I would love to become a Jogger/Runner - where do I even sta

Options
I would love to just be able to go jogging but I have a really hard time jogging at the weight I am now - I get so winded so fast that I feel like I cant breathe....

How did you all get started? How did you overcome the obstacles?

Replies

• Allisonnleigh
    Allisonnleigh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try the c25k! I hate running and that's what I do it helps keep you paced really well, good luck!(:
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have heard fantastic things about the couch25k program. I have a friend through the social network Daily Mile who lost 100 pounds and started couch25k - and did an iron-man within a year! (an article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/weight-loss-success-mark-d-rucker_n_1224275.html)

I started before hearing about it - started out from my front door 10 minutes out and 10 minutes in. Worked up to a marathon. It is addictive. Listen to your body and never push. Pain means no gain when it comes to running. Be kind to yourself.

Join Daily Mile (or a similar community).
  • craigmdean1974
    Options
    What I have recommended for other people is to just go out and jog for what you can and walk the rest. Don't worry about distance, speed, time or anything. And the next time you go out, see if you can jog a little farther. Listen to your body. If you are winded, cramping or any part of your body is hurting then slow down or stop. It is not worth it in the long run. Think of this as a long journey. I started off not being able to run 1/8 of a mile without stopping and it took me a good 6 months to get to a full mile without stopping. That was 2 years ago, and now I am about to run my first half marathon.
  • jennwar874
    Options
    YES! The C25K is great. I'm doing it now and I'm on week 5. If you are feeling winded maybe modify it a little, for instance jog 45 seconds then walk 30 seconds or more if you need it at first. The program is all about building up stamina. I could hardly breathe after the first 90 seconds I ran, I thought OMG I can't do this, now I can run for 5 minutes and I get excited to get out there.
  • MDA1540
    MDA1540 Posts: 2
    Options
    Parroting the C25k response. I'm on week 5 right now and it's been great for me. Even though the pace has been increasing (originally 1 minute, now 5 minutes) I don't feel any more tired than I did when I first started.

I even managed a straight 21 minutes yesterday at 5mph on the treadmill, which is a huge improvement from where I started. I'm curious to see how that translates to my street running.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great program.
    And, no smart-allecness intended, the best way is to go out and put one foot in front of another, then repeat..
    Somebody told me that on here, and I am now routinely running 30 minutes at a time.
    Good luck to you!
  • nateraemom
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here. Would LOVE to train for a marathon one day. Just unsure of where to start. I'm looking at the couch to 5k program also.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I started by just going out and doing it. When I felt I couldn't run any more, I walked until I could run again. Repeat until you've achieved your goal for the day.

Good running shoes helped a LOT.

For me, I love running at night, with my Ipod. Like I'm the only person in the world...flying along in the dark.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I hear amazing things about c25k, I just started by walking 1 block running 1 block etc-in 6 wks I am now ready for a 5k which I have on the 21st. I am addicted!
  • aNEWmarcus
    Options
    Try the c25k! I hate running and that's what I do it helps keep you paced really well, good luck!(:
    This.. The C25K will really help you start off and provide some great advice..

There's also an Idiot's guide - actually quite good, even for someone like me who used to be a runner years ago:
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Jogging-Running/dp/002862386X

And this may also help:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/the-total-beginners-quick-guide-to-running/24.html

Good luck
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, C25k is a good start.

I also recommend to push through the hate, and trust me, you will get to the point that you hate it and want to stop, make yourself keep going, the hate will turn to love then you will get that runners endorphin high that is so AMAZING. Now it does not happen over night so just be kind to yourself. But what ever you do, do not quit.

Now, time for my run and I am super excited for it. :love:
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I too would love to become a jogger. My problem is I am so self-conscious and don't want anybody driving by to see me jogging. And I hate treadmills. HATE TREADMILLS!! plus, I don't have one and will not spend money on one. I would jog on the flat area between my back yard and my grandfather's hay field, but I'm afraid of divots in the grass I don't see, therefore twisting my ankle.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    What I have recommended for other people is to just go out and jog for what you can and walk the rest. Don't worry about distance, speed, time or anything. And the next time you go out, see if you can jog a little farther. Listen to your body. If you are winded, cramping or any part of your body is hurting then slow down or stop. It is not worth it in the long run. Think of this as a long journey. I started off not being able to run 1/8 of a mile without stopping and it took me a good 6 months to get to a full mile without stopping. That was 2 years ago, and now I am about to run my first half marathon.

^^Just like I started.....so this^ apart from I've been running for a good 6 years now! Go and do it but above all sincerly hope you enjoy it! I LOVE RUNNING!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Yup, C25K. Once you complete it, you'll be surprised that you couldn't run before. I know I am.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    C25K all the way! When I started I needed to use my inhaler a LOT, now I can run (not fast, but it's still running) without even taking my inhaler out with me! xD

I HATED running before, push through that - it becomes addictive! I've popped my C25K experience into a blog if you want to know any more :)
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well I have asthma really bad but after having my son I decided I was going to start running/jogging. So I did just that loaded him in the stroler and headed out that first day was crazyness..... I ran maybe 500 feet and was about to frickin die.....But you know I keep at it and no matter what the next day I would run 1 step farther than I had the day before. In about 3 months I was running a MILE!!!! In 6 months I was running 2!!! Now I can run....5!!!! Just keep it up!!!! And your body will adjust!!!
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE running and had never run more than a mile in my life. I started with couch to 5K two years ago and have now completed three half marathons... it really is just a great program to get active and get into the habit! And I did not fall in love with running right away, it was probably only a year ago that I actually started to enjoy it. For me, it helped to sign up for a race as motivation. I knew I had paid the registration fee and I better be able to run it!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Do the Couch to 5 K Program! (google it and also if you have a smart phone look for c25k apps).

But even as you do it remember to PACE YOURSELF. GO SLOW. REALLY REALLY SLOW.

Snails will probably run past you laughing their *kitten* off but you have to start this way to get your body into it. Slow and steady start and you'll be a runner in NO time.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Best running advice I ever got - run INFINITELY slower than you ever have. I did that and went out and completed a mile non-stop. Normally, I wasn't able to run more than 2 minutes. Now, I've completed 2 half marathons and am positively addicted to running!