Would like to share my research with you...

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on types and dosages of pre- and pro-biotics? I'm ready to shop.

So far there are no recommended doses as only one probiotic that I know of is backed by the FDA; they are used in inflammatory bowel diseases and dose anywhere from 200-900 billion cells per day. But generally you need 25-35 grams of fiber per day, and should buy probiotics that contain multiple strains of bacteria and at least 1 billion cells per capsule.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Interestingly enough last summer I had to take probiotics (combination of pre and pro biotics in a capsule form) due to a course of heavy antibiotics. I started losing weight without even trying. I lost about 6lb in the course of 2 months and I felt much better as far as my stomach and digestive system go. I was sure it had something to do with the good bacteria and it seems a lot of research I could find on google scholar confirmed that. What you are saying confirms it once again, thank you for sharing!

That's great to hear! Since I've been taking probiotics and flax I have been more 'regular', not at all bloated, and have lost weight linearly. I take 10 billion per day in 2 capsules.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Weren't you originally doing work on mTOR and the likes?

Yea, and I actually still have all that tissue hah! I had two projects but the probiotic one has taken over my LIFE. I work on the mTOR stuff on the side when I can but have 'donated' that to a post-doc who needs a publication asap. Now I am collaborating with two labs on more probiotics stuff in humans and more mice and doing two MORE cohorts of mice on an 8 week study by myself....already have four cohorts from a 4-week study. The company just keeps sending us more money!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    In terms of fat and sugar, how high is "high?"

Studies usually use anywhere from a 45-60% saturated fat diet and sucrose varies. Our diet has 360g sucrose per kg of food.

So what's the clinical relevance? To get a diet a diet with that amount of SFA, a persons diet would have to consist of just about all red meat.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Your intestines are packed with multiple trillions of bacteria. Every person has a different profile of bacteria, just like a finger print. When you were born, you had none, but as you were exposed to bacteria during birth and for the 2 years following, your gut became 'colonized'. These bacteria are your 'gut microbiome'.
    Is there a way to better start your baby off to have the best results later? Proactiveness?

Babies who are born vaginally to a mother with good bacteria, and then breastfed, generally have better bacterial colonization. C-section delays colonization by up to a month.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough last summer I had to take probiotics (combination of pre and pro biotics in a capsule form) due to a course of heavy antibiotics. I started losing weight without even trying. I lost about 6lb in the course of 2 months and I felt much better as far as my stomach and digestive system go. I was sure it had something to do with the good bacteria and it seems a lot of research I could find on google scholar confirmed that. What you are saying confirms it once again, thank you for sharing!

That's great to hear! Since I've been taking probiotics and flax I have been more 'regular', not at all bloated, and have lost weight linearly. I take 10 billion per day in 2 capsules.

What brand of probiotics do you take , if you don't mind sharing??
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I have been a type 1 diabetic for 37 years - does this mean I am doomed?

No at all! T1D is quite different from T2D. I still think you could benefit (as could anyone) but there is less research on T1D since yours is more of an immune disorder than a metabolic disorder.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. However....now I'm going to have to resist the urge to blame my weight management...or lack thereof at time.... on those dang bacteria. lol

LOL I still do sometimes! ;)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    For those of us who were bottle babies, can you recommend a good start to enhance our good bacteria?

No different from anyone else really. After the age of 2 you're colonized as fully as everyone else, just with different bacteria. Lots of fiber for the bacteria to ferment, and a good probiotic. :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thanks for this information. I never heard of a lot that you mentioned. I did learn the hard way not to take TUMS (popping them ) on a regular basis for indigestion since all my good digestive bacteria got destroyed as a result. Then I had to take digestive eznzymes full of good bacteria for about 6 months until my digestive system got back into working order. Now I take these digestive enzymes once every couple of weeks instead of 3 X/day like I had been to keep these good bacteria going.........Carol

That's interesting! I bet the Tums messed up the pH of your intestines. Really acidic intestines are better because that prevents bad bacterial overgrowth.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You're a great teacher - took something complicated and really made it easy to understand.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much! :) Great to hear that as I'm planning to become a professor.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Hi, thankyou! Are you able to recommend anything for PCOS sufferers?

I'm not really familiar with the specifics of PCOS unfortunately. I focus on obesity and insulin resistance. I do know that PCOS sufferers are often insulin resistant, but I don't know the mechanism of the disease. But I think fiber is good for anyone! :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Really interesting thank you! So if your LPS is getting out and changing your muscle metabolisingness (not a word, but it works) the only way to reverse that is to eat more foods that contain the "good" bacteria?

Eating a healthy diet overall is important (which we are all doing! yay!). Eating a lot of fiber is good because certain bacteria will ferment it to fatty acids, which are acidic. The acidic environment prevents bad bacteria from growing. Also, the intestinal cells can use the fatty acids for energy to stay strong. Probiotics help enhance your gut with more good bacteria. Together they can all reduce the amount of LPS that gets into your system.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thank you! You're using a mouse model? How do you measure the effect of various agents on the growth of the bacteria (good and bad)? Also, I realize you said high dose pre/probiotics are helpful in maintaining a healthy balance, but is there any effect to getting your bacteria from a natural source (such as yogurt)?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Very interesting. Thank you! You're using a mouse model? How do you measure the effect of various agents on the growth of the bacteria (good and bad)? Also, I realize you said high dose pre/probiotics are helpful in maintaining a healthy balance, but is there any effect to getting your bacteria from a natural source (such as yogurt)?

Yes I have used mice for my past four groups. About 80 mice total. This summer I will be working with humans, plus about 50 more mice. I'm so sick of mice! :laugh:

Getting your probiotics in dairy is good because they're more protected from the acidic environment of your stomach during digestion. But, you're not getting as large a dose as you would with a capsule. Capsules are generally coated anyway. As with other supplements, I believe you get what you pay for in probiotics. They should be multistrain, >1 billion per capsule, and coated. That said, yogurt and cultured dairy is still great for you.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    Yes I have used mice for my past four groups. About 80 mice total. This summer I will be working with humans, plus about 50 more mice. I'm so sick of mice! :laugh:

Dude, for one of my experiments, I counted something like 100,000 fruit flies. You think mice are bad.... Also, mice are likely more cooperative than humans.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Dude, for one of my experiments, I counted something like 100,000 fruit flies. You think mice are bad.... Also, mice are likely more cooperative than humans.

OMGGGG ewwwwww!!!! :sick:

Well, humans don't bite! :laugh:
  • Spanaval
    Options
    Well, humans don't bite! :laugh:

Some. :-)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Wow, very interesting.

I had always been lean-ish -- (95% for height, 50% for weight) until I was 15, where I was extremely sick and on antibiotics for a long time. I gained a ton of weight in that time and it's been there ever since.

I wonder.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I am insulin resistant and can always use more info, again thanks!