huh? give me a break
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I was on anti-depressants in the past I LOST 15 pounds. As a psych major, my personal belief is that it is the lifestyle and mental health issues that causes the weight gain (coping with food, alcohol, laying in bed all day, not exercising, lack of motivation for anything) NOT the actual medication.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I will say that guys SUCK! My husband just went on them about 6 months ago and didn't gain one pound! He eats fast food like no other and even had chocolate iced donuts for breakfast yesterday and doesn't gain anything.... Whatever.
    [/quote]

I know, and then when they go to lose weight, they lose a lot, and they do it super-fast.
    Which is just more proof that it's way harder to be a woman! Which is why we are tougher and stronger.
    Girl power, as my seven-year-old daughter would say!
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options
    Personally, when I was on anti-depressants I LOST 15 pounds. As a psych major, my personal belief is that it is the lifestyle and mental health issues that causes the weight gain (coping with food, alcohol, laying in bed all day, not exercising, lack of motivation for anything) NOT the actual medication.

Like I said, I tried to work it off to no avail.
    Everyone is affected differently.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ...it is the lifestyle and mental health issues that causes the weight gain (coping with food, alcohol, laying in bed all day, not exercising, lack of motivation for anything) NOT the actual medication.

Exactly.
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options
    ...it is the lifestyle and mental health issues that causes the weight gain (coping with food, alcohol, laying in bed all day, not exercising, lack of motivation for anything) NOT the actual medication.

Exactly.

Once again, everyone is affected differently. Medication of all kinds can really screw up someone's weight. Guess you all are just lucky :)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I was on anti-depressants I LOST 15 pounds. As a psych major, my personal belief is that it is the lifestyle and mental health issues that causes the weight gain (coping with food, alcohol, laying in bed all day, not exercising, lack of motivation for anything) NOT the actual medication.

I was in the Marines, working in aviation... worked my butt off every day, climbing and crawling on aircraft, heavy lifting etc. etc. I still gained weight. I had previously weighed 120 before paxil and still maintained a clean diet. It was horrible. I feel your pain!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I'm happy that you've lost weight though and learned how to manage your life without the drugs! :flowerforyou: I just don't understand why people point fingers at medication for making them gain weight when it can be more related to lifestyle and health---> not necessarily your situation, but the ones that gain 100 pounds or so and blame the antidepressants when it is evident it was their lifestyle due to their mental condition.

Exercise is the BEST antidepressant :smile:
  • YummyTpn
    Options

I am a counsellor in private practice, and have been working in this field for 12 years. As well, I"ve been on/off antidepressants for years. So, I've been around a lot of people on a lot of different antidepressants.

I'm glad to hear that your experience on antidepressants didn't case you weight gain. Hopefully, you had 15 pounds to lose when that happened!

Actually, some antidepressants DO cause weight gain, to no fault of the user. Yes, lifestyle plays a part, and this may be true in SOME cases, but not all. I've seen too many people gain weight on certain antidepressants, and it's usually the same antidepressants that are to blame. As well, I consult with psychiatrists and it's an accepted fact that some antidepressant medication CAN cause weight gain in SOME people. It's an individual thing though, and for the most part it's trial and error on the part of the doctor, as they don't know exactly how a person is going to respond to what he/she is prescribed.

So I respectfully disagree with you on this point!
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options
    Fingers ARE pointed at the medication because I was leading a healthy lifestyle before and during (lost 10lbs shortly before) and gained weight only AFTER I started taking the medication.

And it seems that other users here who were on the same medication as me, Celexa, experienced the same.
  • YummyTpn
    Options
    I am wondering if anti depressants are preventing me from weight loss? I'm on fluexotine and although I've not heard or anyone gaining weight because if it I believe it may be one of the factors as well as PCOS. I eat a diet rich in vegetables and fruit - not fair!

Yes, they can prevent you from losing weight. Consult with your doctor, there may be a better option for you.