I would love to become a Jogger/Runner - where do I even sta

Options

Replies

• valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I too would love to become a jogger. My problem is I am so self-conscious and don't want anybody driving by to see me jogging. And I hate treadmills. HATE TREADMILLS!! plus, I don't have one and will not spend money on one. I would jog on the flat area between my back yard and my grandfather's hay field, but I'm afraid of divots in the grass I don't see, therefore twisting my ankle.

It's amazing how many ppl will start running after they see you trying or that how it has been for me there has been 6 ppl in my town or little area that have started running I guess they think if she can do it so can I!!!! So you may inspire someone and not even know it! :D
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    One more vote for the C25K. It will get you there, I went from not running 200 yards to completing a half marathon using this program.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    4 years ago, I did C25k. I went from a not being a runner to completing my second 1/2 marathon a week ago. Now, I'm onto a marathon this fall.
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I will definitely have to try the couch to 5k program!

I realize a lot of it is in my head too lol

i know one thing though - I will need a LOT of motivation - so I am glad all of you are here to help out!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    when I started running years ago I could barely make it 2 minutes without feeling like I was going to die. I just kept at it and added 30 secs each day. Now I run 6.2 miles daily. Getting ready for my first half-marathon on June 2nd.
  • Actuality
    Actuality Posts: 33
    Options
    What I have recommended for other people is to just go out and jog for what you can and walk the rest. Don't worry about distance, speed, time or anything. And the next time you go out, see if you can jog a little farther. Listen to your body. If you are winded, cramping or any part of your body is hurting then slow down or stop. It is not worth it in the long run. Think of this as a long journey. I started off not being able to run 1/8 of a mile without stopping and it took me a good 6 months to get to a full mile without stopping. That was 2 years ago, and now I am about to run my first half marathon.

Love it.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I run! Well attempt to ;)

I started not being able to go more that like 30 seconds haha
    I go walking with the dogs and do running then brisk walking then running then brisk walking.. each time I do running I can do it slightly longer. I can do 5 minutes now haha :P One day I'll be able to do a full hour or something :D
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    1. Pick a good training program. I've heard good things about Couch to 5k.
    2. Go to a running shoe store and get properly fitted for shoes.
    3. Keep a log of your daily runs for motivation/training. Strava and Running Ahead are both good.
    4. Have fun and good luck! See you on the road!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I am going to repeat what everyone else has said, C25K. I started that way 2 years ago and I am running my first half marathon next weekend. Sign up for a 5K to motivate yourself. Also, when you start on the program do your running intervals really, really slowly. Make sure you are running slow enough that you can complete the amount of time for the running bits. That might be so slow that you feel like you could walk faster. That 's okay, you can work on speed later. If a week seems really difficult for you, repeat that week before moving on to the next one. You have time, so take the time to build up slowly so that you don't injure yourself. Good luck!
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    I would love to just be able to go jogging but I have a really hard time jogging at the weight I am now - I get so winded so fast that I feel like I cant breathe....

How did you all get started? How did you overcome the obstacles?

I know women who have an easy 40lbs on me and can kick my *kitten* at running.

Don't limit yourself and ur abilities... I know thin ppl who can't even run half a Km without dying.

Try a Couch 2 5K app on ur phone if you can. They help you progress to running a full 5K. If you can't do that, there are a TON of sites that have similar systems online that do the same thing. You can also sign up for a Running Clinic. Those are great for the social aspect. You could end up meeting new running friends who are learning to run just like you.

Good luck to you! :)
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice, I was wondering about this too!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You don't have to start jogging right away. You can start by walking at a pace that's comfortable, and then go for faster speeds, until you can eventually run/walk in turns, like 2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, that sort of thing.

Go invest in a good pair of shoes. Seriously. Your feet will thank you.

Set a goal for yourself. The best way to get motivated to start something is to hold yourself accountable. Find a 5K somewhere in the next few months, sign up, pay for it, and then get going. Once you lay down the money, you'll probably be more likely to get going.

Good luck! :)
  • Actuality
    Actuality Posts: 33
    Options
    I did a bootcamp last year. I hate running. But we had to run 1/4 of a mile each morning for the first week.. then 2/4 of a mile the second.. the 3/4 the third and so on and so on. I can NOT BELIEVE how much I did it.. without stopping.. and actually enjoyed it!!

Now I have slacked off and I intend to use the same concept. No C2k for me.. too much to think about.. just going to do it and increase weekly...

Tip: Just as everyone said.. listen to your body. I found that if I ran to fast I got too winded and wanted to stop. If I kept a good slow pace I was comfortable... but had a great workout. The end of it is liberating!

Good luck! I will be there with you as I am starting over too :)
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know i like this post/thread...i was on the track team in HS and was in shape...i really like running but not @ the weight i am now..i was a sprinter not long distance..but what i am trying to say is you gotta work yourself into it dont hurt your self..when i even was in shape i could not run the 1 mile in high school and like you said i would get short of breath i just dont get my body at times..but i gotta try couch to running 2.5 ... sounds like fun...
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1. Pick a good training program. I've heard good things about Couch to 5k.
    3. Keep a log of your daily runs for motivation/training. Strava and Running Ahead are both good.
    4. Have fun and good luck! See you on the road!

^This^
    And I just had to learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. Felt like I couldn't breathe, but I was. I didn't die. I just found out that's the way my body feels when I do this stuff and learned how to handle it.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    What I have recommended for other people is to just go out and jog for what you can and walk the rest. Don't worry about distance, speed, time or anything. And the next time you go out, see if you can jog a little farther. Listen to your body. If you are winded, cramping or any part of your body is hurting then slow down or stop. It is not worth it in the long run. Think of this as a long journey. I started off not being able to run 1/8 of a mile without stopping and it took me a good 6 months to get to a full mile without stopping. That was 2 years ago, and now I am about to run my first half marathon.

^This! That is the approach I have taken, and I now am running 5k without stopping (after only 3 - 4 months).
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are there special shoe stores for jogging shoes, or can you just go to say a store like The Shoe Dept? If there are special stores, I have absolutely no idea where to get proper running shoes where I live, and The Shoe dept. is the only shoe store left in my area, Famous Footwear closed up at my local mall. I have Dunham's Sports I can try. But I have no idea where to start with running shoes...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Most important advice in the history of wanting to be a runner.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I started Couch to 5k this week! One more day left before I move on to Week 2.
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I too would love to become a jogger. My problem is I am so self-conscious and don't want anybody driving by to see me jogging. And I hate treadmills. HATE TREADMILLS!! plus, I don't have one and will not spend money on one. I would jog on the flat area between my back yard and my grandfather's hay field, but I'm afraid of divots in the grass I don't see, therefore twisting my ankle.

Try the local YMCA or school where there is an enclosed track or a track behind the school and not so "out in public"